Need some training help

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
well, here we go again....my new gold cap conure is out smarting me in training.
Oh, he steps up very willingly when he wants out of the cage, then flies off to go play. He does this every time I bring him out, within seconds.
Then when I ask him to step up, noooooo, he runs off. I don't want to go from side to side then it becomes a chase game.
I've tried having him step up on the perches that I have, and he does, but then hops off and runs off again...grrrrrr, obviously I don't have any control over him at this point.

they recommend to train a bird in a different room, right now all my rooms are filled with either birds or other animals, such as guinea pigs etc which are my daughters.

I have a training perch for him(it's a polly perch) but the only room available is the bathroom:eek:
which will work, but I have to admit it's a bit strange.

How do I prevent him from flying off. Should I try having him step up on the polly perch then walk into the bathroom, then work on stepping up. I do clicker training with him, but sometimes he just refuses to take the treat too.:eek:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Clip his wings.....they will grow back with the next molt & clipping will make him more inclined to pay attention.....

By another/other room, the reference normally means a room the bird is not familiar with.....if even the bedrooms are filled with animals, a bathroom would be my next choice.....the reason for taking them to another room is to remove distractions other animals/birds might/will cause.....

When I get frustrated with the birds, I walk away & come back another day.....

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that his wings are clipped. so he flutters off, I guess he'd rather play than sit on my shoulder. I'm sensing he is uncomfortable, or unsure.
I'm not in a hurry to train him, I've just noticed every time I get a conure, they all have the same tendencies, step up, then fly off.
since I just got him a week ago, I feel like I should be working with him so we can develop a bond, not just let him play, and I come to see him every now and then.
My Senegal Safari was like that in the beginning, never wanted to be with me, but with my daughter, or wanted to play on top of the flight cages.
Now, she is excellent.
I just don't want time to go by and loose the opportunity to bond when I first got him.

Most Reactions