New and Cage Size

djuran

Jun 19, 2012
Parrots
I am about to be the owner of a baby Timneh African Grey, and could use some advice regarding cage size. I have been told that the Greys can sometimes be unhappy in a cage that is too large. I am looking at either a 32 x 23 inch or a 36 x 28. I had read that bigger is better, but now I'm reconsidering. Any suggestions???

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum :)

Congrats on your new Baby TG. How long before you bring Him/Her Home?

I would say the 36 x 28 Cage would be just a nice size!

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
My TAG'S cage is 32 x 23 and it is plenty big for him . Of course he does not stay in it much , He likes hanging out on top of it : )

I have a sleep cage for him in my bedroom that is 19 x 15 because he did not like sleeping in the big cage . He loves the smaller cage for night time . In fact he flies to my bedroom when it is time for bed and is ready to go right in it : )

Congrats on your new baby !

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Our two don't use a cage, except at night, where it may provide some emotional security, but they have no problem being in an open room all night, either.

I equate daytime cage time to jail time.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
It depends on how much time they will be spending in the cage. If your fid will be in there for more than 4 hours a day then he/she will need the 32x28 if the cage is only for night time use or for no more than 2 hours a day then you can get away with the 32x23. But I suggest you just go ahead a get the bigger cage because what if you have to go away somewhere unexpectedly and you have to lock him up for a day or two, then the big cage will come in handy.

4theBirds

May 28, 2012
Montana
Parrots
4 Budgies, 4 Finches, Bindi (CAG), & Babu (TAG), AND 12 Dachshunds
It depends on how much time they will be spending in the cage. .

Congrats :D :grey:
May I also suggest you plan for room for toys. I feel it's important that your new companion learn to amuse him/herself.

Most Reactions