New Baby Worries

Pugtato

Sep 16, 2012
Kentucky
Parrots
Marty-Jardine's Parrot
Marty, our new Jardines baby is lovely and we think he was a fabulous addition to our "flock." However, I am down with a case of the new mom worries. Marty is a recently weaned baby who was eating solid foods at the shop, he is about 10 weeks old. I believe that he associates people with food, and subsequently see's us as a food source. Sooo, whenever we go to interact with him, hands on, he begins to loudly and constantly beg to be fed. This is making it a bit difficult to spend time with the little guy even after he chows down on his breakfast (he still begs). I see him actively eating, though he feels a bit skinny to me, and I wanted to know what you amazing, and experienced folks could tell me. How should I be reacting to his obnoxious begging?

He is quiet as a mouse in his cage, and only begins to beg when we go to interact with him directly. Talking to him once he is out with us seems to only worsen the begging, is this just me not giving him enough time to adjust? Should I simply ignore the begging altogether or try to refocus him (very difficult)? Should I interact with him more or less since we only got him a few days ago?

Help!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I couldn't help bug giggle when I read of your new baby woos. :54:

Marty will most likely continue making the begging sounds for several more weeks, until he has enough confidence in his ability to nourish himself. You see, it was easy for him to feel nice and full, when people fed him via syringe or spoon. Even though he is very well capable of eating on his own now, he's trying to see if you'll respond to his begging and feed him his formula.

All weaned babies initially lose some weight. Do you have a scale, so you can monitor him?

I swear, I thought my Sam was NEVER going to stop begging. He was still "gocking" 2 months after he was fully weaned as soon as he saw me....and now I miss the baby sounds. :eek:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Newly weaned babies are going to beg for a bit but it will pass. I ignore when the begging starts. Don't offer treats and such or you just prolonging it to go on. I once had a baby played me for 6 months, he was a stinker.....lol

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I agree with my colleagues. Just like human babies, they'll beg for food until it dawns on them that it hasn't worked for some time. Like Mikey said, do not give him anything when he does beg, or you'll just be reinforcing the begging.

JadeC

Apr 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Parrots
White bellied caique
My breeder said that new babies, even if they're weaned, still would welcome the comforts of formula. Instead of formula though, you can warm up some baby food and spoon feed it to him. Juvenile birds in the wild still get fed by their parents long after they're weaned. It's a comfort thing. It's up to you if you choose to try this or not, but I would since he's so newly weaned. After a few weeks I would start discouraging it like previously stated, but he's probably scared and the baby food might calm him down. Also, warm it up slightly so he gets that formula feel. Just warm enough, like baby formula, you don't wanna burn his crop. Good luck!! Let us know how it goes. :)

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
My Pippin was supposedly weaned when I got him...only he wasn't...so I had to be Mama for a while and feed him. He gradually learned to feed himself and no longer asks for food (unless I am eating sunflower seeds, LOL)

Most Reactions

Latest posts