My new quaker

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I got my Quaker from her breeder when she was 12 weeks old, she's now 3. She's a DNA-proved female, but she talks up a storm all day long, every day. Her voice isn't the clearest, but you can understand her, and she probably knows between 10-20 words/phrases, and that's just what she has picked-up from me and the other birds, I didn't purposely train her to speak. And usually the males are much better talkers, most females don't speak much at all. But Lita Ford does, lol.

Years ago, my [now ex] Brother-In-Law bought a young quaker parrot and named him Sparky. Never DNA sexed but always referred to as a "he". I remember my BIL asking which sex could talk better and was pretty satisfied that he had chosen what was deemed as a male. Well, Sparky did indeed learn to talk, and talk a lot! Sparky picked up many words and phrases while my BIL had him. When my BIL and sister ended up going back to my BIL's country, they had to leave Sparky behind and left Sparky with someone else. Years later, Sparky laid an egg. I thought it was pretty hilarious! As it turns out, Sparky ended up being the biggest talker of a group of quakers and being a female to boot!

So yeah.... can't necessarily say that males talk more.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
C3Mommy
How's your new Quaker doing? We love updates. Did you get a larger more quaker sized cage? I had to put my rescue in a bigger cage as well, found a great deal on eBay for a brand new large cage. How are the love birds? Everyone getting along? I can't trust my quaker with my parakeets :( . Are you planning to fo DNA? I'm going to with Penny next month! I'm glad she is past puberty, I've been reading that it can be a very difficult time for both you and your quaker, starts at about 8 month or at year to 2 years. How old is yours for you know?

Last edited:
OP
C3mommy

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
C3Mommy
How's your new Quaker doing? We love updates. Did you get a larger more quaker sized cage? I had to put my rescue in a bigger cage as well, found a great deal on eBay for a brand new large cage. How are the love birds? Everyone getting along? I can't trust my quaker with my parakeets :( . Are you planning to fo DNA? I'm going to with Penny next month! I'm glad she is past puberty, I've been reading that it can be a very difficult time for both you and your quaker, starts at about 8 month or at year to 2 years. How old is yours for you know?
Sorry I just saw this.. She's doing amazing! Switched her into my lovebirds old cage and going to get a bigger cage with taxes.

I also emailed Harrison's and Lafeber's foods for samples and both companies sent me some. Received Harrison's yesterday and to my surprise she took right to it! Still waiting on Lafeber's sample to come.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

OP
C3mommy

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
Yes eventually I want to have "her" DNA tested. I am not positive how old "she" is.
C3Mommy

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts