Need your opinion about scale!

Kiwiwade

Aug 30, 2011
Hawaii
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus : Po
I am considering to purchase a digital scale with perch to keep records of my new baby Pionus weights as he grow, however I am not sure which one is the best. I checked amazon.com and many other sites and none stands out to be the best. Could anyone provide me with a good maker and where to get it from experience?

Thank you in advance!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Yes I got a bird scale from a man that has made them for many years and backs them up too. Just go to birdscales.com and that is him.

Shade

Sep 27, 2011
Canada
Parrots
Piper - Peachface Lovebird;
Shade - Senegal Parrot;
Joey & Pixel - Red-bellied Parrots;
Petey & Zuri - Meyer's Parrots;
Léa - Cape Parrot
While a scale with a built in perch is nice, they can sometimes get rather expensive.
I use a regular digital kitchen scale and have put my own small table perch on it (made from a cafeteria tray and PVC). Works great and wasn't expensive :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I use a digital scale for Mishka, the make is Torrey, made is South Africa. Mishka began being weighed at 6 weeks old, therefore is not afraid to stand on the scale without a perch.

Photo0464-1.jpg

Last edited:

coral1

Sep 27, 2011
ohio
Parrots
Blue headed pionus parror
is it important to keep track of your birds weight?? i never knew i had to

OP
K

Kiwiwade

Aug 30, 2011
Hawaii
Parrots
Blue Headed Pionus : Po
Thank you all!

And Coral1, I think it is good idea to keep track of your bird weight daily to monitor the health of your bird. I used to weigh my lovebirds daily when I was breeding them and was able to catch any sign of sickness etc that way. :) Not requirement, but if you have a access to scale, good idea.

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
I recently picked up a digital scale. I had it on my shopping list for quite a while but also couldn't decide which one to buy. I chose a Taylor digital scale that measure ounces and grams. It has a glass top and a small profile, which works fine for my birds. I was worried at first about not having a true perch, but so far, my boys have stepped up to the scale nicely and the smooth glass top hasn't been a problem.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I have had my digital scale since Mihijo was a hatchling. He is 16 years old and I have weighed all my parrots on it. One thing that Mihijo learned to like to do is to bob his head up and down really hard so he can see the numbers change. I had to start setting him on it with his back to the number readout. *sigh*

Without this scale I would of lost Joaquin a lot sooner than I did. I noticed he ate light one day so I weighed him before I put him to bed. The next morning I weighed him and he went from 376 to 218. I freaked and called the vet and took him in right away. The vet was able to stabilize him by giving him subcutaneous fluids. It took me 3 months of hand feeding to get his weight back up to normal. I depend on my digital scale a lot. It lets me know if there is a problem with the parrot since their maladies are weight driven.

I am sure by now there are many brands out there that are good. I got mine from the breeder when I bought my bird. Love on the Wing. They might have some scales and their prices are good for parrot supplies. Don't make the mistake I did and go down to the warehouse during a sale as I left with a puppy when I went down there to buy PARROT supplies. That is another story in itself

Noblemacaw

rednerite

Apr 27, 2011
I also use a basic digital kitchen scale with a flat glass top. Chico steps up on it no problem, Charlie lays down on his back on it (since he's paralyzed), and our newest addition Crackers has yet to use it since he is not hand tame and I'm working on that first and letting him settle in before toweling him to be weighed. He'll be going to the vet next week though, so we'll get an official weight there!

Shade

Sep 27, 2011
Canada
Parrots
Piper - Peachface Lovebird;
Shade - Senegal Parrot;
Joey & Pixel - Red-bellied Parrots;
Petey & Zuri - Meyer's Parrots;
Léa - Cape Parrot
As pointed out above, tracking weight is very important as it might be one of the showing signs that your bird is sick before anything else starts showing up.

I typically weigh my guys every second day, although since Léa's arrival they've been weighed once a day, every day and Léa has been weighed three times a day, every day (as she is still growing and weight fluctuates).

It's also important to weigh them at a similar time - as weight with an empty/full crop varies, pre/after morning poop varies..you want to do it fairly constantly.

Close weight monitoring has shown me that when I go away and have my birds looked after can be "bad" for Piper as he generally has a drop in weight. The fact that this drop always happens for the same circumstance at least shows me it's likely not a disease as the weight goes back up once he's back home with us.

Most Reactions