My Goofy Pinto Bean

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
My dog, Pinto, is the hyperactive but eager to please one of my bunch. He has learned a couple tricks and at some point maybe i'll try to find a small dog agility set for the yard. Anyhow the other day i randomly asked him to jump through my hula hoop and he didn't 'get it' at first but then i showed him what i wanted and he excitedly did it, over and over. I have to get a smaller hoop to make it look a little more impressive. I just think he is so stinkin cute. I think a lot of people forget that tiny 6 pound dogs are still DOGS. (He likes to snuggle on my lap but he loves to run and jump and explore and learn.)
So silly. Enjoy.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSmDiHCTsn0&feature=share&list=UUff3S-T6KI67sdbcuulb_zw"]Pinto jumping, third try - YouTube[/ame]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
LOVE IT!!!! I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that many people forget that little dogs ARE dogs. Giving them tasks, no matter how big or small is a GREAT idea. It will only strengthen the bond. A dog with a purpose is a HAPPY dog. :)

Pinto is AWESOME!!! I'm sure he will go GREAT with an agility set. :D

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Yup, i think everyone needs something expected of them to have a sense of well being! (And my hyper Pinto, left without any expectations, becomes a total wild man....a 'bad dog'.) He seems really proud of himself when he does what i ask.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
....the other day, i was overwhelmed, busy, stressed, etc, so i didn't walk the dogs and kind of ignored them. Pinto proceeded to roll in poop in my yard, RAN past me into the house and rolled the poop on my white area rug before i could catch him and bathe him. Yes, this is what Pinto becomes when his energy is not focused. hahaha

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek::eek::eek: YUMMY!!! :54:

I hear you though about the kind of mischief they do when they don't get worked. My Ziva chews perfectly round holes in the carpet when she is bored....or not tired enough... :32:

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
So, this morning it was time for my dogs to have their heartworm chew. I asked Pinto to jump again to earn his. I raised the hoop pretty high and he didn't want to do it at first, but then relented and did it. :) I had to order more heartworm chews (Dr Foster and Smith) so i threw a dog agility hoop jump in my shopping cart. Will see how he does and maybe pick up some weave poles at some point too and move on from there............

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Is he a Jack Russell Terrier?

When I had my Dobermans, I did agility with them. They loved it. Not only is it great exercise, but it also create an amazing bond between dog and handler. I so miss working dogs.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Very cute video! Great little dog. Thanks for sharing!

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Thanks! He is actually a Chihuahua, and the only one of my 3 that I got as a puppy. He was not an easy puppy either, so I got this idea to channel his energy into something fun. Pinto adores a challenge and seems really proud of himself when he achieves something. I can't wait to see him learn something new!
I actually love the breed, with all their quirks. I never expected to (I always wanted a greyhound, all my life, I was going to rescue greyhounds....) but then I met Pablo in 1996 and he was like the dog version of myself. I loved him so much, I started donating to Chihuahua rescues and then thought 'hey maybe i'll adopt one who has issues!' and I got Chu who was a stray and a biter and it went on from there......

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Very cute video!!! Chihuahuas are pretty eager to learn new tricks. I taught my Chihuahua to dance for his treats, he would be on his hind legs and hop around in circles. He even knows how to smile, sit, lay down, roll over, shake, high five, kiss, etc. I love my dogs!!! :D

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Little dog with big deeds
Dynamite comes in small packages
Loved the way Pinto jumped through the loops
How awesome to watch
Thanks for sharing

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Thanks! He is actually a Chihuahua, and the only one of my 3 that I got as a puppy. He was not an easy puppy either, so I got this idea to channel his energy into something fun. Pinto adores a challenge and seems really proud of himself when he achieves something. I can't wait to see him learn something new!
I actually love the breed, with all their quirks. I never expected to (I always wanted a greyhound, all my life, I was going to rescue greyhounds....) but then I met Pablo in 1996 and he was like the dog version of myself. I loved him so much, I started donating to Chihuahua rescues and then thought 'hey maybe i'll adopt one who has issues!' and I got Chu who was a stray and a biter and it went on from there......

Haha a chihuahua! I had to go and watch your video again. His markings thew me, looks like JRT. He is adorable and so eager to please. :D

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Thanks. I have had mostly brown and white Chihuahuas and with Pablo, people used to ask if he was a rat terrier. (he was more the 'deer head' type of Chihuahua, with a long muzzle and very long, slender legs). My Chu Chu is tan with the huge, round dark eyes and round head--looks more like what people think of as a Chihuahua (like Ren from Ren & Stimpy!)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Here's my deer head chihuahua Bucky!!!

20120925_225953_zps7d945526.jpg

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Ok, while we were away, Pinto's new hoop jump arrived. I no sooner unpacked and we went outside to try. He took to it immediately. I have it on the second lowest right now and will raise it after a few days. It is kind of cheap and 'cheesy' but it works and it disassembles quickly to take other places. And it's fun most of all.
This was his first try today: [ame=http://youtu.be/M3iIIyIZ4Ys]Pinto's first try with his new hoop jump - YouTube[/ame]

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
He is actually really good at it now. And just so you know, because i know you are having issues with your pup, although he is a WONDERFUL dog and i adore him, he was a real bugger to housebreak. He will be 3 on 10/3 and he was regularly having accidents up to about 6 months ago! ugh. He finally matured and he is good about it. Whew! He was about to give me gray hair.

Most Reactions

Latest posts