Need of some advice-New Conure

Lili_2099

Nov 2, 2023
Parrots
One pineapple conure (6 months old) and one black capped conure (1 year and 3 months old)
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a 6-month-old conure 3 days ago from PetSmart and she was happy and playful at the store. Lately, she has been sleeping a lot in the day either on my neck or snuggled in my blanket. She eats very well and has no trouble playing with her toys or her other friend but the weather has been colder where I live. Should I take her to the vet or is it just the weather?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
3 days is not nearly long enough to calibrate yourself to what is "normal" for your particular bird. Yes, you should go to the vet, but not because I think you need to worry about this behavior... your new bird is adjusting to a very different life, and you're adjusting to him, I don't think there's any cause for worry.

You should always bring new birds to the vet though. There's a number of avian diseases that birds can have, when I get new birds I usually test them for these diseases (there's 3 big ones, not that I ever remember what they're called) and I run blood work. Depending on where I got the bird, I might also do a gram stain or a number of other tests, I have a good relationship with my exotic vet and I more or less trust them to tell me what tests they think are genuinely necessary.

OP
L

Lili_2099

Nov 2, 2023
Parrots
One pineapple conure (6 months old) and one black capped conure (1 year and 3 months old)
3 days is not nearly long enough to calibrate yourself to what is "normal" for your particular bird. Yes, you should go to the vet, but not because I think you need to worry about this behavior... your new bird is adjusting to a very different life, and you're adjusting to him, I don't think there's any cause for worry.

You should always bring new birds to the vet though. There's a number of avian diseases that birds can have, when I get new birds I usually test them for these diseases (there's 3 big ones, not that I ever remember what they're called) and I run blood work. Depending on where I got the bird, I might also do a gram stain or a number of other tests, I have a good relationship with my exotic vet and I more or less trust them to tell me what tests they think are genuinely necessary
Thank you! I have already made an appointment for my bird just to make sure everything is okay with her and also since she's new so I want to do a health check up on her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts