My lovebird has 36 grams

Riot

Jan 2, 2023
Media
Parrots
Lovebird
He is skinny and I have no idea why he does not eat. I gave him 2 different types of millet, a seed mix and a seeds baton. He does not eat any fruits. I did try spreading seeds on a slice of banana but he just eats the seeds on top. I did not have this problem before I've had him for about a year now.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Seeds by themselves donā€™t really make a complete diet. Birds donā€™t need fruit, which is high in sugar, but vegetables are very good for them; full of important vitamins and minerals. I donā€™t know where you live, but can you buy pellets specifically designed for birds? That might help a lot. I hope you find some more foods your bird will eat! ā¤ļø

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Has he been seen by a vet. If he is eating and losing weight, it could be diet but it could also be a health issue. If he is not eating then he needs a vet visit. You could also try changing his diet to sprouts, vegetables, and pellets to see if that helps. As mentioned above seeds don't have much of a nutritional value and normally birds on a seed diet are over weight. So I would strongly suggest a vet visit.

OP
R

Riot

Jan 2, 2023
Media
Parrots
Lovebird
Has he been seen by a vet. If he is eating and losing weight, it could be diet but it could also be a health issue. If he is not eating then he needs a vet visit. You could also try changing his diet to sprouts, vegetables, and pellets to see if that helps. As mentioned above seeds don't have much of a nutritional value and normally birds on a seed diet are over weight. So I would strongly suggest a vet visit.
There are no exotic bird vets near me. There is only one I know of but he is hundreds of kilometers away. He does have pellets in his seed mix but he does not eat them. I actually just remembered he also likes to eat parsley but even that he does not completely swallow he kinda just chews it. I would be more than happy to add more vegetables and sprouts to his diet if he would actually eat them but he doesn't. The reason why he lost so much weight is probably because he likes spending a lot of time outside his cage and in other rooms of the house so he eats less frequently. At the moment I closed his cage door and left him his seed mix in a very easy to get to spot. I'll let him outside when he wants to go to sleep because his sleeping spot is up on the furniture.

OP
R

Riot

Jan 2, 2023
Media
Parrots
Lovebird
Seeds by themselves donā€™t really make a complete diet. Birds donā€™t need fruit, which is high in sugar, but vegetables are very good for them; full of important vitamins and minerals. I donā€™t know where you live, but can you buy pellets specifically designed for birds? That might help a lot. I hope you find some more foods your bird will eat! ā¤ļø
I give him vitamin water. I am aware it is not a substitute for vegetables. I remembered just now he likes parsley. That's about it. And I'm 80% sure he only chews the leaves without actually eating them. He does not like pellets. At all. They are a part of his seed mix. Weirdly he also does not eat sunflower seeds if they dont have their shell.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
There are no exotic bird vets near me. There is only one I know of but he is hundreds of kilometers away. He does have pellets in his seed mix but he does not eat them. I actually just remembered he also likes to eat parsley but even that he does not completely swallow he kinda just chews it. I would be more than happy to add more vegetables and sprouts to his diet if he would actually eat them but he doesn't. The reason why he lost so much weight is probably because he likes spending a lot of time outside his cage and in other rooms of the house so he eats less frequently. At the moment I closed his cage door and left him his seed mix in a very easy to get to spot. I'll let him outside when he wants to go to sleep because his sleeping spot is up on the furniture.
You should leave small bowls of his favorite foods in the rooms where he likes to hang out to encourage him to eat. If he likes to perch on a book case, put a little dish of food there, etc.

Most Reactions