New baby conure...

Zeusconure2

Aug 9, 2017
Just picked up my new baby green cheek conure (10 weeks old), just curious as it's been about 4 days of having him and he seems really settled in, and when I'm sat next to the cage he climbs on to the front of the door as if he wants to come out with me but I haven't even tried getting him use to my hand yet, what does this mean ?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just picked up my new baby green cheek conure (10 weeks old), just curious as it's been about 4 days of having him and he seems really settled in, and when I'm sat next to the cage he climbs on to the front of the door as if he wants to come out with me but I haven't even tried getting him use to my hand yet, what does this mean ?

Likely means that 'he?' wants to come out. Who you purchased the Parrot from may have socialized 'him?' and your Parrot is ready to meet you one on one.

Sit very close to the cage door and open it. If your Parrot comes out, place you hand close to the cage and see if there is an interest in both coming out and stepping-up on your finger.

OP
Z

Zeusconure2

Aug 9, 2017
You say to let him to come to the cage door and see if he steps up, what if he flutters off? The wings have been clipped, is towelling him back to the cage best ?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You say to let him to come to the cage door and see if he steps up, what if he flutters off? The wings have been clipped, is towelling him back to the cage best ?

Much depends of the level in which your Parrot has been clipped! It is likely that no flight is possible or very little, possible a glide to the floor. At this point, you can try working with a perching branch or get down to your Parrots level and continual to try step-up. Toweling is more a last resort since it rarely improves the relationship.

The use of a treat may increase your Parrots interest in step-up.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yeah toweling is like a last resort when handling parrots. better to try a finger or fingers ( two together) or a perch first, and dont forget the treat!

OP
Z

Zeusconure2

Aug 9, 2017
Your right he just wanted to come out and sit on my arm! crazy because he's only been home 4 days and only 10ish weeks old ! ��

Most Reactions

Latest posts