New Cage Thread

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Lukah- Sun Conure, 10 months old!
Hi guys! So the other one was getting way too long for my itouch to handle haha but I think I found a pretty good cage for Lukah. Just want last minute opinions and approvals and disapprovals!

It is an A&E cage with a stand. It is 4' 8" tall with the stand and has a living space inside of 22.5" (L) x 17" (W) x 30" (H)

Is this a suitable living size for my Lukah? :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you could go larger, I'd definitely recommend to do so! If not, it would do.

Found one cage going for a steal of a deal! I don't know what the bar spacing is, though...
Parrot Cage, Bird Cage

Looking around, I see some other cages that might be worth looking into....
Bird Cage
COCKATIEL/SMALL PARROT BIRD CAGE - Powder Coated
bird cage
birdcage / A&E Flight Cage - Small birds/parrots (flight cages...)
Bird Cage and Perch
Very Nice Parrot Cage

Wow.... a lot of bird stuff in your area!!!! Kind of jealous actually.... my area is kind of sad when it comes to birds and bird related items!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Although that will work, I would also advice in something bigger! :)

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
@Monica- I know! I'm just too late for most of them. I already emailed and called a lot of them yesterday and the cages are gone ):

I've fallen in love with this one
New Large Parrot Bird Wrought Iron Cage 28x20x60 Dome-Top *Black Vein* |

Which is hilarious because one of the ones you found (that I somehow skipped in my 3 hours of searching and contacting last night) Very Nice Parrot Cage
is I'm pretty sure the same cage in white. I contacted them. Fingers crossed!

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
@Monica- I know! I'm just too late for most of them. I already emailed and called a lot of them yesterday and the cages are gone ):

I've fallen in love with this one
New Large Parrot Bird Wrought Iron Cage 28x20x60 Dome-Top *Black Vein* |

Which is hilarious because one of the ones you found (that I somehow skipped in my 3 hours of searching and contacting last night) Very Nice Parrot Cage
is I'm pretty sure the same cage in white. I contacted them. Fingers crossed!

That's a nice cage!

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
They still have it! Guys I'm so excited! I could only find the cage for 200-400 online and I was about to just wait and save up and get that one no matter what came along because I like the way it looks and the size.

I am going to try to get it from them tonight! Its the perfect size. Not too big and not too small:)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I don't know what the cage dimensions are (I'm still one to recommend bigger! :rolleyes: ), but it looked big enough for a sun conure! So I definitely think it'll work for you and your situation! So glad it's still available, too! -boogies-:bunny7:

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
I don't know what the cage dimensions are (I'm still one to recommend bigger! :rolleyes: ), but it looked big enough for a sun conure! So I definitely think it'll work for you and your situation! So glad it's still available, too! -boogies-:bunny7:

It's 20 x 28 x 40 (actual cage size not including seed catcher or stand or anything!) It should be perfect. :) My apartment can't fit much bigger than that! haha

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Shoot guys, I might have messed up. The bar spacing on the cage is 1". Is that too wide?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Yes and no.

It *can* work out, as I know people who keep sun conures in macaw cages..... but I can't say that it will work out for Lukah. :(

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Okay so just kidding. I re-measured and the bars a thick, so I measured wrong. They are actually about 3/4" the space inbetween. And then there is one part that is bent so that part is about 1.25" but I can easily put something over it like a washer or plexiglass. And then at the top there is two bars that are about 1". His current cage has just under 3/4" spacing and he's never come close to getting his head through.. though I always feel he's small for a sun conure... Even though I don't really know what size conures typically are in comparison! haha

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
What should I do? Just put him into it and see if he tries to get his head through and comes anywhere close to succeeding? Or should I not attempt it?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
You can only try it and see if he remains safe. 3/4 should be fine for a sun. Just be careful of any larger than that.

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Put him in a few hours ago before bed and he seemed to love it! So much space :) He didn't even try to fit his head through any of the bars, but he definitely wouldn't be able to get through the ones that are 3/4" but he might be able to get through the 1". I can't tell though because he's never been big for trying to get out of his cage. It's open a lot of the time and often even when it's open he'd rather stay inside it haha I will post pictures soon. I love it! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm glad everything is working well for you so far!!!! :)

Most Reactions