Need guidance please

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
Theoo - Where are you located? I just happened to come across an ad on Kijiji for a bird cage identical to the one you first posted, except it's 5' by 5' for only $500!!! :O

Please PM me and I'll give you the link if you're interested!!!

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
Another tip for less mess is attach plastic sheeting (like those table covers you can get) to the side of the cage against the walls to stop the walls from getting any flicked fruit or mash on them. I know a lot of people with Lories do that, due to the lories messy poops. :)

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
UV lighting is kind of like "the Clip or not clip" question. I know a lot of people that use them but I also know a lot that are totally against them.

Apparently for them to give off the right UV light that will make a difference to the bird they need to be really close to the bird, which IMO is to close for safety. (I can't remember the exact distance and can't find the thread I read it on..Typical... But I do know the bird would be able to reach it)

20 minutes in a sunny window will do the same thing (if you have tinted windows then that would be different) If you move the whole cage you could open the window with no risk of bird flying out and no filter problem. They do not need 6-8 hours of direct sun. Like someone said above, In the wild they would not have that length of direct sun, they would be in trees and in the shade etc.

I guess you can tell I am not really for them. But I am sure someone else on here will pitch in with a good argument for them. ;)

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
I was told the full spectum light if you put it in an overhead fixture would be to far to do any good.. Some one on the boards here told me if I remember correct no more than 3 feet. at the bird store that specializes in selling birds only here, they told me no more than 3 feet.. I have a clip on I clip it to the top of her cage when her cage door is closed so she cant get access to it by crawling ontop of her play area...I also purchased these plastic things that stick to ur wall, it has a little clasp for the cord to fit in, so the cord is kept close to the wall and not dangling down the back of the cage..Another idea i recieved from a poster here...I to cannot have my birdie outside as its way to hot TN has been in the 100s with heat indexes up to 118 last week..

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I'm wondering how our parrots survived, before full spectrum lightning was invented?

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
That's not mess that creative decorating. Ok it mess but a little hand vac takes care of it. All the years I have had bird cages around I have tried everything. I remember my gran had plastic skirt things on all her cages never worked the bird just learn to spit the seed over top. One thing I have noticed since I been give all my birds pellets mixed with their seed the mess is not so bad. They don't seem to make so much mess with them. It now flying poop I have trouble with lol. Sorry about that but no other way to say it. I find it places it shouldn't be. And if you miss some it dry hard and it rough to remove.
As for lights I haven't ever used any extra lighting. But also no direct window light during the hot summers here in Louisiana. They are sat of to one side so they can still get light but not that heat plus they still gat to scream at the birds out side. I seem to have more trouble keep them out of the way of the A/C vents. What might feel good to use and freeze those poor guys and gals.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I use no UV lights. Ruby's cage is by a large window with blinds. She gets alot of outside play time with my boys and myself. She rides on bicycle handlebars, works with me in the garden ( well I pick veggies, she destroys them on the vine )and such. She is caged outside under a big maple tree every other day after her shower for an hour or so. some days she refuses to leave the outdoor cage to come back inside.She also goes on evening excersize walks with the family. I dont feel she needs fake sun, she gets enough of the real thing.

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
I have tiles in the family room where Puffin's cage is but in the tv lounge where we sit in the evenings Puffins favourite place is on my ironing board. He runs up and down eating treats and then perches in the iron holder and does what we call " birdie acrobatics" and as there is carpet in that area we put one of the office mats down and it works a treat.

Most Reactions

Latest posts