snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
I almost bought this little Black capped Conure from petco today. This is the second time I have gone to see him. I feel like he wants to come home with us. He is shy when I put my hand in the cage. He does not freak out and will come on my hand if I wait.

This bird is from a "Bird mill" one reason I am not sure I should get him. He is not as tame as he should be. He seems to be really young. The price is $545 because it is a black capped not Green cheek. They seem like they are almost the same bird but anyways.

I found some Black capped conures from breeders online for cheaper. I would have to have it shipped and could not pick the bird that wanted me. Has anyone every ordered from a breeding and had the bird shipped? How did that work out for you?.

SO here is the little guy I took video.

He looks a bit aggressive at times too. Such mixed messages from this bird. I think he could just be frustrated. When I put my hand in the cage he is good not flighty like the other one. He will go on my hand is not aggressive. He is a little nippy but does not bite hard like one Green cheek I met today.

[ame="https://youtu.be/wIzyPm7kv8E"]Black cap - YouTube[/ame]

Don't mind me being a weirdo I was so confused I wanted him but was not sure if he was the one. Very torn over this bird. When I saw him for the first time yesterday he was not like this. It's like he remembers me. Not sure maybe I am just crazy.

[ame="https://youtu.be/gkJH_fn1xmw"]June 14, 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

Does that look like a bird that want to come home with us? I know what he is doing he is being cute and showing off. I don't like the idea of supporting petco selling birds that come from bird mills. I am so confused. at the same time If I don't get him he will be stuck there for months and months. The lady that helped me with the bird this time was a bit of a jerk. She had this attitude of just buy the bird already. I said this is a 20+ year commitment and a lot of money. I want to make sure it is the right bird. Then she was a little nicer to me. I did not like her.

Last edited:
OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
One more thing. My daughter really liked this bird and he seemed to like her a little too. Not scared of her she put her hand in the cage. She wanted to take him home. I said how he is so much more expensive then the normal Green cheek. She said "I have that $20 I got as a gift. I can give it to you to help pay for it. It would so be worth it." So cute...

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I cant tell you what is right for you to do as you have your own moral code to answer to and I have heard about Petco even though I live in Ireland so I understand your hessitancy and also your not wanting to support a breeding mill but the little guy does need a home and if it were me Id be melted by his pleading from inside that cage its like hes saying; " I'll be good I'll do tricks I'll be the cutest youve ever seen just please can I belong to your flock and go home with you " He has won my vote in those videos even knowing all you said I cant say; dont bring him home ...maybe I should but I cant :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
He has also won my vote! If you are willing to chance it, they will be dropping the price by a good 100 bucks after a bit. Talk to whoever is the bird person, not the manager, become fast friends!
Thing to watch for though, Petco moves birds around from store to store when they've been sitting for a bit too long!
You are who you are because of all of your life experiences, same thing for this little baby. So forget about the idea, or stigma of Bird mill!

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Thanks guys kind of haha.

Why did he have to be so fancy and expensive. I have the money but My husband is not that excited about getting a bird at all, let alone an over priced one. The green cheeks are on sale for $200. The first day I saw him he was labeled as a Green cheek. I should have bought him then when no one knew what he was. The next time I go the price is $545. I was so sad. Not that surprised because I knew he was not a normal green cheek. I was wishing they did not know and he came in labeled wrong.

I think I am going to get him tonight after work. I talk to my husband made a few deals. Like once our little older dog passes away I will not get another dog. The other part of the deal was he can go on surf trips to santa cruz any time he wants with out me being mad. Among a few other things.

I will try and talk to them about the price. Maybe I can talk them into a $100 off because they are doing that deal for the other green cheeks.... It's worth a shot. But I do already have a cage it's set up and ready...

Last edited:
OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
He has also won my vote! If you are willing to chance it, they will be dropping the price by a good 100 bucks after a bit. Talk to whoever is the bird person, not the manager, become fast friends!
Thing to watch for though, Petco moves birds around from store to store when they've been sitting for a bit too long!
You are who you are because of all of your life experiences, same thing for this little baby. So forget about the idea, or stigma of Bird mill!

I love that last part.
"You are who you are because of all of your life experiences, same thing for this little baby. So forget about the idea, or stigma of Bird mill!"

well said.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
I cant wait to hear that he is home and we get to see him here and hear all about "His Most Royal Cuteness" every day from now on...i hope you get a good deal on him. Congratulations on being Chosen as a Paront by your future Fid...Smart boy he knew a Great mom when he saw you and did his darnedest to get home with you :) Happy Days ahead :)

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
The suspence is killing me did little Cute Black Cap get to join your family...hope he did and that he is waking up to a brand new life and flock this morning :)

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Yes I got him last night. He is full of personality and Spunk. Very brave and confident. I am going to start a new post about nippy baby birds. We are still getting to know each other he is so new. His hatch date is 3-24-16 .

We took him out for a quick min this morning we can't help it. He wanted to come out. He is fun but needs training. He is really smart. He lives next to my 2 parakeets he looks at them like they are crazy. They are crazy in the morning.

Here is his morning face.

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congratulations :)! How exciting. Black Capped Conures are gorgeous, and this little guy is no exception! Any idea on names? Will you eventually get him sexed?

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
O I am so glad you got him he had his little heart set on having you and your daughter as his flock from the word go...he really put on a show for you guys in Petco and all but said Please take me home before you got him. Huge Congrats on your new family member I love him hes Gorgeous...ha ha he is a spirited boy for sure or maybe a spirited girl and you will have lots of fun with him. I love the pic...he looks right at home already in it...it will be lovely hearing all about how you guys bond and about all the mischief he is going to get up to. So so glad you brought him home :)

OP
snowflake311

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Congratulations :)! How exciting. Black Capped Conures are gorgeous, and this little guy is no exception! Any idea on names? Will you eventually get him sexed?

My daughter and I can not agree on a name. I hope we pick one tonight. We have Raven,gizmo, flit, nip,nipster, and a few others.

My daughter wants to get him sex. I don't really care but maybe down the road we will have it done. It's just not fun to have your bird poked just to find the sex. We might. I just have a feeling it's a boy. His personality is just so boyish. But who know could be a tomboy haha.

Thus morning he did seem to be right at home like he had been here for ever. No adjustment time needed .

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts