My new pi

deshud

Jul 13, 2013
Parrots
1 parrotlett
1 whitecapped pi
soon 1 blue headed pi
My blue headed baby was delivered yesterday. He had a very long day, just stood in the corner, wouldn't eat or drink, I was very concerned. I watched him all night, I quarantine my birds in my room. But this morning he's active, eating, and very curious. He is scared of me, so I'm taking it slow. His favourite food are nutriberries so I am going to use them as our favourite treats. His hatch date is end of January, he's hand fed, but I don't think he's been socialized a lot. He is used to be in with his sisters. I have another pi ( Ivan) white capped, but he's nine.( i adopted him about three months ago) This is my first medium sized baby, and I want to train him right. I need help. When should I start taking him out of his cage? I tend to just open the door and let them come out when they're ready, but his breeder said he has never done that yet, she's always had to get him out of his cage to go to the play stand. She said he's starting to step up. I am going to be ready threads on training, ect… but any quick pointers specific to pi's would be helpful. I need to find a name as well! I would send pictures, but I don't know how. I am going to have to read up on that as well.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congratulations on your new baby!
I have a 2 year old Blue headed Pi, and he is amazing:)
We got him last August, and just let him come out of the cage on his own, which he did immediately, but he was already over a year old then
. I think that taking it slow with your baby is the way to go, unless he will step up for you to come out of the cage. I wouldn't force him at this point.

That is only my opinion, though, and I am hoping that someone who raises babies will be able to help!

Here is a link to help you with posting pics as I am dying to see him!!!
http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures.html

parrotlover1176

Apr 7, 2014
Parrots
Senegal, Maximillian Pionus, 2 Cockatiels, Ruppell's
Congrats on your baby!! I do hope to see pictures soon!

OP
D

deshud

Jul 13, 2013
Parrots
1 parrotlett
1 whitecapped pi
soon 1 blue headed pi
Just an update on Oz. Things are going great! I will post pictures once I figure out how to post them, I keep trying, but failing. He's learning to trust me more every day. Loves his nutraberries, so those will be his training treats. What a great baby!

I have a question, I also have an older WCP, during the day I have Oz and Ivan in side by side cages ( Oz still sleeps in my room at night, so I can watch him) I had them out in the same room on opposite sides for a short time supervised. Oz tried to fly to him to be on the same cage. Ivan can't fly because he was in a small cage for a long time he has no muscle strength, I think, or maybe he never learned to fly, I'm not sure. I didn't want to chance anything as Oz is still a baby, so I took him out of the room

For those that has more then one bird, when do you ever trust them to be together, or do you always supervise them? I am renovating my bird room, and would love to have a cage free room and have them together eventually.

Thank you
Debbie

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Congratulations on your new baby. I went from 1 to 5 birds last year and none of them interact yet. On the same perch is as far as I have gone with supervision. My birds are verying size so that makes a difference. You just need to supervise and they will let you know when and if they are ready to be friendly. :)

Most Reactions