My Idea for a Birdie Indoor Rainforest Spa Experience

Willc

May 14, 2013
@Willc: you know that's a good idea. I think I can get those plants at IKEA. You don't think it's too thorny?

Kenichi: A technicolor mule sounds cool ;P

BoomBoom,

That is a very valid question! I actually had to call my cousin on that one. He explained that they are spines and not thorns. The spines are there to protect that plant from predators that would want to eat the plant. Our birds would of course want to eat the plant. What he said his mom would do is actually cut just below the base of the spines, all the way down as close as you can get to the base of the plant. The plant will heal and seal off the cut area rather quickly. I don't believe that they actually grow back.

I do plan on getting a couple plants, so if you would like I can report back.

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Hello! I thought I'd update this thread. I gave my plants a shower last weekend to clean off the leaves. I don’t know if it was the sound of the water pitter-pattering on the leaves but Boomer got real excited and went flying into the direct path of the stream. He even hovered 1-2 seconds in mid air to catch the drops! I let him perch on my arm where he promptly had a zen moment. He got to dry in the sun with all the plants after that.

s05y.jpg
95g1.jpg

aoi9.jpg
q4b3.jpg

v9fj.jpg
fb5t.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts