My greenwing is nice when my girlfriend is not in residence.

emmett518

May 15, 2013
I rescued a greenwing hybrid from a shelter about 8 months ago. Approximately 20, she was in a tiny cage, and everyone at the shelter was petrified of her. The first night she came home, she was acting very nicely. I tried to get her to step up onto my hand, and she ripped open my knuckle to the bone. The owners here must be stronger than I am, because I yelled (not at the bird), and went hopping around the room in pain, dripping blood everywhere.

Anyway, she had gotten a lot better since then. I successfully weaned her off of that yucky Walmart parrot mix, and she is now eating veges, fruits, oatmeal, nuts, a bit of homemade yogurt, a bit of chicken, beans and other good things. Spoon sized, whole wheat Shredded Wheats as a treat.

Here's the question: When my girlfriend is in residence, the bird is slightly aggressive toward me. I have to be very careful hand feeding her, offering my hand to have her step up, and walking around barefoot since she goes after my toes for a slight nip. When the girlfriend is absent, she's very well behaved and not aggressive. When the girlfriend is around, the bird loves her, and allows her to pick her up, scratch her behind the head, and pat her. I have to be very careful during that time.

Has anyone seen the presence of a person change the behavior of the bird toward another? I'd expect the bird to react to someone that they like or dislike, but I'm perplexed why my girlfriend's presence could cause the bird to change how she treats me.

Thanks
:red1:

U2gal

May 20, 2013
Sounds like your girlfriend is the macaws percieved chosen one:) 100% normal in macaws and many parrot species.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Sounds like your GW has chosen your GF and views you as competition for her attention...and that is normal for many birds.....the toe thing is something many birds do also.....there's been some research & it's thought that something like pheromones is given off by our toes that attracts parrots.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts