Need New Food for Treble-this is so overwhelming!

KawaiiTori

Aug 3, 2019
Media
Poulsbo, Washington, USA
Parrots
Tori - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Another thing to consider is having your bird forage for their food. My Tori gets her chop in a bowl twice daily and then has her pellets available to her in a variety of foraging toys all day. She spends a large portion of her day foraging for pellets which is good for her both mentally and physically!

Donald2Chatara

Banned
Banned
Nov 11, 2018
florida
Thanks for all the responses, reading and re-reading them :)

So today I went out and got the 5lb green tub of Lafeber's pellets. Then I also picked up ZuPreem's Sensible Seed mix-a 2lb bag. I bought a food container[/URL] to combine them and it's now mixed and sealed. We'll try this combo for now, still incorporating his current food in it during the transition. I'll also write down what I mixed and bring it into the vet and see what she thinks/would suggest adjusting.

He did try fresh mango and LOVED it! But, even on sale it's $1 each and I don't think they last once they've been cut, so I found some dehydrated mango on sale for $4, for an 8oz bag (only ingredient is organic mango). This will be a reward/treat, maybe once a day? He's also been getting 1-2 peanuts a day as a reward for training, (stepping without beaking). When the bag is finished I won't be buying more, since peanuts seem to be on the crap list, lol.

And then on a whim I picked up some fresh broccoli (on sale for $1 a crown, can't beat that). It was so funny watching him with it-I put a piece it on his playgym and he freaked, LOL. He ran to the other side and head bopped at it for a bit. Then he inched forward, then scurried back, a few times. Finally he figured out that he could get on a higher rope and approach it from above...then he felt comfortable enough to do a quick taste. He really likes it and is now carrying it around the playgym making little noises LOL. I am seriously in love with this bird :green1:

Crisp veggies and some new natural product day by day is over the rundown. Sprouts, a few grains, some seed and pellets are additionally incredible things. The key is to offer him a wide assortment of nourishments. I really claim a stop dried natural avian nourishment organization, and plan to turn into a merchant here one month from now!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
UPDATE:

We had our first vet check-up this afternoon and we spent quite a bit of time talking about diet. The vet said that Treble's diet should be 75% pellets and then veg/fruit, with seeds/nuts only as special treats/training tools, so not mixed in with the pellets like we've been doing. She also said to focus on vitamin A rich veggies like dark leafy greens and then things like sweet potatoes, squashes etc.

She also recommended Harrisons for the pellets. I bought a 1lb bag to try from their office and the vet's price is the same as Harrison's online prices. It's around $2 more per pound than what I paid for the Lefeber (when comparing the 5lb options), because starting out we're going to use the high potency version since Treble is still young. Then in a few months he'll switch to their adult blend and then the price is comparable with the Lefebers. The vet's office is also closer than the pet store I got the Lefebers at so that a nice plus! Amazons are only supposed to eat 1.5lbs-3tbsp of the Harrisons pellets a day, so it goes a long way!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
UPDATE:

We had our first vet check-up this afternoon and we spent quite a bit of time talking about diet. The vet said that Treble's diet should be 75% pellets and then veg/fruit, with seeds/nuts only as special treats/training tools, so not mixed in with the pellets like we've been doing. She also said to focus on vitamin A rich veggies like dark leafy greens and then things like sweet potatoes, squashes etc.

She also recommended Harrisons for the pellets. I bought a 1lb bag to try from their office and the vet's price is the same as Harrison's online prices. It's around $2 more per pound than what I paid for the Lefeber (when comparing the 5lb options), because starting out we're going to use the high potency version since Treble is still young. Then in a few months he'll switch to their adult blend and then the price is comparable with the Lefebers. The vet's office is also closer than the pet store I got the Lefebers at so that a nice plus! Amazons are only supposed to eat 1.5lbs-3tbsp of the Harrisons pellets a day, so it goes a long way!

Good luck with efficient feeding of Harrison's! Mine drop and/or fragment as much as they eat. If you have difficulty with the transition, try Harrison's protocol on their website. I followed precisely and all 8 of mine successfully adapted.

OP
T

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
UPDATE:

Good luck with efficient feeding of Harrison's! Mine drop and/or fragment as much as they eat. If you have difficulty with the transition, try Harrison's protocol on their website. I followed precisely and all 8 of mine successfully adapted.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out their site!

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Remember. VARIETY !!! It is hard to quantify all the things of a variety and then see that its fed. Its easier to take what furnishes a supplement and give some of one of those things on different days of the week. We don't like the same meal every meal time and neither will your pet. Carrots can be different sizes, sweet potatoes raw, steamed or baked. It will be a grand experiment to find what all (and how) your bird likes things. jh

greytness

Sep 11, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
3 CAGs, BHC, 2 duskie conures, Jardine's, Meyers, pineapple GCC, eclectus, miligold macaw, scarlet macaw, & Panama Amazon
Fresh is best. Birds don't eat pellets in the wild. It's a human creation to bring ease of feeding for bird owners. I believe pellets should should be made available, but not the predominant food source.
Harrisons is a great pellet, but out of my 13 fids, only 3 will regularly eat them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts