Needle toenails

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
So our B&G has managed to now have pointy needle toenails!! She is not to the point of trusting us enough to let us mess with them yet. What are some things we can put on her perches or cage to file them? I've read sandpaper, and seen pros and cons. Anyone use it?

On a plus note! We have feathers!!! Beautiful feathers growing in everywhere!!! And she is no longer plucking!!!! She's looking better week by week!

May 23, 2015
Idaho
Parrots
Bonny-Shamrock Macaw, Pan-Quaker Parrot, Hermes-Cockatiel
The Sweet Feet pedi perch's work really well, they are smooth on top, with rough sides.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WE5ZCC/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g199_i4_sh"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WE5ZCC/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g199_i4_sh[/ame]

31JxqvXNabL.jpg

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I like the Concrete Perch or a Sandstone perch

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005563A10/ref=s9_simh_gw_g199_i4_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0WSWBNMHGZFSW4A4TZZ7&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop"]Amazon.com : Polly's Beach Sands Bird Perch, Large : Pet Supplies[/ame]

41EPVipSxyL._AC_UX500_SY400_.jpg

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Please don't put any sandpaper over her perches. Remember, the soft part of her feet will be touching the sandpaper, too, and that canā€™t possibly be comfortable.

I use natural perches with different diameters for my own big macs (dragonwood WITH bark still attached), and havenā€™t had an issue with razor-claws since providing those. :)

OP
J

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
I will get some of those thanks Wendy! She literally has needle nails right now! She has poked four holes in my arm today when we went on our daily outing!!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sweet! Jess, donā€™t be afraid to throw in a perch thatā€™s 3ā€ in diameter. Sure, her feet wonā€™t fit around it, but thatā€™s the whole idea. If the big chunk of wood has the bark, she wonā€™t slip. She will literally wear down those sharp talons trying to stay ON the perch, LOL. Plus, itā€™s actually good for parrots to have different diameters of perches, as they will use different muscles in their feet. ļŠ:)

Dec 23, 2013
Hi..I pay the vet $25 every 4 months or so to cut and buff Ivan's nails...so worth it he can be mad at them.lol...no one in the area??

May 23, 2015
Idaho
Parrots
I will get some of those thanks Wendy! She literally has needle nails right now! She has poked four holes in my arm today when we went on our daily outing!!!

Bonny's nails have gotten the same way (before I got the sweet feet perch), to a point that it was very painful to hold her.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
And the new perch is history.
PLUS the destroyed the Beach Sand Perch. SO he is stuck with Natural wood and Concrete Lets see the little brat eat that.

Yeah I will buy him a new one but will stick with the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005563A10/ref=s9_simh_gw_g199_i4_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0WSWBNMHGZFSW4A4TZZ7&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop"]Amazon.com : Polly's Beach Sands Bird Perch, Large : Pet Supplies[/ame] it did last a year lol

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
WOW, that lasted BB an entire year??? :eek: That's pretty darn good! I can't give those to either big macs as they turn those into dust within less than an hour. :(

My Amazons like these:
PPP50393 Polly's Manu Mineral Cactus Perch XLarge - HEALTH AIDS/SUPPLEMENTS

I get them the X-large one, and they last about 4-6 months. :)

Thank you. Going to order two of those right now. Yeah he never did like it much but once he figured he could chew instead of rub BAM

Wait are they good for a Macaw ?

Last edited:

May 23, 2015
Idaho
Parrots
WOW, that lasted BB an entire year??? :eek: That's pretty darn good! I can't give those to either big macs as they turn those into dust within less than an hour. :(

My Amazons like these:

I have gotten the same kind for Bonny,

TUC60030 Cholla Single Bolt-On Perch 12" - NATURAL WOOD PERCHES

So far no damage to it, but sadly it did nothing for de-needling her nails.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Ok just ordered two more of these and bought amazon prime. Whew

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pollys-Beach-Sands-Perch-Large/dp/B005563A10/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1452621057&sr=1-1&keywords=Polly%27s+Beach+Sands+Bird+Perch%2C+Large"]Amazon.com : Polly's Beach Sands Bird Perch, Large : Pet Supplies[/ame]

OP
J

Jessw931

Nov 11, 2015
I think as much parrot stuff as I am buying from Amazon, I need to go prime also!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Honestly, I'd take the bird to a groomer, and get his nails done. Let the groomer be the bad guy.

Sandpaper perches will tear up their feet. I hate those things!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

My Amazons like these:

Each of my birds has one of those in their cages. I like those manu mineral perches. They seem to be a favorite with my flock... (that and rope boings.)

Most Reactions