My Newly Rescued Medium Sulpher Crested Cockatoo

SunnysMom

Aug 24, 2020
Hi everyone, my name is Elena and I am the proud new mom of a medium Sulphur crested cockatoo. I adopted him from an amazing avian vet that runs a bird rescue. I was originally interested in a macaw that they had listed but Sunny picked me and I fell for him on the spot. The adoption coordinator that takes care of the birds had all of his intake info with the words he knows but she said she had never heard him talk. Well, the second I leaned down to say hi he said hello baby and didn’t stop talking from there. He said more words that weren’t even on his list. As soon as we got home and I opened his travel carrier he ran right out and climbed right up my arm. He is 17 years old and we were told that the previous owner surrendered him because their grandchild was spending a lot of time with them and he got jealous and started plucking and screaming. I work from home and have for years in addition to having five children so he is getting plenty of attention. I am clearly his chosen person but he will let the children pet him and he’ll sit with them briefly as well. He is such a sweet good boy and we feel blessed that he chose us. :white1:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Elena and Sunny, lovely intro! Your narrative best states the case for allowing a bird to choose. Enjoying a variety of people suggests superb socialization.

Unsure how long you've had Sunny, wonder if you are still in the "honeymoon" phase of one month or longer? A primary caution is interaction with your kids - please closely supervise and learn to read Sunny's body language for potential frustration.

Plenty of cockatoo enthusiasts here, let us know if you have questions or desire advice.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello and welcome!
Thank you fir taking in a rescue or re home parrot.
We are a support system for the good and bad days, and just to share stories and pictures and the love of parrots

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome!

A few huge thing with cockatoos-- they are very very very hormonal birds, so 12 hours of sleep each night (if not 14 in some cases) on a set schedule is essential for mood, hormone and immune regulation.

Another really important thing is to pet on the head and neck only-- no stroking/cuddles/under wings. Even head and neck petting can send them into a hormonal burst if you allow them to do it for too long. They WANT to be touched, but you have to frame your relationship so that it has boundaries and is as non-sexual as possible.

In terms of screaming, never attend to screams for attention (if you leave and they scream, do not come back in until your bird is quiet for 10 seconds...re-start if they start screaming before 10 Mississippi). I will post a link to another, more detailed post of mine on that issue.

how old is Sunny and have you had birds before?

Most Reactions

Latest posts