Never seen a finch behave like this before

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
hi, so i was at my local pet store asking one of the employees about hand tame finches. She went over to a java finch in a small cage ( the pet store takes very good care of all there animals, it is not a chain store and the owner hand raises all his parrots and takes exeptional care of them, the bird was in too small of a cage, but they are all healthy and the owner would never sell them in a cage that size, its just a temporary holding cage). she taped the cage and the bird tried to bite her, and he never tried to fly away, he just tried to bite her a few times when she stuck her finger in. my question is, i know young finches can be tamed into loving pets, but this was an adult. i figured since he was brave enough to stay put, that hes less afraid, and even as an adult, would be tamealbe. he was alone in the cage so he wasnt defending a mate or eggs. i beleive he is an adult male java rice finch, so do you guys think he could be tamed? thank you :)

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
also the zebra finches at the store will sit nestled between the doves wings its adorable:D!

Aaron1994

Apr 20, 2012
Canada, BC
Parrots
Not a parrot owner, but currently caring for a Java finch.
I believe he can be tamed with out a doubt! I came along a similar event almost like yours. A small cage with a lone java finch, chirping to get my attention and we had a chirp session together he seemed happy and looked extremely content being visited. I still heard him singing for me as I left down the isle he peeked for me. This spontaniously melted my heart! so the next day I went back and got him.. He is doing great, I had him only for 2 days I communicate with him non-stop a whole day. He is with me beside my computer he got real comfortable with my presence in his cage when I change his dishes or add a dish of assorted greens/fruits for him, he now just remains put on a perch or atop his nest carefully watching my actions, this is great progress in my opinion for an adult finch. With commitment, patience and knowledge you can achieve this goal, it may be hard and an enduring exhausting task. But the reward will be magnificent! a thought impossible task defeated.

~Aaron

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
thank you so much for the reply, i posted on your thread, and mentioned getting a friend for your finch, after reading this i think hes fine with you, you really get along :). it turns out the finch was tame and he let me hold him, i was sold. however someone bought him :(. but it was a blessing in disguise, because my dad decided to let me get another bird, and now im going to get a quaker or a pionus :). by any chance do you have pictures of this little cutie :)?

Aaron1994

Apr 20, 2012
Canada, BC
Parrots
Not a parrot owner, but currently caring for a Java finch.
For sure, I haven't got around to taking a photo of little Zeus, but I will very soon and post it on my profile :)

OP
ann

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
i cant wait to see it :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts