my new adopted macaw is plucking

gaboonkiss

Jan 13, 2015
i recently adopted a blue and gold macaw that is badly plucked she started to grow some feathers back when i first brought her home but after a couple of weeks she started plucking again the vet has checked her but she was very abused before she went to the rescue any ideas would be great

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Diet? Schedule? Cage size? Toys...does she play with them, what have you given her, does she know how to play? You say abused how does she react to everything? How do you interact with her?

You can try to distract her with toys (every time she goes to mess with feathers distract her with a toy) but plucking is a habit that is hard to break. There is a plucking thread around here somewhere...

There is a chance she will stop once you have had her for awhile but theres a chance she will always mess with her feathers too.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
James, I'm sorry your B&G is having plucking problems. This is a new bird you've adopted recently?

I think this is the link riddick mentioned. You may find something useful.

http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html

I hope your new B&G's plucking problem will improve after she's had a little time to adjust to her new home. Please keep us updated.

OP
G

gaboonkiss

Jan 13, 2015
i have had her a little over a month she don't play with toys much she will chew on paper towel rolls once in a while for the most part she paces on her play top and squawks i am working on teaching her to step up she does let me pet her and scratch her head her cage is 4 feet by 3 feet by 6 feet inside she has plastic chains , ropes and coconut shells on a chain for toys she was kept in a very small cage in her own feces for years not sure how long or how old she is hoping she is going to get better over time she is still learning to hold things with er feet to chew on things or eat

OP
G

gaboonkiss

Jan 13, 2015
oh diet id zoopreem nut blend and fresh fruit ,nuts and some pasta here and then she is only locked in her cage for at the most 4 hour during daylight hours and at night most of the time she is able to come and go as she wants

Most Reactions

Latest posts