Need some help redesigning my play stand

Screech

Nov 20, 2013
Mojave Desert
Parrots
The Budgies: Chirpy, Squawky, Feisty, Peeps; The Giant: Beaker The Greenwing
I have a movable platform that is 36" wide by 54" long, built very well. Out of branches and molded PVC, I have constructed an over glorified perch stand on the platform, but it really isn't a play gym. I would like to restart with something a little more substantial and more suited for my bird (greenwing), so I have some questions:

How do you come up with a 'floor plan'? I have a 36" wide by 54" long by 80" tall space to work with, plus a little more height so long as it is impossible to climb and perch upon.

What are the best screws or bolts to use? I've been using stainless steel decking screws of various lengths, but they tend to break or cause the wood to split (even after drilling the holes).

This one might seem kind of dumb, but is there something else besides news print to line the bottom of a play gym stand? I don't mind using up news print, it's just inconvenient to work around all the 'trunks' in my trees on the stand.

I want to build an awesome play gym for my Beaker, but I'm having a hard time due to my limited knowledge - So your help is greatly appreciated by both myself and Beaker! :D

If anyone is interested, I will share pictures of the current stand.

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
I cant help with the construction but wood shavings/ sawdust might be good for the bottom and is easy to clean up.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
No suggestions on the construction, but if you permanently integrate linoleum or even plexiglass on the bottom, you can use a paint scraper to scrape up (dried) poop and sweep and/or vacuum up any other debris with no need for any kind of liner or bedding. It can also be wiped cleaned with a diluted white vinegar and water solution. Thats how I personally deal with Kiwi's play tree (which has a plastic bottom, and it is *so* easy to keep clean).

OP
S

Screech

Nov 20, 2013
Mojave Desert
Parrots
I like the idea of using linoleum for the stand bottom. I don't think I would have thought of it myself and it's cheap compared to other options I've considered.

After doing some looking around here on the forums for some inspiration, I came up with this. Not exactly a precise drawing, but a representation of how things will be built. The dimensions are 54 long by 36 inches wide.

Here is the top view
tA3pg51.png

And here is a false perspective view:
cjsMq7E.png

The four pointed stars indicate where new structural vertical posts will be put in place, two will be taller for hanging toys as indicated. There will be an eye roughly 72" high on each post to suspend the top of the gym assembly. I'm still brainstorming ideas on how to hold the levels together, but the most interesting option is to use four vertical beams held on with carriage bolts and wing nuts for quick disassembly (and quick cleaning).

For fasteners I have found a source for 3/8" stainless steel lag bolts at $1/screw, fortunately I only need 33. Unfortunately it might take a week for me to get those screws...

OP
S

Screech

Nov 20, 2013
Mojave Desert
Parrots
getwozzy, I like the way you used the flange mount for the pvc pipes.

Do you use any kind of special sand? I have plenty of desert sand around me :D but that is the worst kind of sand to bring inside the house :X

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
getwozzy, I like the way you used the flange mount for the pvc pipes.

Do you use any kind of special sand? I have plenty of desert sand around me :D but that is the worst kind of sand to bring inside the house :X

Those flange mounts are pretty cool- and we used some "quick fit" PVC attachments that screw into them.

I used "playground" sand from Home Depot -comes in a plastic 50lb bag, and it takes 1 bag to fill that pan.

I had to stop using it though because it was ridiculous trying to keep my toddler out of the "sandbox" LOL otherwise it worked great!

Most Reactions

Latest posts