Gaining trust and hand taming new bird

Zeusconure2

Aug 9, 2017
Was just curious as to go about gaining my conures trust and start hand taming it as I have had and read a lot of different and mixed views on how to do this, wether letting him out the cage on his own to explore the cage to start with and so on...?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Was just curious as to go about gaining my conures trust and start hand taming it as I have had and read a lot of different and mixed views on how to do this, wether letting him out the cage on his own to explore the cage to start with and so on...?

Who did you get this conure from? Did they not provide you any information beyond where to insert your credit card?

Do you in fact have this Parrot or are you still doing research?

I would take the time to dig around inside the many sub Forums as part of Parrot Forums.

Remember that the Parrot has no reason to trust you! You have to create a reason for this Parrot to trust you. Food helps, so does only good things happen when you are around.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family!

Much depends on variables in your situation. For instance, how old is this conure? Is he not hand tame at all, or just not used to you yet? How long have you had him?

Generally speaking, I prefer to build the trust gradually rather than necessarily forcing the issue with a bird who isn't quite comfortable with me yet. This trust building generally takes the form of shameless bribery with treats, spending bonding time with him, and training.

At first the bribery can be done through the bars of the cage, and then as his trust in you grows you can begin to lure him out. Just don't push too far, too fast.

Sitting by his cage and reading to him also helps with the trust as well. And target training, at first through the bars and then eventually you'll be able to target him anywhere.

It's all about patience and consistency.

Most Reactions

Latest posts