New babies

Csells

Aug 7, 2017
So we did it. My husband and I both got Grey's. I'm the animal lover, trainer, addict in the house and my husband is not. At all. But, he's always wanted a Grey. So we went to the store, picked out a baby who was still being weaned and decided to purchase him/her. (Sex unknown). Well, after visiting the bird several times over 4 weeks, it became VERY apparent that the bird had naturally chosen my husband. Like head over feathers in love. Well, I know me. And I know it would be so hard to have a bird that I've wanted since I was a little girl not be bonded to me. So, what did we do? I picked out my own Grey.

Fast forward to today. We've now had them for 3 nights. My husband's bird, Valyrian is a LOVER. But, he also took a little longer to wean then the other one so he is very used to being handled and loved. ( They are a couple days apart from different parents.) V is already trying to talk, climbs to the front of the cage for my husband anytime he walks up, and literally cuddles up against his neck when he has him out. Mine on the other hand, tries to escape from my hand when I open the cage, and when I do have her out she just seems tense and afaid. She will take blueberries from me but other then that, he doesn't want to be touched or held. To watch my husband's bird, V be calm and loving and then see mine (Storm) so afraid is a disheartening.

I guess I'm looking for stories, advice and reassurance that Storm will come around as long as I'm patient. And I need to know that I'm doing the right thing, or if I'm doing the wrong thing.

Thanks in advance! By the way, we came up with Storm because we literally got him/her a couple days after Harvey. We weren't directly affected, but just a mile down the road houses were completely under water. Many of our friends and family lost everything. I wanted a reminder, years from now, to never take anything for granted.

Attachments

• 20170903_103003.jpg
    20170903_103003.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 110

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Yup...I agree with David..Now don't forget,they are both very young,and you have only had them a few days. New faces,new home...BIG change from what Storm has been accustomed to :eek:.

You should have let the bird pick YOU...not you picking the BIRD. When a birdie does the picking it makes things much easier. It shows that the birdie already likes you,and lessens the stress level and time it will take.

Just take it real easy with Storm (and Val) for some time. Talk gently and quietly with him/her,offering treaties etc.

Have they been out of their houses yet? Do you have them in the same house? ( when I say "house" I mean cage..sorry :rolleyes:)

There will/are be plenty of very knowledgeable Grey folks here that will be more than willing to answer any questions or concerns you may have!

And WELCOME to the best danged Parrot Forum around!
And as always...PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!! :04:

Jim

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yes agreed in letting the bird pick you. But what's done is done. Remember it's only been 3 days, V is used to your husband because as a baby he met your husband and learnt that he's fun and friendly. Storm meanwhile doesn't know you from the people who keep poking their hands in the cage and scaring him. Also birds have different personalities, Storm may just be less of a lovebug. Give him time and let him settle and get used to you. Think how stressful a move you plan is, now think how stressful a move you're forced to do is.

Also why is it so clear cut of yours and your husband's birds? Surely they both belong to both of you?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations for your new babies! Greys are fascinating and enigmatic parrots with complex emotions. While the concept of letting the bird "choose you" is well advised, all is not lost. Birds are keen observers and one technique is to let Storm (great name btw) observe the closeness of your husband with Valyrian. The task for you bonding with Storm is a bit easier given his young age. Plenty of one-to-one time with treats and other pleasantries may bolster the relationship.

Greys can be "one person birds" so a good technique for both you and husband is to spend as much time as possible with each.

OP
Csells

Csells

Aug 7, 2017
First, and foremost, thank you all for the warm comments. In the dog world, and especially the training world, people are cruel and judgmental keyboard ninjas. I'm quickly learning bird people are not like this - or at least the forums and FB pages I've been a part of since this journey began. So, again thank you!

Also, I HATE using the word "it" when referring to any animal, but I feel like in this case is warranted.

I wanted to be sure I did clear some things up. First, when I decided to get my own Grey, I looked at 3. 2 were in the process of being weaned and 1 had already been weaned about a month prior. The one who was already weaned had also already been in the same room as Valyrian so I asked to see that bird first. When the bird first came out of it's "house", it flapped it's wings frantically. My husband attempted to hold it while I was washing my hands and it wanted nothing to do with him. Once I walked over, I calmly spoke to the bird and asked for him/her to step up and it did. Once on me, it stopped flapping it's wings and just sat there. I sat down for a couple minutes and just spoke to it then put it back. I asked to see the other 2 younger babies. Both were fairly sweet but they were shaking like a leaf and biting very, very hard. (The first bird put it's beak on me but never with any pressure.) I then asked to hold the first bird again. When I reached in the cage to take it out, nothing. It immediately stepped up and already seemed calmer. No, the bird was not like Val was towards my husband, but it took 2 sessions before he showed favoritism so I didn't think anything of it. Between the 3 birds, the first one was my favorite, so that is who I picked aka Storm. - Just a back story in case anyone thought I just took whatever was available.

To answer the question - why his/her birds? Mainly because the Grey I grew up around was my DADS bird. His wife fed him and hung out with him, but he loved my dad. Then, all of the reading and research I've done says that MOST (not all) are typically 1 person birds. I was afraid, after seeing Val with my husband, that I would be "left out". I have my own training facility so I am able to bring my bird with me to work daily. I'm a huge clicker trainer and look forward to teaching Storm as many tricks as I can. I was worried I wouldn't have the bond with Val and if he did start getting attached to me, would he ignore my husband - who is IN LOVE with V. So, I just figured it would be best if we each had our own bird. Don't get my wrong. When my bird is up and Val is out, I talk to him and I'll pet him, but for the most part we try and spend time with our personal birds. I hope that isn't too wrong...?

OP
Csells

Csells

Aug 7, 2017
I do have a few questions just to be sure I am starting off on the right foot:
(Please bare with me!)

1. We are a house full of animals. 2 dogs, a cat and a squirrel. (The snake and fish will never be anywhere around the bird, so I'll leave those out). Should I keep the animals and birds completely separated for now until they feel safe...and when I say "they" I mean Storm....or should I immediately let them be out and about and let the birds "get used to it right off the bat". My animals are EXTREMELY well behaved and will stay on a "place stay" until told otherwise. The cat is also very disinterested. She just wants to be around us and can't understand why we are keeping her out of the room. Our animals are a way of life so I'm torn between having the babies just "get used to them being around knowing they wont mess with them", or giving them time to settle in. What do y'all think?

2. If Storm doesn't want to step up, if she/he just sits on the perch and looks at me when I open and enter the cage, what should I do? Before today, I've just stayed persistent and Storm eventually DOES step up. Once out and on the table top, Storm will play with toys, eat food and preen - seeming fairly comfortable. So, again I'm torn. Do I allow her to stay in the cage if she doesn't seem to WANT to come to me and just wait her out, be it days, weeks, months, or do I just stick with it until she steps up so she can see it's positive being out of her cage?

3. Shower/bath/spray - I know they're dusty birds and I've read they need bathed weekly, or daily if they enjoy it. I feel like that would just add more stress to an already stressful situation. Is it OK to hold off on spraying the babies until they seem settled in?

You guys have truly been the best. I have a ton more questions, but I feel as I'm overwhelming as it is so I'll bring them little by little. There is no way for me to think of all these questions until I actually brought Storm home and see what THIS specific bird is like!

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I think its cool they both have their own personalities. Besides after puberty V may not want to cuddle anymore anyway. I was afraid my Timneh wasn't going to like me after getting bitten a bunch our first few meetings but I love her and all she wants is her dad so I guess you never know. Her first owners said she wasn't friendly but she cuddles with me at night and waits for me to wake up in the morning. Greys are wicked stubborn. I've had Timneh almost year now and I have so much to learn still, I feel still very inexperienced. The time just flies by. I asked Timneh what her name is and she said aaaaaaaaah, what? Timneh still hates showerrs but she will give her self bathes almost everyday. she pinches me while i spray her down sometimes. you could offer a bath for your birdie and they can use it if they want too.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I was wondering if your husband was going to get his butt onto the forums? That way we get two sides of the grey story lol.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

First, and foremost, thank you all for the warm comments. In the dog world, and especially the training world, people are cruel and judgmental keyboard ninjas. I'm quickly learning bird people are not like this - or at least the forums and FB pages I've been a part of since this journey began. So, again thank you!

Also, I HATE using the word "it" when referring to any animal, but I feel like in this case is warranted.

....Just a back story in case anyone thought I just took whatever was available.

To answer the question - why his/her birds? Mainly because the Grey I grew up around was my DADS bird. His wife fed him and hung out with him, but he loved my dad. Then, all of the reading and research I've done says that MOST (not all) are typically 1 person birds. I was afraid, after seeing Val with my husband, that I would be "left out". I have my own training facility so I am able to bring my bird with me to work daily. I'm a huge clicker trainer and look forward to teaching Storm as many tricks as I can. I was worried I wouldn't have the bond with Val and if he did start getting attached to me, would he ignore my husband - who is IN LOVE with V. So, I just figured it would be best if we each had our own bird. Don't get my wrong. When my bird is up and Val is out, I talk to him and I'll pet him, but for the most part we try and spend time with our personal birds. I hope that isn't too wrong...?

You'll find this a mellow group with very few interpersonal squabbles! It's all about our shared love for avians! Unlike many forums, we don't discuss politics or religion, two divisive facets that are amply discussed elsewhere.

I believe your methodology of choosing your babies and the selection of two is commendable. Greys are very often one-person birds, and you both seem enthusiastic and loving parronts. If you have the desire, time, and ability to care for two, by all means!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I do have a few questions just to be sure I am starting off on the right foot:
(Please bare with me!)

1. We are a house full of animals. 2 dogs, a cat and a squirrel. (The snake and fish will never be anywhere around the bird, so I'll leave those out). Should I keep the animals and birds completely separated for now until they feel safe...and when I say "they" I mean Storm....or should I immediately let them be out and about and let the birds "get used to it right off the bat". My animals are EXTREMELY well behaved and will stay on a "place stay" until told otherwise. The cat is also very disinterested. She just wants to be around us and can't understand why we are keeping her out of the room. Our animals are a way of life so I'm torn between having the babies just "get used to them being around knowing they wont mess with them", or giving them time to settle in. What do y'all think?

2. If Storm doesn't want to step up, if she/he just sits on the perch and looks at me when I open and enter the cage, what should I do? Before today, I've just stayed persistent and Storm eventually DOES step up. Once out and on the table top, Storm will play with toys, eat food and preen - seeming fairly comfortable. So, again I'm torn. Do I allow her to stay in the cage if she doesn't seem to WANT to come to me and just wait her out, be it days, weeks, months, or do I just stick with it until she steps up so she can see it's positive being out of her cage?

3. Shower/bath/spray - I know they're dusty birds and I've read they need bathed weekly, or daily if they enjoy it. I feel like that would just add more stress to an already stressful situation. Is it OK to hold off on spraying the babies until they seem settled in?

You guys have truly been the best. I have a ton more questions, but I feel as I'm overwhelming as it is so I'll bring them little by little. There is no way for me to think of all these questions until I actually brought Storm home and see what THIS specific bird is like!

You are well-rounded animal lovers!!

1- Maintain vigilance between your Greys and the others at all times. Many dogs and cats appear uninterested... until they are. The Bereavement forum is filled with horrific tales of unanticipated duels, and the bird is almost always the loser. Not an inevitability, but a justified concern. Having a simple and foolproof protocol is the best way to avoid an unwanted interaction.

A squirrel? Was it an orphaned baby? Tame??!!

2- Storm is still new and adjusting to your home. It can take a week or well more to be comfortable with leaving the only security - a cage. The use of encouraging words and/or a treat may hasten exit. You'll want to make leaving the cage a positive experience. If such behavior persists beyond a few weeks, might want to reevaluate the surroundings to determine if something is "scary." I'd guess she's doing quite well for now!

3- Bathing can be a battle of wills. Some birds love water, others detest. Most of my past Greys are the latter. One technique is to use a bottle with an adjustable sprayer and begin with a fine mist. Dollar Stores have an ideal unit. Hold from a distance and angle the spray so the trajectory falls from above. Gradually increase the intensity and duration. Many birds will eventually tolerate showers in a kitchen sink or even the human equivalent.

Ask away! It is impossible to be fully briefed until the moment a feathered creature arrives in your home.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Read read read all the Grey sub forum posts. Get Sally Blanchards Companion Parrot Handbook - it is invaluable. Greys are introspective and are real observers. In any training, be consistent. Good luck andkeep us posted.

OP
Csells

Csells

Aug 7, 2017
I was wondering if your husband was going to get his butt onto the forums? That way we get two sides of the grey story lol.

I agree! He's not much of a forum/social media person but I think the love and desire to do right by his bird is outweighing that!

You'll find this a mellow group with very few interpersonal squabbles! It's all about our shared love for avians! Unlike many forums, we don't discuss politics or religion, two divisive facets that are amply discussed elsewhere.

I believe your methodology of choosing your babies and the selection of two is commendable. Greys are very often one-person birds, and you both seem enthusiastic and loving parronts. If you have the desire, time, and ability to care for two, by all means!!

Thank you!

You are well-rounded animal lovers!!

1- Maintain vigilance between your Greys and the others at all times. Many dogs and cats appear uninterested... until they are. The Bereavement forum is filled with horrific tales of unanticipated duels, and the bird is almost always the loser. Not an inevitability, but a justified concern. Having a simple and foolproof protocol is the best way to avoid an unwanted interaction.

A squirrel? Was it an orphaned baby? Tame??!!.

Thanks for the reminder to keep an eye out regardless how well I trust my animals.

Yes, the Squirrel "Twitch" was a week old when her nest and siblings were destroyed during a land clearing. I nursed her back and have raised her every since! Such a cool girl!!

2- Storm is still new and adjusting to your home. It can take a week or well more to be comfortable with leaving the only security - a cage. The use of encouraging words and/or a treat may hasten exit. You'll want to make leaving the cage a positive experience. If such behavior persists beyond a few weeks, might want to reevaluate the surroundings to determine if something is "scary." I'd guess she's doing quite well for now!

3- Bathing can be a battle of wills. Some birds love water, others detest. Most of my past Greys are the latter. One technique is to use a bottle with an adjustable sprayer and begin with a fine mist. Dollar Stores have an ideal unit. Hold from a distance and angle the spray so the trajectory falls from above. Gradually increase the intensity and duration. Many birds will eventually tolerate showers in a kitchen sink or even the human equivalent.

Ask away! It is impossible to be fully briefed until the moment a feathered creature arrives in your home.

Since writing my last post, Storm is stepping up every time I open her door. She makes a lot of "complaining noises" and puts her beak on me the whole time she is stepping up and as I am moving her out, but once she is out of her house, she stops. Not sure what this means, but the fact that she isn't running from me and is willingly stepping up gives me some hope.

I'm going to wean her in slowly with the bath. The past two nights I've let her perch on the top of the shower rim and watch me while I shower (not creepy AT ALL) LOL. I'm hoping this will help the process when the time does come. I've used a water bottle with a mister but she complains and flapped her wings so I stopped.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I think you and Storm are making excellent progress. Greys are not always the most cooperative of parrots, so expect some complaining to continue.

Demonstrating the virtues of the shower is a great idea. They are so observant and can learn by example.

Can you handle Twitch? I've never seen a captive squirrel but assume they are capable of definitive personalities.

CKP

Feb 16, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Maverick - BFA (hatchdate: 05/04/2016)
Since writing my last post, Storm is stepping up every time I open her door. She makes a lot of "complaining noises" and puts her beak on me the whole time she is stepping up and as I am moving her out, but once she is out of her house, she stops. Not sure what this means, but the fact that she isn't running from me and is willingly stepping up gives me some hope.

I'm going to wean her in slowly with the bath. The past two nights I've let her perch on the top of the shower rim and watch me while I shower (not creepy AT ALL) LOL. I'm hoping this will help the process when the time does come. I've used a water bottle with a mister but she complains and flapped her wings so I stopped.

We have a BFA, not a Grey but... figured I'd throw in my experience with him.

We got Mav from a breeder without ever having "met" him. Of the birds available when we were looking, we did not care for how the 2 we visited near our home were raised (felt very "money-hungry", the birds acted scared, etc) and we found a breeder we immediately clicked with in New Jersey, so we went for it and had him shipped to us. And now he is 'Velcro', so don't worry... it just takes so time! And lots of patience!

When we first got Mav home and in his cage, he wanted NOTHING to do with us. We were persistent with treats, calm encouragement, etc and by the end of the first week he stepped up pretty consistently for us. He took to me more than my wife initially, so she was pretty bummed out. That being said, I'm an idiot and like to push my luck so I was the one pushing Mav's boundaries and learning his body language (which for Amazons is BLATANTLY displayed). Anyways... my point is, once your baby settles in you'll be fine. The fact you can get a consistent step up is a great start!

As for the beak thing, it's their "third" hand and as long as it isn't a bite, it is probably more for added stability and security. Mav uses his beak to climb all over our hands, but never bites hard (until of course we offend him by not doing exactly what he wants). Probably just a way for Storm to feel more secure while you're moving her out of a cage. That's my theory at least haha

Mav HATES showering. He loves to sit on the top of our shower and be NEAR the water, serenade me with whistles and songs, but he hates water. I've tried spray bottles, PVC/suction cup perches so he can be closer but not under the water... nothings works. He still makes "grumpy man" noises. So we get the shower over with as fast as possible twice a week and then he gets lots of cuddles and treats. Ah well, you win some and lose some...

Good luck with Storm!! I'm only 1% (times 100 :D ) jealous because I am in the process of convincing my wife a Grey should be our second baby. Can't wait to see your journey with Storm unfold!

OP
Csells

Csells

Aug 7, 2017
I think you and Storm are making excellent progress. Greys are not always the most cooperative of parrots, so expect some complaining to continue.

Demonstrating the virtues of the shower is a great idea. They are so observant and can learn by example.

Can you handle Twitch? I've never seen a captive squirrel but assume they are capable of definitive personalities.

Thank you! Actually, yesterday I had her on the edge of the shower and I asked her to "step-up" while I was in the shower and the water was still running. She didn't seem scared at all as I drew her closer. She started biting the water and remained calm. I was actually able to give her a 10 minute shower and she really seemed to like it!! So excited!

Twitch is a sweet girl definitely hand able. She gets nervous around kids and new places, but overall anyone can hold her and she has her routine every morning to sit on my back while I prepare the animals food and she plays on her play house in the evenings. Extremely full of energy, but overall she's a great pet!

18033138_118764655339765_8871331437437755616_n.jpg

18557144_129577737591790_8329415601541972488_n.jpg

19105637_139478359935061_8873672120854917234_n.jpg

20374459_155434725006091_3140641188643983897_n.jpg

OP
Csells

Csells

Aug 7, 2017
21314668_10155442996047419_8881606467539735459_n.jpg

21462690_10155446271177419_9161943841630604906_n.jpg

Storm is really coming around. She allowed me to give her a shower yesterday and today she hung out on my shoulder for a while. She hasn't been able to sit on my comfortably since we got her - always looking to get away. She still doesn't like to be pet and I can't get her to take treats from me for anything. Any recommendations on that?

Overall, I am pleased with our progress. Thank you all for everything!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
good to hear you're progressing. Just keep at it, they can be pretty stubborn. Try figuring out her favourite treat of course, there's often something they could assist in world domination for. the UN gets upset by it but it's fine.

on another note AHAHAHA Your squirrel has a little harness! He looks so cute with it on. clearly loves your hubby a lot! I used to want a pet squirrel before I understood what a wild animal means

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Thank you! Actually, yesterday I had her on the edge of the shower and I asked her to "step-up" while I was in the shower and the water was still running. She didn't seem scared at all as I drew her closer. She started biting the water and remained calm. I was actually able to give her a 10 minute shower and she really seemed to like it!! So excited!

Twitch is a sweet girl definitely hand able. She gets nervous around kids and new places, but overall anyone can hold her and she has her routine every morning to sit on my back while I prepare the animals food and she plays on her play house in the evenings. Extremely full of energy, but overall she's a great pet!

What an amazing save for Twitch! I had no idea squirrels can be tamed!1

BTW, I *really* like and respect your sig line quote!

Most Reactions