Names for Baby Boy Rat

RatAtaT2693

Mar 22, 2016
West Rutland, VT
So I've decided, even though I was originally adamant about not doing so, to get a new rat.

There were a couple of reasons, including
  • One of my fosters died yesterday
  • My oldest is approaching three, which is beyond ancient in rat years.
  • Once he passes, I'll only have two personal rats who are also ancient
  • I desperately need a new program rat
  • I haven't been nearly as effective with rehabilitation since my last program boy died
  • Rats can't be alone.

Mainly what changed my mind is that the person I'm getting my new boy from raises shoulder rats and accidentally got a pregnant rat from his breeder. (Sometimes if you don't separate them quickly enough, you get oopsie litters.) This is the equivalent of getting a hand raised, well bred, healthy, overly socialized, safe to free fly bird for, like, ten bucks. Not something that happens often, if ever, and couldn't have happened at a better time.

So, here's some fun: I've had or have fostered a lot of rats, so my best or favorite names have already been given. (And I don't do "Rattus II" for them.) I'm looking for a unisex or male name that means "life" because I'm a bit cheesy and this rat will be arriving after the deaths of three other rats. Regardless of what he looks like or how he acts, he'll be a great refresher after what has been a horrible start to a new year. I've also been looking into names of guides, like Virgil from Dante's Divine Comedy because I'm a Lit geek and he'll be working as a program rat. (A rat who helps the more skittish, undersocialized fosters understand that the big scary hoomans are not, in fact, there to eat you.)

Edit: While I know some of these previous names have these sounds, I try to avoid the "sssss," "ch," and "sk" sounds because angry rats make sounds like "ch ch ch ch" at intruders. Obviously this doesn't make much difference regarding well socialized rats, but we will be working some more skittish ones as well. I also try to stick to two syllables. (See why this is a bit complicated?) Even if your suggestion doesn't follow these rules, I still want to hear it.

Names of my previous babies are:
  • Romulus
  • Remus
  • Adolphus (Bit of a wolf theme for these guys.)
  • Shamus
  • Bruté
  • Rasco
  • Alexi
  • Peach
  • Demeter
  • Snowflake (I didn't pick this one, and I'm not fond of naming my animals after inanimate objects or other animals.)
  • Daisy
  • Elizabeth/Liz
  • Teaneck (Shelter/rescue name.)

I've been considering:
  • Virgil
  • Tao
  • And Julius (Continuing the Roman theme.)

I've been perusing the baby name generators, but no joy there. Maybe you'll have something better.:D

Also, if some of these names seem big for such small animals, it's because my rule of thinking is if you name your guard dog Mr. Tiddles, he'll be the meanest hound you've ever met. The same rule applies in reverse. "Daisy" has taken no less than four or five chunks out of my flesh, while Shamus, who was originally "Adonis" lets me roll him on his back and stroke his tummy.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I found this post intersting :). I'm not familiar with many different types of pets, and I love hearing about it. I have heard about the lifespans of rats before, and wow that sure is short. Must be hard since like any pet you get attached. Thanks for explaining what a program rat is.

So you don't do repeats lol, I've recycled names with birds a few times. Sometimes a name is just too good!

How about Osiris... See if you like the meaning here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris

Out of your picks, I like Virgil ;).

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Zoltar is greek for life apparently? Personally I like Cupid :D And out of your list, I'm a Virgil fan too!

OP
R

RatAtaT2693

Mar 22, 2016
West Rutland, VT
I found this post intersting :). I'm not familiar with many different types of pets, and I love hearing about it. I have heard about the lifespans of rats before, and wow that sure is short. Must be hard since like any pet you get attached. Thanks for explaining what a program rat is.

So you don't do repeats lol, I've recycled names with birds a few times. Sometimes a name is just too good!

How about Osiris... See if you like the meaning here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osiris

Out of your picks, I like Virgil ;).

Yeah, the average lifespan is around 2 years, though some have gotten extra lucky and had ones live for five. They share, from what I've read, a lot of the same care requirements as birds, like preventing respiratory illnesses, trying to find a good vet, and training to be off-leash. Though their diet isn't nearly as tricky, thank heavens. They eat pretty much everything we do, and, pound for pound, are some of the best pets I've ever had. But as I've stated before, that lifespan is a killer. Additionally, rats live in groups, called mischiefs, and they die in mischiefs as well. I've lost three rats since February, and I'm afraid that if I don't find my current old man a girlfriend (he's neutered), I'll be cremating a fourth by June. (They can die of loneliness.) It's actually what brought me here to research big birds.

I pulled the term "program rat" out of my rear since the number of rats trainers out there is about 2, and this is a proven method for taming rats. So it's a Ratatat exclusive.

Can't bring myself to repeat names. It'd be like dating someone with the same name as your ex, even if the previous owner of the name had positive connotations. >_>

Definitely leaning towards Virgil, but I love Osiris. Nickname: Ossy. :p Rats have a very limited vocabulary making it important to keep their names to about two syllables. Even my super long names were shortened to Remy and Rome and Addy or Phu-Phu.

Last edited:

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Okay gotta laugh at the short name - syllables - limited vocab thing. You can teach them to talk?

OP
R

RatAtaT2693

Mar 22, 2016
West Rutland, VT
Okay gotta laugh at the short name - syllables - limited vocab thing. You can teach them to talk?

Talk? No, lol. But we can teach them to communicate. They are actually quite expressive for an animal that is measured in grams, provided you prove to them early that you will listen. My boys will come to the cage when I walk by and, if they want out, they climb right on the door. If they don't want out, they hang back a little and wait for treats. The door slides, and if they are grabbing the bars and I say, "Paws. Watch your paws," they'll pull their hands/paws off the bars so I can open the door. I can especially tell with my paraplegic old man because he will grab onto the bars and do this shimmy thing I really can't describe. "I don't want to be touched" or "stahp" is expressed with a cat-like demeanor while they push you gently away with their hand, and then "pay attention to me" is a nip on the toe from my undersocialized girl. The boys just crawl up on my shoulder and lick my cheek. We have a member on our forum whose girl would use her front paws to basically drive/steer her human.

Many people train them to do agility as well. All of mine are litterbox trained. Even the old man who can barely make it into the box.

They just have a short attention span, so if it takes me a solid minute to say their name and whip out a treat, then training is never going to happen.

They also ride shoulder.

Last edited:

Most Reactions