Need some advice please

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
Hello everyone (who may or may not remember me)

So I was having dinner with the tiels on the loose. I've done this before with Oz and we had no problem but that was the first time I've done it with Kaila there too. Now she isn't like Oz at all (who's afraid of any new food) and will eat anything she can get her little beak on. I was having macaroni with tomato sauce (very, very little sauce. I would almost consider it white at that point...)

So one minute, she's sitting on top of the computer, and the next, she's jumped and perched on the edge my bowl. I try to pick her up to put her elsewhere... And she jumps in the bowl of (thankfully lukewarm) macaroni... She didn't make a sound, I picked her up and put her back on the computer but I noticed part of her toe seemed red/orange. I assumed it was sauce.

I gave them a misting after that and noticed that the toes (on only one foot thought she had both in the bowl) were still reddish. It's rather easy to see since her feet are pretty dry these days and there's no white crackles where it's reddish.

So. My question: persistent macaroni stain, or possible burn? She doesn't seem to be in any pain and looked just fine after it happened, but I don't wanna take chances so...

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
If she doesn't seem to be in any pain I wouldn't worry as tomatoes are notorious for staining, but keep a close eye on it to see if she is acting differently, or if it begins to look different in a way that suggests it might actually be a burn.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
If it was lukewarm like you said, my vote's for tomato/food stain.....if you could eat it, your tongue is more sensitive than her foot/toes.....

Good luck.....

OP
Kiryon

Kiryon

May 19, 2013
Media
Canada
Parrots
Cockatiels - Oz & Kaila
If it was lukewarm like you said, my vote's for tomato/food stain.....if you could eat it, your tongue is more sensitive than her foot/toes.....

Good luck.....

That's great, thank you. I was leaning towards food stain too, but I didn't know if cockatiel feet were particularly fragile or not so I figured better safe than sorry.

Most Reactions