new bird owner

mitzsandow

Dec 12, 2013
Hi. My name is Mitzi. I have been waiting for my goffin cockatoo since April this year ans she is finally flying down tomorrow. But.... my husband (not knowing about the goffin) bought aSolomon Islands Eclectus. Both are 10 weeks old. My concern is are they going to fight. What do I do to prevent it. Any help please. Thank you for all the post. It made it easy for me to join knowing that people do support and help.:confused:

YellowCitabria

Dec 6, 2013
Parrots
Peach face Lovebirds 'Sean & Silvia' (April 1995- Jul 2007)
Grey Cockatiel 'Pheonix' (Jun 1997-Nov 2013)
Meyers Parrot 'Kirby' (born Oct 2013)
Hi Mitzi,
First its recommended you quarantine the two. Some recommend 6 weeks, some recommend more. Dont want nasty bugs going between your two sweeties.

I once had my cockatiel and my cousins Senegal who was boarding over get together. One was 8 and the Senegal was 4 years old that time. My cousins Senegal was terribly aggressive and lunged at my cockatiel. I slowly introduced the two in the same large room in different corners (both caged). I decreased the cage distance every other day to their tolerable limits (to a distance where my cockatiel and the Senegal stopped hissing at each other). Eventually, the two greeted each other and mimicked each others move and kept each others company till my cousin came to pick his Senegal up. It may take time but it depends on their initial reactions to each other.

Julianna

Feb 4, 2013
Media
Olympia, WA
Parrots
Pippi, my white-bellied caique
Like YellowCitabria said, quarantine is a good idea. Many people keep different birds in the same household without trouble, so I wouldn't worry too much. You'll just have to make a few preparations, such as getting the two used to each other. They may be aggressive at first but once they get to know each other they will most likely become friends. :D Just be prepared to spend a lot of time with both birds to get them to like each other. Good luck and congrats on your new birds!

OP
mitzsandow

mitzsandow

Dec 12, 2013
Thanks guys. Very nervous but very excited. Both are still babies. My hikki is very calm wnd sweet. Will only c my goffin tomorrow

OP
mitzsandow

mitzsandow

Dec 12, 2013
Thank you. Just want to find out. Got my hikki at a petshop yesterday. Went to buy supplies for my goffin and got home with a friend (hopefully). It doesnt look like she is drinking any water. I had to give her some with a syringe. Is this because of thr new cage and environment. She asks for a lot of attention and doesn't want to be alone.

OP
mitzsandow

mitzsandow

Dec 12, 2013
Jewel my Solomon Islands Eclectus (ekki)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386935168350.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386935168350.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 117

Most Reactions

Latest posts