New Baby Eclectus - Quick Questions

maillet

Sep 22, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I finally was able to bring home my new Five Month old, Hand weaned, baby Male Volsmeris Eclectus. He has had a busy day with a number of unexpected visitors to the home today but overall has been so good.

He has eaten a lot. And has remained relatively quiet aside from a few gentle coos every now and then. He has been out of cage for several times throughout the day but I limited sessions to about 20 Minutes.

1. Sometimes when I move to "Step Up" he backs away, I return in 5 Minutes and he steps up. Whereas other times he simply refuses and even attempts to Nip my fingers slightly (harder than beaking, not bite).

2. When I covered his cage for first time tonight. He seemed a little bit confused and/or frightened. It was 10:00pm he was up at 6:00am. Do you think I should leave it uncovered or condition him with the cover?

This is the first parrot I have ever owned, but I have read a ton. I just would like some practical quick answers for whether both of these are normal. And particularily, if anyone has a "trick" for the step-up. I found placing food just out of reach so he had to use hand worked well today?

Thoughts?

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Firstly, congrats on your new baby. It sounds to me like he is just settling it, and he will need some time to adjust to his new surroundings. It will take a while for him to gain your trust and step up on command, but keep working on that. Just push your fingers or hands gently on his belly and say "Step Up".
I would say keep it up with the cover, without the cover he could see moving shadows or things in the dark that could scare him even more, he will adjust to it in a few days.

I would say this is all normal :)

OP
M

maillet

Sep 22, 2012
More or less what I figured. Thank you for your help on this regard.

My only other question is, he was being fed a fair bit of Seed when I picked him up. I have given him the same feed he was eating for today so that he was not to scared.

When should I begin to switch out for a 100% Fruit and Veggie diet? Is it fine if I do gradual transition from 50% down to like 5% over the next say week? How sensitive are they to this prolonged exposure. Pet store added the seeds in absence of normal food the breeder had been weaning off of (a heavier fruit and veggie diet). He was at the pet store for around week or two weeks.

The Mix Ingrediants: Seeds, cereals, deritives of vegetable origin, minerals, veretable protein extracts, oils and fats. There are some Red Peppers, Sunflower and Pumpkin Seeds, Weaties, Green and Brown (Pellets?), blueberries, and corn cernals. I also have been placing a tray with Strawberries, Kiwis, Carrots, and Lettice (will be adding Pinapple and Banana over the next couple of days as those new fruits ripon).

What are your thoughts on this current diet? I have 3 food trays (one for water), (one with the above mix), and one with fresh fruits and vegetables. I was hand feeding some warmed cooked veges as well.

Last edited:

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
I wouldn't rule out seeds 100%. I'll give you an example of how I feel my bird.

In the morning she gets a bowl of a few different fruits and veg. I try to add at least 5 different fruits & veg into her bowl. As a standard I give her corn and carrots every day. I will also add in things like apple, chillie, pomegranate, passion-fruit, orange/mandarins, mango, rockmelon, honeydew, cucumber, strawberries and anything along those lines. This is a fairly small bowl as I try to reduce the sugary fruits.

In the afternoon/evening (say around 5-6pm) I give her cooked vegies. I boil up some pumpkin as a daily thing (she loves it!) and green beans. I will also give things like broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, carrots, etc. Then before bed time I give her a very small bowl of seeds. I would say maybe a handful at most! This holds her off until the morning for new fruit/veg.

I wouldn't recommend giving your bird lettuce, it doesn't really have any nutritional value for them. You want to be giving dark leafy greens and red/orange things as they have the best vitamins that these guys need.

I would start offering the fruit and veg from tomorrow, and see how he likes it. Pomegranate is usually a BIG hit with eccy's so you should find he eats it right up, though be warned its a tad messy haha.

Prolonged exposure to an all seed diet can be horrible for these birds, but as he is only 5 months, I wouldn't think you have anything to worry about, as long as you get him onto a good healthy diet, he should be fine. :)

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Oh, sprouts as well. Try to offer sprouts. These are fantastic for birds, my bird isn't to keen on them and doesn't really touch them, but I still offer in the hopes that she will eat them.

You can sprout your own seeds quite easily!

Most Reactions