Need some help Eclectus lunges and bites

surfdancer

Sep 12, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Eclectus Named Stewie
I had several people who have given me advise on what to do to get my eclectus to not be scared and aggressive towards me and the family.I have tried these options and it started to work he let you pet his chest he would come off his cage door down on to the couch to get what i was eating this lasted a week.So I started over and offered a little piece of banana while he sat on his door.Needless to say he lunges at you and bites.So I ignore the behavior and walk away and let him be. I have tried everything possible and he just won't stop.My husband and I was wondering if he would be better off as a breeder bird instead of a pet.I'm not interested in breeding and hate to have to sell him but I need some help.This is breaking my heart

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Sorry to hear this is happening. I can completely understand how frustrating it can be when things aren't working out. How old is Stewie? (awesome name btw ;)). Is this something he has always done, or something he has developed? My Ekkie will tolerate me touching him anywhere, but being an Ekkie, he doesn't 'enjoy' it in the way that say a cockatoo would. Ekkies are generally not cuddly birds, still, lunging and bitting is definitely not what you want.

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
How Old is Stewie?
My Abby is 5 months old. She did the lunging and nipping when I would give her a treat. She did this for a while. I just kept working with her.
I figured that it was all new to her, she did not know what to do. and she was using her beak to test it out. She still kind of lunge when I give her a treat at first, but when she "tastes" it by lunging she then will take it or take a bite of it.
I got Abby some Millet and worked with her using it.
That way you can hold it far enough away so he will not get your fingers but still be able to taste the millet and then he will figure out that it is something to eat and it won't hurt him.
Remember it is all new to Stewie... just have some patience and go slow.
Stewie will come around

OP
S

surfdancer

Sep 12, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Eclectus Named Stewie
He is 3yrs old and yes he has been like this since I got him but it has grown worse.The only place he would let you touch him was his chest and no where else.He doesn't know how to step up which makes it hard cause I can't give him a shower and I can't spray him with water he attacks the bottle and knocks it out of my hand.We take him outside and spray him in his cage with the hose which he is totally fine with he spreads his wings but can't do that much longer the weather is changing.When he gets nasty I hate doing it but I close his door and walk away and try again later but nothin seems to work and it is upsetting.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Just by the small amount of info here it sounds like Stewie may be a bit territorial of his cage, you say he lunges to bite when on the cage or door, but he seemed to do better when on the couch, an experiment worth trying would be to see if you could perch train him, (to step up onto a wooden perch instead of your hand) and then work with him away from his cage, a play stand/gym would be ideal, but even using the back of a chair as a temporary measure would work, use the wooden perch at first, then start trying to use your hand, work on the "step up" command and be sure to reward and praise him along the way, might be worth a try.......good luck :)

OP
S

surfdancer

Sep 12, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Eclectus Named Stewie
I want to thank everyone for there help and suggestions and will give it all a try.

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
Since you have only had a month.. then I would say it is going to take more time.
I have had Abby for 2 months and she is just now getting somewhat comfortable with being touched.
Eckies are not snugglers. They will tolerate touching there chest and neck.
Just a gentle rub. They do not like to be scratched. Also being a male it could stimulate his hormones.

I agree with Bobby. Try using a stick to get Stewie to step up. Then I would take him into another room away from his cage. I took Abby into the bedroom. Closed the door and blinds with low light. No TV or music. Abby and I just sat on the bed for about 30 minutes. I did this everyday for a week and she was very comfortable. I then would sit next to Abby in her cage and just talk to her.

Do you have another pets? Children? When you are working with Stewie make sure it is one on one. without any type of distractions.
It will take time and love. Stewie will come around.

Mike

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
I know it's alot easier said than done when all that beak wants to do is remove your flesh but from what I hear in your words his behaviour had gotten worse in the time that you have owned him and that you just shut him away when he acts like this ?

Yes many birds do get cage aggressive and perch training is a great idea to help solve this issue

What your message is telling this bird at the moment is " hey if I act like this I get left alone , mission accomplished "
and so he does it again the next time " hmm same result , I like this "
and again the next time " bite , leave alone , ok now I've got it "

By letting him go back to his cage your rewarding his biting actions and so he will keep doing them more and more

You need to find a safe way for you ( perch training is great ) where you can override this negative reaction
you need to teach the bird that his behaviour is not going to change anything

You have asked for him to come out of his cage and that Is what will be happening

Once he sees his actions get him no results he will stop and start to enjoy the rewards of his positive actions

2Birds3Kids

Sep 14, 2010
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Male Vos Eclectus
Female Vos Eclectus
Male Cockatiel Pied Cinnamon
Female Cockatiel
Bobby and Phoenix Rising are right. Also, make sure Stewie is getting 10-12 hours of quiet, uninterrupted sleep each night.

Once you get him up on a stick you can roll him over onto your arm. Keep your elbow bent and hand at the same height as your shoulder so he doesn't run up your arm to your shoulder. (I don't like biting birds on my shoulder).

Do this away from the cage in a different, preferably unfamiliar room. Also take him on your arm for a walk. Hold him close and gently scratch him as you walk. Alot of birds will let you do things like this outside that they will not let you do in their home/more familiar environment.

After bathing him, wrap him in a towel. You can protect yourself from his beak with the bulk of the towel and pet him over the towel - that way he will see that your hands mean no harm.

Most Reactions