Naturally Trimming Nails

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Hello! I just got finished Trimming my parrot's nails and it seems to be a success! Yay me!
However her nails are still too long. I didn't trim much because I would hate if I hurt her.
I intend to get them to a better length (her toes can't rest in the ground properly, they curve up when she walks) but after that I would like to never have to trim them again.
My question is, are there techniques to keeping a bird's nails short naturally?
I know in the wild there are no vets to trim nails, so they do it naturally... But how?
And is there a method of doing his in captivity?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I also have a bird who has nails that like to grow. She goes to my avian vet every season for a trim.

I find the only thing that has helped a bit was using all natural branch perches, but its a minimal difference...some just always need those nail trims! I would suggest doing what I do and letting the vet be the "bad guy" - its not too expensive ($25 every 3 months for me) and its worth every penny for me to not have to stress about hitting a quick or cutting too short.

OP
jagrooten5

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Yeah I would be more inclined to take her to the vet every time (and have) but the only avian vet is an hour away. Easier to do it myself. I only take nips off the ends and she forgives me right after as long as I have the orange juice handy 😂
I'll definitely look into getting all natural perches. I'm just scared to death to give her wood that is poisonous because I don't know how to identify trees 😨

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I use a small pet nail trimmer, kind of like a dremmel but smaller, safer. Every couple of weeks I trim a nail or two.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I actually usually get them from stores like mysafebirdstore and a local place in Halifax NS called Healthybird!

As for the drive, that sucks... we drive about 20 mins now for the vet, since the vet that was 5 mins away has stopped seeing birds. Its inconvenient but I don't mind where its only a few times a year. Plus I like knowing that if anything seems off with her he will notice ;)

OP
jagrooten5

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
I have a pair of cuticle trimmers that are hella sharp that I used tonight and as long as I keep her eyes covered up she is fine with the trimming. I just hate doing it because it stresses her out a bit. Over time I am convinced she will get used to it though.
Our avian vet is really more of an exotics vet, not very thorough. Not really worth the drive. When I saw that the employees at a local pet store were trimming I was like okay, I can definitely do this!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I introduced a cement perch for Salty's sleeping perch - the kind made from cement and sand, and it has all sorts of little holes in it, like a churro. It took a few months but it brought his nail length down, almost too much. My vet advised me to put it in for a few days a month to keep them at the right length and sharpness.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I really recommend getting those nail-trimming perches... they can eliminate nail-trimming, which was always so stressful for me and the Rb. It took a few years, but I eventually established a pattern/rotation that keeps him trimmed. I haven't had to do his nails in 20-plus years. I keep a dowel as the main "highway" down the middle of the cage, but the special cement/trimmer/textured perches are all over.
A few brands... but there are many: Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Be sure to introduce them gradually: they're abrasive to their tender feet at first. I LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
My 30 year old RLA lets me do her nails with a nail clipper and I just take off the pointy tip.

I have only had her for two years and she is super bonded to me
but this is not something that I taught her.
I think her first owner a teenage girl at the time taught her to do this and now I am reaping the benefits of a well trained birdy.

once I trimmed more than the tip and her grip was not as strong.
I remember seeing an image once of how a parrots toes are not flat on a flat surface if the nail is the proper length or did I make this up?

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I must be lucky because my bird does his own claws. He has a cement perch but every now and then one claw will get too long. I wiggle that claw and he understands, and chews just the tip of the claw off until it is the right length again.

OP
jagrooten5

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Thanks everyone for your input!
I have a therapeutic perch but it isn't very effective and she doesn't stand on it yet. She is an incurable wall Walker and barely touched the perches I put in her cage for her to climb around on.
I have a hook-up with a guy who is a wood worker and I'm going to ask him to get me some bird safe sticks to make some natural perches with nonetheless.
You are lucky to have a bird who trims his own nails! I'm jealous!
Lily would never let me come near her with clippers unless she is restrained 😂

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Like I said, my vet told me the cement perch was doing too good a job, and Saltys claws were too short. So now I rotate them. Plus he sleeps on his cement perch so it works rather quickly. But I think I could get Salty to hold his foot out for a trim, if he needed one - he already holds it out to shake hands.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
Yeah, my bird trims his own beak too. If the tip gets a little long, he chews on the cement perch and files it down.

The flip side is though, he chews his tail feathers off =/. He's perfectly healthy, and has chewed his tail since he was a baby. He does it when it gets too long (alexandrine) and it gets in the way of things. I've had to just make peace i'm never gonna have an alex with a long tail.

Most Reactions

Latest posts