New budgie,give me tips

Murii

Feb 21, 2016
Romania,Arad
Parrots
Red rumped parrot named Paco
Hey! Today I bought a ~3months old male budgie.
I need to know the do and do not. The only thing that I'm interested about is making him eat from my hand and stay on my shoulder like Paco does(my male red rumped parrot). They share the same cage and are very calm to each other.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Congratulations on your new buddy. Please consider getting a seperate cage. I have keets and tiels. One day my tiel cracked my keets nare and beak very bad.

This was near bedtime when the keet was in the tiels cage.

Also as you are bonding with your new buddy you eont want Rupert hogging all the food

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congrats on your new buddy! He'll take a little time to settle into new surroundings. If he seems a bit skittish at first, back off and just talk softly to him, respect his space, give him ambient interaction by letting him watch you do things around the room. Don't be alarmed if his appetite and activity level is low at this time, he doesn't realize where he's just been moved to, and needs some adjustment time. Slowly, as he gets more comfortable, you can start introducing your hand with a bit of millet. If a bird takes food from you, he is starting to trust, and you can go from there with training.

I see that you didn't quarantine, which is important, as birds can harbor illnesses and diseases that aren't apparent outwardly. It's good practice to take a bird in for a new bird vet check at an avian vet for basic bloodwork at least.

It's best that you keep your new bird in his own cage, so consider buying one for your budgie. What is his name? Share photos when you have time!

OP
Murii

Murii

Feb 21, 2016
Romania,Arad
Parrots
Red rumped parrot named Paco
Thanks for the advices, I will post some pics as soon as possible :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts