New bird out of cage time?

xStatic

May 10, 2017
Media
Montana, USA
Parrots
Shiro the budgie
Hi everyone!

I got my budgie Shiro on the 9th and we've been getting used to each other over the past few days. He is 1.5+ years old and was handled by his previous owners some so he's somewhat tame, but still a little nervous. He tends to be loud in the mornings and afternoons and I feel like it is because he wants to come out of his cage. I've been opening his cage and letting him climb out and then having him step up and bringing him over to a little perch I made for him out of small diameter pipe covered in vet wrap. He spends time on the perch while I'm on the computer or studying and I feed him greens and millet as he hangs out there. Sometimes he does fly off the perch and into the room but he lets me get him and bring him back to the perch to hang out again.

I'm just wondering if this routine sounds good and healthy for our bonding/taming time? I worry I'm sometimes pushing him a little too much but honestly if I don't bring him out of the cage for a little while every day he starts getting really loud and just seems to me to be restless.

Btw the room he's in is budgie-proof and safe. He's accustomed to the layout already and gets around easily. There's no chance of him getting out a window or door while I'm supervising.

Lacewing

Feb 16, 2017
USA
Parrots
Murphy Jr. English Budgie
Any time you spend with your budgie, especially one on one time is a bonding process. When I am coloring I let my budgies sit on shoulder for a while. That is about as close as you can get to them. Good luck with Shiro.

Most Reactions

Latest posts