Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Melon season is here :D! For years now, I've looked forward to late summer through fall to find the delicious and more unusual types of melons that aren't available year round.

This year in particular, I am finding myself not only enjoying melon, but obsessing over it like I can't get enough of it :eek:! I must have a couple on hand at all times. My absolute favorite is Casaba, which when ripe is not too sweet, super juicy, and tastes like "cucumber-melon" :32:. Also a hybrid of Casaba (crossed with a type of cantaloupe) called Crenshaw which tastes similar. I also absolutely love Galia, which looks like a cantaloupe at first glance, but is light greenish white inside. Galia tastes like it's half cantaloupe but more mild, and half honeydew but not overpoweringly sweet like some honeydew can be. It's just perfect :). I will also eat cantaloupe or Tuscan cantaloupe, or others, but the above mentioned are my favorite. I forgot what Canary melon tastes like, but I have one on the table waiting to ripen right now. I hope to find a Sharlyn this year!

My favorite way to eat it is to cut it up in bite size chunks and freeze it. It's best when it's not completely frozen yet. If you have sticks, you can always cut in slices, and eat them like a popsicle. If melon is frozen solid, it has a texture similar to a popsicle type juice bar. The exception to this is watermelon. That has so much water that it tends to freeze too hard, so I find it's best either fresh or partially frozen. Of course chilled from the fridge is great too.

I don't expect anyone to have a melon "obsession" like I do, but I'm curious if there are any other melon connoisseurs out there?

Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Obsession
noun ob·ses·sion \äb-ˈse-shən, əb-\
: a state in which someone thinks about someone or something constantly or frequently especially in a way that is not normal.

Uh oh... :52:

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Nope... I can't eat any type of melon. Texture or something :)

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I like mellon... but I've never heard of the ones your talking about lol. We have watermelon, cantalope, and honeydew... that's it. Lol but I love all three.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I like mellon... but I've never heard of the ones your talking about lol. We have watermelon, cantalope, and honeydew... that's it. Lol but I love all three.

Those 3 are available everywhere year round. The other ones come into some of the supermarkets only during melon season. I need to find a farmer's market around here.

Doublete, WHAT??! :eek: ...lol

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Hmm I'll have to keep my eyes open. I'm curious to try some then.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hmm I'll have to keep my eyes open. I'm curious to try some then.

Definitely do! But watch out... it can be addicting :). Maybe Pumpkin would like some? My birds think it's disgusting.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

Oooh! I bet he would. Lol he like trying new things.... usually.

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Woah! I've never heard of those types of fruit before...and now I really want to go out and look for some! Maybe you'll find luck in chinatown?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Julie, Alex will thank you for this later, I'm sure. I hadn't heard of many of them, so I will put those on his shopping list when he goes to the farmer's market. I should probably google them first and attach pictures, LOL. :D I LOOOVE melon! Only downfall is I get up several times at night ... you probably know why. :32:

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I bought a Lemon Drop Melon this past weekend. So good. I use to freeze melon and grapes for my son in the summer. He still does it to this day. :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Julie, I wish we could have a melon sampling party at your place! I've never seen some of the melons that have been available locally recently, but I am definitely enjoying them (especially the lemon drop ones).

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I've never met a melon I didn't like, but I've never seen those varieties even at the farmer's market. Sounds wonderful!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Julie, Alex will thank you for this later, I'm sure. I hadn't heard of many of them, so I will put those on his shopping list when he goes to the farmer's market. I should probably google them first and attach pictures, LOL. :D I LOOOVE melon! Only downfall is I get up several times at night ... you probably know why. :32:

Why??... Kidding :D. Yeah, that's the drawback since I eat a lot of it in the evening.

I bought a Lemon Drop Melon this past weekend. So good. I use to freeze melon and grapes for my son in the summer. He still does it to this day. :)

I've never seen a melon here labeled "Lemon Drop". I'll have to look that one up. I bet it's a hybrid, and has a different name too.

Julie, I wish we could have a melon sampling party at your place! I've never seen some of the melons that have been available locally recently, but I am definitely enjoying them (especially the lemon drop ones).

Ooh a melon party would be fun! Too bad we live too far...

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I just googled Lemon Drop melon. It is a hybrid of one of my favorites (Galia) crossed with a "wild melon" with a high citric acid content. Reportedly tastes "lemony". Not too much info on it. Now I'm curious, and must find one.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
We love watermelon. One year about 2 years ago, during the summer we went through at least one watermelon every couple of days. I would buy two at a time. My daughter would pick good ones every time. We ate so much watermelon. :32:

Then the crop last year weren't so good, so we ate less and this year I am not thrilled with what is available either. We have bought like 2 so far this year. I love cantaloupe, honeydew. I am more of a melon eater then anyone else in my home. But when it comes to watermelon we all eat it.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I love ripe melons, but am not picky for a particular variety. This time of year Costco has a nice selection of California-grown products. As a bonus, this is also fresh cherry season!

Some of my birds eat the melon-flesh, but what they all, and I mean all crave are the seeds! When preparing their fruit and veggie cups, the seeds go on top in a clearly defined mound, otherwise they immediately dump the contents in search of that last seed!!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I love ripe melons, but am not picky for a particular variety. This time of year Costco has a nice selection of California-grown products. As a bonus, this is also fresh cherry season!

Some of my birds eat the melon-flesh, but what they all, and I mean all crave are the seeds! When preparing their fruit and veggie cups, the seeds go on top in a clearly defined mound, otherwise they immediately dump the contents in search of that last seed!!

I love cherries right now too! They love the melon seeds? I'll have to try it!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
They love the melon seeds? I'll have to try it!

Julie, it's like caviar for all my birds except the Eclectus. They go wild! I always have one perched on each shoulder while slicing/dicing/peeling and assembling the chop, and they immediately hop down to the cutting board and start scavenging.

I assume the tiny bit of material inside the shell is tasty and/or nutritious.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Melon season helps make up for three digit days. We have a wonderful farmers market, I'll have to try some of the melons you mentioned, Julie. I usually just buy watermelon, honeydew or cantaloupe. Frozen melon sounds good too. Melon seeds are popular with my birds, but they don't like the flesh.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
They love the melon seeds? I'll have to try it!

Julie, it's like caviar for all my birds except the Eclectus. They go wild! I always have one perched on each shoulder while slicing/dicing/peeling and assembling the chop, and they immediately hop down to the cutting board and start scavenging.

I assume the tiny bit of material inside the shell is tasty and/or nutritious.

Scott, I tried it, but it wasn't a hit here. Today I cut open a Canary melon (all melon seeds seem to look the same except for watermelon). I first offered the individual seeds by hand. Robin liked them. Griffin happily ate 1, then didn't want any more. Raven wouldn't even get his beak near it. I didn't try the budgies because their beaks are just too small. I then put them in a bowl for Robin, but I think he found the whole mass of seeds (with connective tissue and all) overwhelming and unappetizing. I'll try again when the Casaba I have ripens.

Most Reactions

Latest posts