Need to know the difference between Magna and DYHA

Petwisdom

Jun 26, 2019
petwisdom-albums-dyha-picture21480-videocapture-20190627-193342.jpg

http://www.parrotforums.com/members...picture21478-videocapture-20190627-192954.jpg

http://www.parrotforums.com/members...picture21479-videocapture-20190627-193214.jpg

Hi I have uploaded some pics can anyone let me know the one I hold is a normal DYHA or a Magna .. please help me to know the difference between a magna and a DYHA amazon

Last edited:

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I can't see your album, not quite sure how to get there on tapatalk on my phone. However, determining if your bird is a magna can be difficult, especially if he is young. A magna is still a DYH, it is just a subspecies. Mine is a magna and I'll show you a few pictures to highlight a few traits that TEND to be specific to the manga subspecies. However, it does not guarentee anything due to the amount of crossbreeding between magnas and other subspecies. I only know for certain that Bo is a magna because both of his parents are.

Magnas tend to have large red patches on their shoulders as well as yellow splotches around the red. They develop full yellow heads all the way back to the nape. My baby has not fully developed his yellow head yet, he's not even 2 yet. It takes until they are 4 or 5 until they get their full adult coloring. Magnas also tend to develop yellow around their ankles and can occasionally get yellow suffused through their chest. Bo has an incredible amount of yellow already for being only a little over a year and a half old. Hope this helped as I couldn't st your pictures
8690d7393fff221391d3613b535f8d7e.jpg
2b490b3e361b1a99e4182320f8d0a483.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I can see your album, looks like A. o. magna to me but I am not expert

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Most Avian Judges will not define between a Magna and a nominate DYH Amazon until they are at least six years of age with some judges recommending at least 10 years of age to allow for the vast majority of coloration to set.

In addition to OutlawedSpirit's definitions (plus the joy of knowing the Parents) the Magna's tend to be larger in overall body size and weight. Not uncommon for a full adult 15 years of age to be 100 grams heavier (600+ grams), but I have seen fully flighted Magna's in the 650+ range.

Ask for paperwork that defines the parents as Magna's and DYN's have been crossbred for far too long.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I will tell you the difference between a Double Yellow Head and a Magna Double Yellow Head. I love them both. But... DYH hate me on sight and Magna DYH REALLY hate me on sight.

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I will tell you the difference between a Double Yellow Head and a Magna Double Yellow Head. I love them both. But... DYH hate me on sight and Magna DYH REALLY hate me on sight.
So Al, if you're ever in northern Illinois, you wanna get together and do a bit of a test? Just a little extra confirmation if you will? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Casper223

Apr 27, 2019
Gulf Coast, Louisiana/Mississippi State Line S/E
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo "Zoey"

Reading this reply while drinking coffee is a definite No.... No..... Wrench you just cracked me up..... and I know how much you love Amazon's.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts