My Flock Drama... am I making good choices?

ksmith5151

May 22, 2011
Lehigh Acres, FL
Parrots
1 Senegal Parrot (Cassie) and 4 Parkeets (Tia, Fidget, Tibbin, and Skyler)
My Parakeet Flock Drama... am I making good choices?

My little flock has been 4 male parakeets and a female Senegal parrot for about 2 years now. The Senegal parrot has her own sleeping cage but they all play together all day on top of a play cage. The little parrot is pretty good with them.

The male parakeets have been together a long time but have gone back and forth at who likes who and they are all very sweet and tame. It's just recently that fights started happening between three of them. The ages of the parakeets range from 2 to 4 years old.

The Drama... (if you don't mind reading)
Last year and the year before it was Sugar and Tibbers were best buds and groomed each other and fed each other. Tibbers was a rescue parakeet that was abused and acted very shy and withdrawn until this year. He's very bold now. I've had him 3 years. Sugar this year decided that he liked Tucker (another male parakeet) a lot and they because seemingly very bonded. Suger became not interested in Tibbers anymore.

For a little while Tibbers sat alone as if he was abandoned. I was hoping he would buddy up with Jay Jay (the 4th parakeet) but didn't. A couple months ago he decided he was going to get his Suger buddy back and started fighting with Tucker for Sugars attention. They are all flighted so every day I would hear them bickering, flying around the room, and I've seen Tibbers bite and claw at Tucker for trying to be near Sugar. The past few days it's been getting worse.

Now Jay Jay in all of this (the 4th male parakeet) has been the smartest one and peacefully keeps to himself. I've never seen him groom or interact with the other 3 boys very much. He is the youngest but still quite mature.

About a week ago my cousin gave me a couple young female parakeets. They have been in a separate cage. All of the parakeets have been seeing and hearing eachther until today. I been thinking when the girls are old enough, I wouldn't mind using my couple large extra cages if I could get a least 1 of bickering trio bonded with one of the females and maybe Jay Jay would bond with the other female so he would quit acting so lonely.

So yesturday Tibbers started really going after Tucker. I had to go as far as separating the fight with my hands. So I thought it out and decided it has to be Tucker that has to be separated since Tucker is the only parakeet who likes Jay Jay a little bit. So I put Jay Jay and Tucker in a separate cage in another room. Of course Tibbers is as happy as can be because he's by Sugas and gets his way, but Suger is desperately trying to call for Tucker. I feel bad but I hope I'm doing the right thing. Jay Jay being in the other cage is happy as he normaly is.

Idealy I think it would be nice if Jay Jay and Tucker would bond with one of the females. The females colors are smokey blue and white and a blue and white pied. Jay Jay is vivid blue and white and Tucker is like a pastel yellowish green with grey wings. If he became a daddy the babies might be really pretty. I work from home so I sure woudn't mind having a couple breeding pairs. The females are much too young to breed so I don't know when to introduce the two bachlors to the females. Should I keep the females in a separate cage until they're about 8 or so months old? Do you think it's too late for Tucker to re-bond with another parakeet (hopefully maybe the smokey blue grey the female)? And I hope Sugar will be okay too without Tucker. I think he still likes Tibbers so I'm not too worried. Right now they're sitting side-by side in their cage chattering.

So currently right now, I have Tibbers and Sugar in their cage (in a different room), Jay Jay and Tucker is in another cage, and the girls are in a different cage next to the cage Tucker and Jay is in so they can see each other. If it's okay to put the girls with them, it sure would be nice to only have 2 cages for the parakeets instead of 3. Just not sure if I should yet. I'm definitly not going to put a breeding box on the cage until the girls are a year old and by then, I want to have each pair have their own cage.

----- Kimberley

Last edited:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Well, it is breeding season and males do try to mate with males, so not being able to observe your guys, I'm going to offer that as a possibility.....if it continues, the solution may be to cage everybody separately.....

Most Reactions