Need name ideas!

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
What I did to name Chia was say a few names that I really liked to her in a loud squeaky voice, the one that she chirped back to, I kept :)

missylynn

Feb 23, 2011
Parrots
2 GCCs - Jinx & Bonsai
I wouldn't be able to stand not knowing! I had my sun conure dna'd asap.. lol! One of the names I had thought of using if he had been a girl was Chloe. I think that is a dang cute name for a brightly colored girl bird. You have my permission to use it if you are blessed with a girl, though. =) Another cute name I thought about is Lola... I may still use that one if I get a girl when I purchase a CAG in a couple years.

As for the pellets, the size should be fine. As a training reward, I've given my conure tiny, tiny pieces of broken up peanuts that are about the size of budgie pellets and he does just fine with them. In fact, if I give him larger pieces he breaks them to that size himself. Lol! But be sure to check the expiration date since you've had them awhile. Who knows how long they were on the shelf before you bought them.

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Santa Barbara county, California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure: Tori
I wouldn't be able to stand not knowing! I had my sun conure dna'd asap.. lol! One of the names I had thought of using if he had been a girl was Chloe. I think that is a dang cute name for a brightly colored girl bird. You have my permission to use it if you are blessed with a girl, though. =) Another cute name I thought about is Lola... I may still use that one if I get a girl when I purchase a CAG in a couple years.

As for the pellets, the size should be fine. As a training reward, I've given my conure tiny, tiny pieces of broken up peanuts that are about the size of budgie pellets and he does just fine with them. In fact, if I give him larger pieces he breaks them to that size himself. Lol! But be sure to check the expiration date since you've had them awhile. Who knows how long they were on the shelf before you bought them.
I had my Tori bird DNAed right away too. I was going to name him "Tori" either way, but it was awkward he/she all the time. I was glad when I found out he is a boy though, because we had referred to him as "he" the most.

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
What I did to name Chia was say a few names that I really liked to her in a loud squeaky voice, the one that she chirped back to, I kept :)

Good idea!! I'll try that if I can't come to a decision :D

I thought of Chloe too! I like names that end in "ee" because they're easier to call :p. It's just that my friend's golden retriever's name is Chloe :rolleyes:. But I'm sure he won't mind. I could say I named my bird after her lol!

I'll check the pellets tomorrow. It's almost 1 am here and I don't know why I'm still up!

I had my Tori bird DNAed right away too. I was going to name him "Tori" either way, but it was awkward he/she all the time. I was glad when I found out he is a boy though, because we had referred to him as "he" the most.

Lol Tori was another name I'd thought of! One of my neighbors back in California was named Tori, and I always thought that was the coolest name. But I don't want there to be two Toris here so I'll choose something else :p. I was the same - I don't think I would be able to stand not knowing either. But someone on the other forum taught me how to tell just by feeling their vent. I'll have to ask to clarify again before I get her, but basically females just have a larger vent. I'll just find out that way :).

burley

Apr 17, 2010
Oriential NC
Parrots
"VAL" greenwing macaw
we got our greenwing on valentines day, she became val instantly.How many people get a big red bird on valentines day instead of flowers or choclate?

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
we got our greenwing on valentines day, she became val instantly.How many people get a big red bird on valentines day instead of flowers or choclate?

Lol not many, but I know I would much prefer one over flowers or chocolate :D! Val is a cute name!! Fits perfectly as a memory of the day she was brought into your family :).

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots

Lol Tori was another name I'd thought of! One of my neighbors back in California was named Tori, and I always thought that was the coolest name. But I don't want there to be two Toris here so I'll choose something else :p. I was the same - I don't think I would be able to stand not knowing either. But someone on the other forum taught me how to tell just by feeling their vent. I'll have to ask to clarify again before I get her, but basically females just have a larger vent. I'll just find out that way :).

Its a great name, I don't mind if you use it!

My mom has female guinea pigs and was looking at getting another, but she didn't want to get a male for obvious reasons (well, obvious if you've seen my living room.) They have a similar way of finding out if they are male or female.

If you're not super interested in finding out the gender of the bird you're getting, maybe you should go for a gender neutral name. ^_^

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
you have to name him/her with it's personality Bebe i like :D or something exotic the country she comes from

I was thinking about the country thing, they're from Brazil right? I couldn't think of anything that had to do with Brazil :rolleyes:. It turns out I'm getting her on Wednesday, and I was planning to get her yesterday :(. Oh well, no so far away I guess. It just gives me more time to make toys! :D

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots
you have to name him/her with it's personality Bebe i like :D or something exotic the country she comes from

I was thinking about the country thing, they're from Brazil right? I couldn't think of anything that had to do with Brazil :rolleyes:. It turns out I'm getting her on Wednesday, and I was planning to get her yesterday :(. Oh well, no so far away I guess. It just gives me more time to make toys! :D
Toys are definitely a good thing to have! Way to count the extra time as a blessing! You can go over your check list of things that you will need before she arrives. :rolleyes:

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011

Toys are definitely a good thing to have! Way to count the extra time as a blessing! You can go over your check list of things that you will need before she arrives. :rolleyes:

Yep! I made a few toys yesterday, made two ropes to walk on and play on, etc., made a little swing, and I was going to make her a large atom from that website I found in the DIY section, but since Home Depot didn't have the reticulated pipe thing (because it's seasonal), my mom bought some vinyl tube, and I googled vinyl to see if it was safe and it turns out it's very toxic!! So I guess I'll have to wait till gardening season comes :rolleyes:.

ooh post pics of her when she arrives! :)

I definitely will!! I always post lots of pictures when I have photoshoot days :D! Expect 30-50 lol!

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots

Yep! I made a few toys yesterday, made two ropes to walk on and play on, etc., made a little swing, and I was going to make her a large atom from that website I found in the DIY section, but since Home Depot didn't have the reticulated pipe thing (because it's seasonal), my mom bought some vinyl tube, and I googled vinyl to see if it was safe and it turns out it's very toxic!! So I guess I'll have to wait till gardening season comes :rolleyes:.

Good thing you checked! Sounds like your little baby will have plenty of toys to play with!

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011

Good thing you checked! Sounds like your little baby will have plenty of toys to play with!

Yep! I'm trying to make as many as I can :D. Is it important if the toys are colorful? I don't have a lot of colorful things :(.

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots

Yep! I'm trying to make as many as I can :D. Is it important if the toys are colorful? I don't have a lot of colorful things :(.
It depends on what your bird likes. My Tori doesn't care so much about colorful things as he does about shiny things, but its good to have a variety. Once you get your bird, pay attention to which toys she plays with most; Colorful, shiny, stringy, chewy, puzzles, preening toys, etc... then make more of those.

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011

It depends on what your bird likes. My Tori doesn't care so much about colorful things as he does about shiny things, but its good to have a variety. Once you get your bird, pay attention to which toys she plays with most; Colorful, shiny, stringy, chewy, puzzles, preening toys, etc... then make more of those.

Oh yeah!! My cockatiel loves anything shiny :D. Rhinestones on my clothes, my jewelry, etc. I'll buy something colorful for her once I get enough money :p. I have $10 left before the end of April, but I was hoping to get a natural perch with that rather than a toy, since I know dowels aren't great for their feet.

Kokihi

Aug 11, 2010
Parrots

Oh yeah!! My cockatiel loves anything shiny :D. Rhinestones on my clothes, my jewelry, etc. I'll buy something colorful for her once I get enough money :p. I have $10 left before the end of April, but I was hoping to get a natural perch with that rather than a toy, since I know dowels aren't great for their feet.

You could always make a perch out of a stick (provided it is a type of wood that is ok for your bird) I know Tori loves to sit on sticks that I find out in my yard.

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011

You could always make a perch out of a stick (provided it is a type of wood that is ok for your bird) I know Tori loves to sit on sticks that I find out in my yard.

I would do that, but I dont know what kind of trees I have in my backyard, and I like perches that have the little screw in them and the "wing nut." I actually never used that word before in my life, I don't even know if it's the actual name, but it just popped up in my head lol! And it sounds right.. I mean it's a nut with wings.. :rolleyes:. I'm so weird sometimes :p.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Sorry I missed all this Boo, I have been uber busy! I will be even busier from next week so I may miss your new arrival!

Sounds like you're setting up REALLY well.

Can't wait to see pictures!

OP
Boo

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
Sorry I missed all this Boo, I have been uber busy! I will be even busier from next week so I may miss your new arrival!

Sounds like you're setting up REALLY well.

Can't wait to see pictures!

Thanks!! I was wondering where you went, and missing you :p. I don't know when the breeder is coming back from out-of-state, but I do hope I can get my baby very soon. I'm going to give her a call at 9, because I don't want to wake her up if she's sleeping :eek:. I hope you can come back to the forum soon. Good luck with whatever it is you're busy with :)!

Btw, I got Parrots For Dummies from the library because I want to save up my money for more toys :D.

Most Reactions