New CAG -- abused

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Tui, a 3 year old rescued CAG.
So I took Tui to the vet. The vet said she has some odd sores on her pelvic bones/pressure point areas and she didnt seem to think it was mites or self mutilation. She thought it was from sitting on something too much. Poor girl! She also has a deviated breast bone/sternum. She said this couldve happened from the egg.

Glad to know shes at least semi-healthy lol.

I do have a few questions. She really doesnt want me to pet her or scratch her head but I think if I work with her I can get her to be more cuddly. Any ideas/suggestions on the best ways? She LOVES pistachios so I use those as treats when shes good. She doenst seem to be getting the "no bite" and stare technique though.

Also, i have her cage on carpet (no area is available with hard flooring). How can I keep the area clean/easy cleanup? I was thinking a vinyl mat or something.

Hurricane

Sep 6, 2010
I think that you need to be very patient with her. If I were her it would take me a very long time to trust another human.

And what do you mean by the no bite and stare technique? When Sev bites me he immediately goes back to his cage and gets a time out. He is usually much more civilized after I ignore him for about ten minutes, and if he isn't then he doesn't come back out and was most likely telling me that he didn't want to be.

I like to use the mats that they sell to put under computer chairs that are on carpet areas so that they roll better. I also have had luck with purchasing scrap pieces of laminate flooring from a carpet warehouse for peanuts. Really, though, I worry about the walls. haha:11:

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Basically I have been telling her no and looking into her eyes then putting her back in her cage. I really want to train her not to bite me. Im giving her treats the closer she lets me come.

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
I know that I havent had her long, but I really do want to start working with her. Shes REALLY bitey and its difficult for me even to feed her sometimes. Please help! Looked up touch and clicker training, looks good?

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
UPDATE with TUI: I think shes a HE! lol. I did the visual sexing and she doesnt have grey tipped red feathers.
Anywho! All of her feathers have grown out, she no longer has any sores, shes gained some weight, and shes a TALKER! Lovessss to chit chat :D She also has decided she loves me and tries to regurgitate on me all of the time! bought her a new macaw sized cage the other day and she LOVES it! Hanging upside down all of the time. Her new toys were hand-made by a local bird toy maker and they are absolutely fabulous and inexpensive! I can give you here name if you want.

Any ideas where I can get some great large perches for not too much $$?

Shes also still biting quite a bit. Maybe its just beaking but she doesnt want to be scratched or pet at all. Any suggestions?

This is the website the following is from: www.exoticpetvet.net -- I did not write this or take the pictures.
Visual Sexing African Greys

Most African parrots can be easily sexed after they have molted once. While it is not advisable to determine the sex visually for breeder pairs, identifying the sex of a pet for an owner (without DNA sexing or surgical sexing) will make owners happy. African grey parrots (Psittacus erithacus erithacus) are usually easy to sex. Males have a solid red tail on the underside (the secondary retrices), while those of the hen are tipped in silver. While examining proven pairs, this has proven to be accurate in over 95% of the pairs. Also, with male greys, the underside of the wings is very dark, while those of the hen are lighter grey. This only holds true for the nominate species, and not for the Timneh grey (P. e. timneh).
Males

Females

male228.jpg
female223.jpg
Close Ups:
mclose1.jpg
fclose1.jpg
male230.jpg
female278.jpg
Close Ups:
mclose2.jpg
fclose2.jpg
Cadeusus.gif

Copyright © 2006 Margaret A. Wissman, D.V.M., D.A.B.V.P.
All Rights Reserved
ExoticPetVet.net
www.exoticpetvet.net

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Its working out! I just really want her to let me touch her. Any suggestions? Shes a biter/beaker.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
There are many advocates of clicker and target training, but I think most creatures have a yellow brick road to their hearts that runs through their stomachs.

Their favorite treat just out of reach unless they step up is always a good incentive.:D

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
heres a video of Tui chatting it up! :) [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=0Kf1AKky-oA]YouTube - VIDEO0003[/ame]

Cant figure out how to change the orientation of the video :(

Video 2 on its way!

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Video 2! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQdLDtyu8gs]YouTube - Tui Loves to chat! :) Video 2[/ame]

Most Reactions

Latest posts