My sexed female IRN doing male display?

misskale

Mar 4, 2013
Hi all,

So, in addition to my blue crown conure I have an irn who is a little over one.

When we bought her we had been told that she was sexed female. She was one of a pair who had both been sexed because a breeder wanted to buy a male. Up until recently she was doing female displays to me but now she is doing full on male bowing. She also seems to be darkening around her ring, but kind of uniformly?

Is it more likely that she was given the wrong sexing results or that since I didn't respond to the female displays she's trying male ones to attach since she's seen my male BCC display to me?

I'm sorry this is backlit but you can clearly see her doing it about midway through the video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzT0CBh49Bw"]Janni - YouTube[/ame]

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Is she rung? If not, the breeder may have mixed up the sexing results. Or maybe the results are right, and she's a girl after all!

In my not-so-professional opinion, she does look more like a boy than a girl, but if it's really important to you it wouldn't hurt to get her DNA tested (again). I've never had female ringnecks bow to me, but there's a first time for everything!

OP
M

misskale

Mar 4, 2013
She is banded. It doesn't actually matter to me. It's more that I know the person who wanted the male had originally put the deposit on the bird I got contingent on the results. I just am kind of wondering if I should contact the seller.

It does change what the behavioral expectations are, but it won't matter to me on a deep level.

Last edited:

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Beautiful bird. Looks like a male to me too. I have heard of females doing the male mating dance though.

OP
M

misskale

Mar 4, 2013
Thank you! The breeder who had wanted to buy her/him was apparently sad because she/he looked much better than the sibling.

I couldn't find anything on a female doing the bow, which was why I asked (though I know they form same sex pairs sometimes).

My husband and I will just wait I guess to see.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
That definitely looks like the beginning of a dark ring around the neck to me! I think you may have indeed ended up with the male instead of the female.

randy

Jun 16, 2014
springfield Illinois
Parrots
1 via-verda ( hybrid )
When I want the sex of any bird other than obvious marked birds I get them surgically sexed. It tells if they are mature and without a doubt the sex. My vet marks under the wing with a tattoo. Males under right wing , females under left wing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts