My New Baby...Questions.

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I have a few questions (and photos) regarding my new 9 week old Conure.
1st - Was trying to establish whether she was a Pineapple or Cinnamon. The photo with her stretched wings shows yellow which would indicate a Pineapple. BUT, the bottom shows a bit of lime green (I think). Any conclusions?

2nd - She will NOT eat or drink while in her cage. But she will eat if I hand feed her (Solids) at the table. Already eating and liking her blend plus apples, kale, pineapple, etc.

3rd - She refuses to perch outside her cage. I have a playground but she refuses to sit on it. She will only sit with me and on my hand, chest or shoulder.
Even getting her to sit on the edge of a food bowl (on table) is short lived as she jumps down and runs to me. Even if I am across the room she will fly to me. Her wings were clipped but obviously not enough.

I am assuming that all of this is due to her new surroundings? She's only been home for 24 hours. But am surprised that she will only eat if I hold her.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That’s a yellow under the wing, so pineapple :)

As for the rest, she is still really new, and probably very nervous. Just take things slow, the rest will come. It sounds like she at least views YOU as a safe place to be, and that is HUGE. Good luck, and congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Such a cute little thing. Still very much a baby by the sounds of it. Put yourself in her shoes-She may be fully weaned and eating solid foods well but being fed by a human hand is all she knows. Sounds like you need to teach her that she eats in her cage and it's ok if a human isn't there to feed her. If I were in your position, I'd put the dish in the cage then mess around in it with your fingers, pretend to eat some etc... and then stand or sit right by her cage while she eats. I bet slowly but surely she'd take the hint and you could just gradually back off until she no longer needs you around to eat:)

AkridChaos

Aug 31, 2017
USA
Parrots
Rescue Budgie: Snowball (blue/grey)
Normal Budgie: Oliver (yellow/green)
Black Capped Conure: Warbeak
Parrotlet: Lily, Rest In Peace
Canary-Winged Parakeet: Stryker
Hahaha! Don’t worry, I wonder if it’s a conure thing. Warbeak is almost a year old now and he still refuses to perch anywhere that is not me generally (but he does sit on top of his cage/playstand as long as I’m nearby),and if I start to walk away, he stops everything he was doing (eating breakfast usually) and flies at me, to make sure he’s “in the know”. Doesn’t matter how hungry he is, he’ll stop everything to come to me. I don’t mind but I do worry sometimes because I know he’s hungry and still chooses me over food. So I’ve learned to just do my best to be near his food often enough for him to eat when he’s out of his cage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts