Need some opinions from those who like to decorate!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It's that time of year again!- when I decide a bunch of our furniture simply does not look good anymore, and I drag it all outside and refinish it (and my husband sits there shaking his head and rolling his eyes lol). Somehow, in our last apartment, everything being really bright colors "worked", but here it just looks stupid and like teenagers live here. I am trying to tone down a couple things and create a more uniform look. My husband could *care less* about how I decorate, just as long as it's not pink-theme or something. I haven't really met anyone since we moved to ask, sooooo..... I thought I would ask everyone (who wants to comment) opinions.

First up is the 'new' deck set (well, new to us at least). I found it at a garage sale for $15 and couldn't NOT get it at that price:09: Anyways, I am repainting it in "oil rubbed bronze" (basically a metallic black) but I also want to do custom deep-seating cushions that actually fit it (unlike the seriously mismatched one on it). Looking at 2 potential colors for the cushions- pure white or mint green. Both are waterproof, outdoor fabric, and neither should stain, but I'm wanting a relaxing type look going on. I am naturally drawn to the mint, BUT I know white is the color they use at spas/resorts and stuff and I am trying to tone my love for ridiculous colors down a bit.
DSC_3840_zps10567d55.jpg

The mint fabric-http://www.ebay.com/itm/271473594063?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Then there is my makeshift kitchen situation:rolleyes:. Too many different color woods and that big green mirror! I like the way the little stand my pots and burners are on looks, so I want to leave that alone. I want to paint the stand with the granite top instead. I am thinking of painting the mirror and granite-top stand the same kind of warm-white as the rooster decoration. However, since the granite is such a light color, I don't know if a warm white would look gross, and if it may be better to paint all 3 (stand, mirror and rooster) a darker brown color. Opinions?
DSC_3835_zpsc7a3c717.jpg

DSC_3837_zps38ca6bdf.jpg

DSC_3836_zps7c317687.jpg

Moving on, there is the desk and my sewing stand (which is also orange inside but I didn't take a photo). I don't want to repaint the outside, just the orange part. Kind of torn between a dark brown or very light turquoise or any other color besides orange or white really. And whatever color I use, I have several smaller pieces of furniture of all random colors I will be repainting in the same color so everything matches better. Any ideas on a good color? (please excuse the mess)
DSC_3834_zps0607b359.jpg

Finally, this little gem here obviously felt a bit left out that I was taking "before" pictures of stuff to refinish, and decided he too needed to be "refinished":54: See, he even stuck a little feather up on his back to show just how in need of attention he was:. I'm thinking of repainting the green part pink and the yellow part purple. What do you all think......:p
DSC_3844_zps20e06e2c.jpg

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
What beautiful scenery you have in Oregon! I love that. :)

I have to vote for mint green on the patio set. I LOVE mint green. $15 what a steal!

I'd definitely do the brown on the kitchen stand, mirror, and rooster. I really like the "brown wood" look.

Desk I'd say the light turquoise you suggested might be nice. Or of course mint green. Then again, I honestly think I would do the dark brown. What mess?! Everything looks neat and clean :)

Oh, and the birdy... I think he looks perfect left 'as is'. :D

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Here are some of the kitchens I *personally* like. I'm kind of a fan of the vintage farm kitchens (like my grandmas). However, as you can see, I don't even have an actual stove at the moment, so I can *dream* about kitchens like these:32: and attempt to paint up my stuff to be "similarish". The only reason I falter on the warm white is the granite is a light color, so just not sure how that would look:confused:

fh15.jpg

kitchen9.jpg

eclectic-kitchen.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Wow, I really enjoyed your tour!
I agree with Julie about everything she suggested!
And Kiwi could not be more perfect just the way he is:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Ooh those are really nice. Professionally decorated rooms with some good money spent always look AMAZING!!

I think that the granite stand would look just fine with the warm white, but it is definitely a different look from brown. Depends on what "look" you're going for.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Those kitchens make me drool. I can spend hours on Pinterest just pinning kitchens, and it always makes me sad to go back into my own kitchen.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I almost always prefer light and bright to darker colors. I am just trying to have a little more "grown up" look going on, as we are getting a little older. It is quite.... "unnatural" for me though not to have everything painted in 15 neon colors lol:52: But everything is really looking very mismatched and like it just doesn't go together. Here are some of the other things I will be repainting the same color as the desk and sewing stand:

DSC_3838_zpscddf3b08.jpg

(The chair and lamp)
DSC_3839_zpse10629d1.jpg

And this table

As you can see, orange desk, green chair, bright blue table..... everything just looks sloppy and ridiculous. Can't afford new furnishings, so I am trying to think of ways to get all the stuff we already have to look like it matches:52:.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Those kitchens make me drool. I can spend hours on Pinterest just pinning kitchens, and it always makes me sad to go back into my own kitchen.

I know! You see the kitchens of people with limitless budgets, and it make (me at least) want to cry:17:

The worst part, is a lot of those *spectacular* kitchens barely get used:mad:, while those of us who cook a lot get to deal with much less function and beauty..... well, in my case, bare bones basics with a toaster oven and some portable burners and thats about it lol.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I almost always prefer light and bright to darker colors.

I think MOST people do. I'm the opposite there. Getting ready to paint walls, and I've picked out a purplish brown which is considered dark for wall paint. I'm thinking of two colors for the room, that color along with a slightly lighter mouse brown/gray I'm pretty sure I'll be going with, but not 100%. The darker shade I'm doing for sure. I'm going to Home Depot to look one more time to settle on the lighter shade and then buy the paint. I'll post pics after it's done within the next couple or few weeks.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I almost always prefer light and bright to darker colors.

I think MOST people do. I'm the opposite there. Getting ready to paint walls, and I've picked out a purplish brown which is considered dark for wall paint. I'm thinking of two colors for the room, that color along with a slightly lighter mouse brown/gray I'm pretty sure I'll be going with, but not 100%. The darker shade I'm doing for sure. I'm going to Home Depot to look one more time to settle on the lighter shade and then buy the paint. I'll post pics after it's done within the next couple or few weeks.

I can't wait too see! I know the dark colors can look very nice when done right. I think a lighter shade will probably accent them well.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Made up a layout sketch for the living room with (approximations) of furniture layout. Obviously Trimble doesn't have exact of all furniture, and I don't know how to create it (except very basic like the perch), so not 100%, but close enough to have a good idea how everything will look, especially with the new colors! Gotta love technology- can change the paint and the layout before even lifting a finger:D

Newapartment-3_zpsd05eb5fc.jpg

Newapartment-2_zps43f2a04c.jpg

Newapartment_zps5ff0ca77.jpg

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Well.... I guess I'm kinda like your husband, I think everything looks GOOD already......

Except for one thing that needs a "slightly" more Colorful look (Pictured Below)

gw-joe-albums-assorted-pictures-used-posts-picture11968-refinished-lucy.jpg

Hope This HELPS !! :p

Joe

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
That is awesome GW Joe!:D If I could give 10 thumbs up, I would. I think the newly discovered "neon grape" amazon will look great with the new decor, and made the necessary changes below;)
kiwipurp_zps30dae5c6.jpg

BTW, do you take commissions to dye parrots (kind of like they dye poodles) lol..... [Ya, that would be the day, the person who makes the fateful decision to try and dye Kiwi would suffer a few amputations:eek:]

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Looks GREAT. Neon Grape Amazon parrot included...

I like that program you have. Pretty cool for giving a preview for decorating and trying out new colors.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
That is awesome GW Joe!:D If I could give 10 thumbs up, I would. I think the newly discovered "neon grape" amazon will look great with the new decor, and made the necessary changes below;)

BTW, do you take commissions to dye parrots (kind of like they dye poodles) lol..... [Ya, that would be the day, the person who makes the fateful decision to try and dye Kiwi would suffer a few amputations:eek:]

Thanks Kiwibird !

I guess if you did dye one, the moults would become VERY interesting !!

Love the neon grape amazon you added to your floor plan :D

But on a serious note, did you ever see THIS:

A Good Read: Blue Mutation Yellow-Naped Amazon | Voren's Aviaries Inc

Joe

blue_mutation_yellow_naped_amazon_babies.jpg

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I thought miss mass was the new style these days. But then again, I'm an old guy with little to no sence of style. But I applaud all of you who posted pictures of your places. They look clean to nearly spotless. I hate when people post pictures of something and don't take the time to clean up the area a bit. Thank you.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Joe- That was indeed an interesting read. I have seen photos of the blue and yellow mutation amazons, but never understood the exact mechanics behind their colorations. I also found the part about the wild-caught noises interesting. My parents have a wild caught female DYH, and she makes the most beautiful noises. It's almost like she's singing when she vocalizes. Her "mate" of 40 years was captive-bred and does not make the same noises, nor does Kiwi or any other captive-bred zon I've heard. Pinkybird posted a video once of her wild-caught zon http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/42352-what-your-zon-sounds-like.html, and he made very similar noises to Lucy. It's very different than the "shrilly" noises the captive bred birds make, and thats a shame:(

Mike- I do "creative projects" all the time because it helps my anxiety:p. If I'm not painting, sewing, upholstery, building, assembling parrot toys ect... something, I go crazy:30: I also clean all the time, to the point it's a bit on the OCD side, but the desk has recently been commandeered by my husband, and thus, has a *tad* more mess on it that I would like it to have:eek: I'm a bit on the crazy side of the spectrum, but I agree- when you're showing 'strangers' your home, why would you have it look like a total pigsty? I haven't ever seen anything too messy on this forum (guess parrot owners must be a clean bunch:D), but I have been to peoples homes where you can barely see the floor, the toilet, sinks and tub/shower have layers of grime and you don't want to sit down on the furniture because your unsure what might crawl up your leg:eek:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I hate when people post pictures of something and don't take the time to clean up the area a bit. Thank you.

LOL, I know. Sometimes you'll see pics and think if my house was that trashed out, I'd at least make sure it was 'clean' for the picture haha :eek:

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Parrots
Joe- That was indeed an interesting read. I have seen photos of the blue and yellow mutation amazons, but never understood the exact mechanics behind their colorations. I also found the part about the wild-caught noises interesting. My parents have a wild caught female DYH, and she makes the most beautiful noises. It's almost like she's singing when she vocalizes. Her "mate" of 40 years was captive-bred and does not make the same noises, nor does Kiwi or any other captive-bred zon I've heard. Pinkybird posted a video once of her wild-caught zon http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/42352-what-your-zon-sounds-like.html, and he made very similar noises to Lucy. It's very different than the "shrilly" noises the captive bred birds make, and thats a shame:(

Thanks! I spent a hour over there reading all the info I could find!!

I would LOVE to own one of those, BUT @ $12,000.00 I would get a Hyacinth first :rolleyes: :D

Joe

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
I love your deck that is one thing I miss about Oregon how green and beautiful it is.

I love to decorate. My mom and I thought about starting our own staging business.

I think if you painted the stand with the granite on it a white it would tie into your counters on the other side, therefore, making it all unified. You could also paint the spice rack the same color as the microwave stand. If you have an all white kitchen you'll need a splash of color so I would leave the mirror green and paint the roaster green and hang it above the microwave. That way you've created movement for your eye, it starts with the green roaster then to the green mirror and finally the green in the rug.

I personal like furniture to be a neural color and use accessories for ascent color. I like dark wood so I would paint it all dark brown like you suggested. You could also easily change the fabric to a cream color on the green chair if you wanted to incorporate the lighter color that you like. The blue and gold macaw figure would really pop on a neural table.

Most important I love the grape amazon but the green Kiwi bird would match the green mirror and rug ( there goes my OCD again) lol:D

Sorry I went on and on as I said I love to decorate. I look forward to seeing your newly decorated house.:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts