My new fire bellied toads! :)

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
Just thought I'd share my two new additions. :) Last night I added 2 fire bellied toads to the family. I had one once when I was 13-14 (so about 7-8 years ago), but sadly at the time didn't know what I was doing and ended up giving him to my science teacher in my middle school when I couldn't get him to eat. Well, I am TONS more responsible now (obviously), and decided to take the plunge and get a pair. I let my sister pick one out and name him (she named him Arnold), and I haven't quite decided the name for the other one. I think Mushu. Anyway, genders are hard to tell fire bellies, but I know for sure at least one is a male because he started barking tonight. :p Here are two pics that I took. It's hard to see them because my camera is crappy and they blend in with the moss, but I'll take some better pictures tomorrow in the sun light to try and get them to turn out better.

HPIM3969EDITCustom.jpg

HPIM3974EDIT.jpg

I have to say, they sure have an awesome appetite! And I can't believe how quickly they settled in. They've been exploring their habitat a bit, burrowing around in the moss, and soaking in the water. They love to pal around too! Back when I owned just a single one I never knew that they were such social frogs. These two take a lot of interest in each other. They are such cute little buggers! :D Just thought I'd share! :)

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Very different but cool
wish you all the best this time around

MadDog

Nov 17, 2010
How cool! A fellow herp (reptile and amphibian) owner! If you like that kind of stuff, you would love to see my collection. :) We have four snakes, one snapping turtle, and some inverts as well. That's just our herp and invert pets. We also have several mammal pets. Our house is full and we wouldn't want it any other way! :)

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Very different but cool
wish you all the best this time around
Thanks! :) Oh, they're definitely spoiled little frogs!

How cool! A fellow herp (reptile and amphibian) owner! If you like that kind of stuff, you would love to see my collection. We have four snakes, one snapping turtle, and some inverts as well. That's just our herp and invert pets. We also have several mammal pets. Our house is full and we wouldn't want it any other way!

Yup, I LOVE reptiles and amphibians! I would love to see pics of your collection! :) I'm kind of limited right now to the herps I can get because I have so many other animals, lol (5 chinchillas, a cat, a dog, and 2 birds!). I'm shocked my mom agreed to the fire bellies, but she did! I'm so happy!

I know I can't wait until the day I can own a ball python too, I've been wanting one for a long time! But she says absolutely no snakes that large *hmph*... She loved my old garter though. I'd love to own a blue tongued skink as well, and a beardie... they're all high on my list, lol. Maybe even a scorpion one day too, they're fascinating! :D I 100% agree with you, I would want my life any other way than to have a bunch of pets to share it with!

I did add one more fire belly tonight! Instead of a brown one like the two I got the other night, I got a green one that looks JUST like the one I had 7 years ago! He is super spunky too! But 3 is definitely the max for their terrarium, and honestly, they eat so many crickets I don't know if I could afford to feed more than 3 of the little gluttons! :p

Got some more pictures:

This is Arnold
HPIM3984EDITCustom.jpg

HPIM3980EDITCustom.jpg

This is "Mushu" or "Cricket", haven't decided yet.
HPIM3987EDITCustom.jpg

And here's the newbie. :) Haven't decided on a name yet.
HPIM4001EDITCustom.jpg

HPIM3996EDITCustom.jpg

My sister doesn't understand why I would want a pet I can't handle. But honestly, they're just fun to watch! They're beautiful for one, and I still can't believe how ferocious of hunters these little guys are! With fire bellies, if it's smaller than them and moves, it's fair game! They'll eat ANYTHING! lol. I'm just feeding them crickets right now, but eventually I want to try mealies and earth worms on them. I love these little guys!

Last edited:
OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Got some more pics today! And um... saw frogs mating for the first time, lol! I was just taking picture of them since one of them caught my attention with their barking (now I know which one! lol), and I started taking pictures. Well, after about the 3rd picture, Arnold was on top of the newcomer! That's gonna be a lot of froggie eggs....

It started that I was just taking pics of them in the water dish...
HPIM4011EDITCustom.jpg

HPIM4013EDITCustom.jpg

Then BAM, lol!
HPIM4017EDITCustom.jpg

HPIM4018EDITCustom.jpg

HPIM4020EDITCustom.jpg

At least they are "comfortable" in their environment.. lol. :p

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
They sure are happy and content, you have done a wonderful job
I only have a brain for birds......... what do they eat insects etc (which kind)
You obviously purchase there "treats" from a pet shop correct
Think of it this way, you are going to become an aunt soon
Thanks for the pic's, they great

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Yup, insects. :) They eat crickets as a staple, and then can eat mealworms, earthworms, and even certain small types of fish as a treat. Pretty much, if it's nutritional and smaller than them, they can eat it. :p And yeah, I have this AWESOME exotics store around me called House of Tropicals (that's actually where the green frog came from, the 2 brown ones are from petco), and they carry everything I need. That's where I'll be now getting their crickets from (petco I found out really ripped me off...) and any "treats" for them.

And I'm not sure what I'll do if they really lay all those eggs! lol. Let's just say I now think I have 2 females and one male, so that's about 200-300 eggs. Now, if I successfully raise all of those eggs, that'll be about 300 full grown toads... now THAT is a lot of mouths to feed! :p If they do lay eggs, I may ask the House of Tropicals if they want the majority of them and then just raise a few myself. It's gonna be interesting! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts