New CAG -- abused

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Tui, a 3 year old rescued CAG.
I agree on the harness thing ;) Just thinking for the future. She doesnt let me scratch her head even lol. Today was the first time she let me pet her without biting me.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Oh boy it sounds like multiple issues here. As far as ants go vasoline works well. Check this out: safe way to stop ants from going in bird cages? | Bird Cage Supplies

If your birds breast bone is visable and you can feel it sticking out then yes she is not getting enough calories or the correct diet. She needs to increase her wt. How much does she weigh. You would be smart to get a gm scale to weigh her until she is the correct wt. http://www.birdscales.com/products/index.htm

Birds pass droppings about every 20 min. or so. You can potty train a bird but with all the other issues going on here I would prioitize.

Last edited:
OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Cool thanks! Shes 338 Grams. shes on a pelleted diet with some nuts and fruits/veggies.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Cool thanks! Shes 338 Grams. shes on a pelleted diet with some nuts and fruits/veggies.

Definately underweight, average for a CAG is 400-650 grams depending on the frame of the individual bird, in most cases you would feel for the keel bone and judge by the amount of surrounding tissue, but if you can actually see the keel bone protruding I'd say quite a bit underweight :31:

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Thats terrible! I feel so bad for her! Shes meowing right now lol. She does make this one really odd clicking noise when shes mad and is about to bite. Is that normal?

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Thats terrible! I feel so bad for her! Shes meowing right now lol. She does make this one really odd clicking noise when shes mad and is about to bite. Is that normal?

Don't know if you could say normal, but what you've just learned is a warning sign for your perticular bird, your bird will not always talk to you in a way you'll understand, but if you learn to read your birds body language and warning signs in relation to the actions its trying to convey to you, then you'll know how to best interact with him/her....in other words, a birds body language is their way of communicating with us :)

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Awesome thanks ;) Any suggestions on how to repaint her cage since its rusting?

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
I made friends a number of years ago with a guy that owns a auto collision repair shop after approaching him asking if he could sand blast and powder coat some cages for me, now he even advertises locally as a sideline part of his business, he uses non toxic paint in the powder coating process, you may see if there are any in your area that are willing to do the same, if your cage isnt one of an expensive type you may look into getting a new one, the cost for me to do mine was about $200-300 per cage, even if you find a non toxic spray can type of paint it probably won't stick to the cage well or last very long, sometimes just starting over and buying new makes better sense, you may also try looking on Craigs list, or Ebay classifieds for a good used cage to save some money, my last 2 cages were purchased of Craigs list and were like brand new for $100 a piece :)

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Mike (cowtown) just bought one online, you might try PM'ing him and asking where he got his for his Eclectus Abby, should be the same size for a CAG :)

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Thanks!!! p.s. is it just me or is the CAG or TAG icon missing from the list of birdie icons? lol

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Don't forget to check out the Avain Adventure cages at Petco.com. The cages are fantastic, free delivery and easily asembled. The price is excellent also. Here is a photo of the one I got for Rosie.

spiritbird-albums-rosie-picture521-rosies-palace.jpg

Last edited:
OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots

Attachments

• IMG00889.jpg
    IMG00889.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 187

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
I have one of these for Ms. Beak:

Prevue Hendryx Large Black Flight Bird Cage at PETCO

it has six small spring-close doors on the ends (three each end) that will need to be secured for a larger bird, but its spacious, and though I wouldn't trust the bars to stand up to a big Macaw or 'Too, I don't think a Grey could break them. And it's cheap! Quite an attractive cage actually.

Most Reactions

Latest posts