Nanday pics and questions! help!

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
Hi All,
just got my pretty Nanday boy Richard over the weekend.
he was handled mainly by the man of the house in his last home, and for the most part he is very friendly, but he ADORES my fiance and chooses him over me everytime.
if my fiance leaves the room, he will scream for him, if he is on my fiance, forget it, I can't remove him. Even if my fiance tries to remove him from his own shoulder, Richard will bite him. (not to draw blood, but harder then a nibble)
Anything I can do to help Richard bond to me? should I just not allow my fiance to handle Richard until Richard bonds to me? Will Richard ever bond to me? When my fiance is not home, Richard loves to sit with me, talks with me, grooms my face and fingers and is super sweet.

any suggestions?

Also I have not seen many members with Nanday's, is there a reason for that, are they not popular? :green2:

pretty boy Richard

Hanging out on his temp play stand

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Your Richard is very pretty! I've seen a couple with nandays on the forum and I don't remember hearing anything bad about nandays either.

Sounds like he bonded to your fiancé. If he rejects the bird he should eventually bond to you but that could take a long time. But he is new to the household and might bond to you too once he settles in. He is familiar with males so thats who he is most comfortable with at the moment.

Our cockatoo Ivory picked my stepfather at first because she came from an all male household. She would nip or refuse to step up when he had her but I would just force the issue every time instead of letting her chose. Now that my stepfather pays minimal attention to her and my mother takes care of her and does everything with her she is more bonded to my mother than my stepfather. She still really likes him but she is more easy going and likes pretty much everyone now.

On a side note is that your conures current cage? The dowel perches aren't good for a birds feet. A couple different perches differing in both size and material is best!

OP
NandayMom

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
Your Richard is very pretty! I've seen a couple with nandays on the forum and I don't remember hearing anything bad about nandays either.

Sounds like he bonded to your fiancé. If he rejects the bird he should eventually bond to you but that could take a long time. But he is new to the household and might bond to you too once he settles in. He is familiar with males so thats who he is most comfortable with at the moment.

Our cockatoo Ivory picked my stepfather at first because she came from an all male household. She would nip or refuse to step up when he had her but I would just force the issue every time instead of letting her chose. Now that my stepfather pays minimal attention to her and my mother takes care of her and does everything with her she is more bonded to my mother than my stepfather. She still really likes him but she is more easy going and likes pretty much everyone now.

On a side note is that your conures current cage? The dowel perches aren't good for a birds feet. A couple different perches differing in both size and material is best!

thanks! And yes, that is the cage he came with, we are in the process of getting a new one! Hopefully within a few weeks!
are the dowls ok for him to be on his play top?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Nandays can be loud, which discourages some people, but so can a lot of parrots. They make great pets.

I agree with having your fiance spending minimal time with Richard and you spending the bulk of the time with him. It will take some time, but I bet he comes around.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
If hes not spending a lot of time on the playstand then its alright though small for his size. If you are going to have him out on it a lot a natural wood or textured PVC type is the better option. There are also metal playstands with the dowels that you can dress up with toys, rope, nets, and pretty much anything they can climb on! KiwiS on the forum has a good example of doing this for their gcc. My cockatiels spend time on a dowel when they come out to the top of my big stacker cage. However, its only about once a week and I'd really like to change it to something else. Most of their time is spent on rope, natural wood (like java), and flat surfaces. You have temp playstand on the top of the picture so if you are replacing it soon with something else I wouldn't worry about it! Do you have any particular stands in mind?

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
The cage is really way too small for a Nanday. That's a parakeet cage. :(

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Kero she did mention that its the cage he came with and she is getting him a new one in a few weeks! A few weeks in a small clean cage with out time won't kill him.;)

I keep my sun in a 30X24X26 cage and my gcc each have a cage that is 36X24X21. Both my cages are stacker cages so thats why the height is smaller than a normal cage. Honestly, only my sun uses the height he is given. My two gcc don't do much with the height.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
First, Welcome! I have to say I LOVE Nandays:)
In my eyes, they are one of the most beautiful species out there! Love the lime green color with black head, turquoise chest, and red legs.

They're fairly popular Conures, though not as much as Suns and GCC. No particular reason. Like Karen said, they are known to be noisy and loud, but same with the Sun. I think Suns became more popular because of the striking colors.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Ah I own that cage! I just took my female cockatiels out of that cage and put them in the bottom of my double stacker. Its a good cage. The only thing I didn't like about it was it didn't have the feeder doors and the tray was plastic. I found it on ebay fairly cheap not sure if you ordered it or not yet!

OP
NandayMom

NandayMom

Feb 8, 2014
Parrots
Rauri (Sun Conure)
FWIW you can get that cage on eBay for $115.

I have had HORRIBLE experience with Ebay purchases and will gladly pay the extra from pet co. besides I get $5 back for every $100 spent so I like buying things there, lol

jbail1026

Aug 6, 2012
Media
Lexington, KY
Parrots
Family bird: Yellow-Naped Amazon (George '88)
My girl: Turquoise Peachfaced lovebird (Ollie Belle, hatched 9/1/13)
Oh, I had a Nanday for years and years. He was a special needs bird (his first owner who abandoned him at the pet hospital I worked at was a smoker and Homer lost most of his toes). He was such a people bird, but definitely liked me best. I would make sure to spend some one on one time with him everyday, away from your fiance. Conures are such smarties. I recommend starting to clicker train him. That will get him responding to you and earning treats. It's a great way to build a relationship. Congrats on your new Nanday!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
this is the cage we are getting him
https://secure.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=2290937

and I am pretty crafty and plan on making a play area for him - will start on that when I get paid next, lol

Look up HQ flight cage, it's better price then that cage. I used to have a Nanday but she lives with my best friend still. She always preferred him over me BUT I can handle her just fine as long as he is not home. She would chat with me, play with me, act very cute, etc. But the moment he comes home walking through the door, she would take off flying right to him and that was it. She will not let me touch her what so ever. And my god were they loud with the constant scream they do. I dealt with her for 3 years before I moved and she was about 3 years old when we got her so she's about 20 years old now. He still plays with her good now days as she still loves him since day 1. I give up trying at that time cause I let my birds go to who they love so I don't restrict them what so ever.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I haven't read all the responses so I am unsure as to whether this has been addressed yet. On the subject of bonding, you would want to do all the fun stuff with the bird, and have your fiancé do the chores. Fun stuff include taking him out of the cage, giving him treats, playing, training, etc. you want him to associate only the good things with you so as not to overbond with your fiancé.

Congratulations on your parrot. I've always thought nandays and dusky conures are very beautiful.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
By the way, they are illegal to own in certain states. I live in one of those states now that's illegal to own a Nanday. But there's still some people owning them as I was contacted not long ago about taking one in but I declined cause conures just aren't for me.

Most Reactions