Green Cheek Conure: Normal or Blue?

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Hello! So I am currently hand-raising 4 baby Green Cheek Conures. The eldest one whom I've decided to keep has the normal colourings: maroon tail, slightly blue-tinged green body etc. However behind it's head along the back of it's neck, there is a very visible strip of VERY blue feathers.

Would this baby be considered Normal, or Turquoise/Blue? It's parents both carry blue, if that helps. (Can link a photo is need be?)

The 2nd eldest GCC is a hi-red yellowsided.
The 3rd is yellowsided.
Youngest is completely normal, no blue.

Do Hi-reds costs more than the average yellowsided?

I appreciate your input! :D

~Kinny

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Pictures would help...

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Most normal gcc's do have the blue on the back of the neck. I do have a breeder that is split to turquoise that seems to have more blue than normal on his neck however I don't consider him to be anything other than a normal. As far as high red yellowsides or pineapples, yes some people do charge more for them. I do not as my babies are usually very red. I would love to see pictures perhaps we could tell more about the color that way. I would also like to see pictures of your high red yellowside. I just bought another breeder pair last weekend, the female is a very red pineapple and the male a very, very high red yellowside. They are still young however I look forward to seeing their future babies!

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Ahhh. Here is the one i, until now, considered Turquoise. My apologies the colours aren't quite right, the camera flash destroyed them. -_-

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTI1WDcwMA==/$T2eC16RHJF8FFpwGuhEyBSFueR!mmg~~48_20.JPG

And here is the hi-red yellowsided.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTI1WDcwMA==/$(KGrHqNHJBMFICpGV(B6BSFueK!iew~~48_20.JPG

These photos were taken yesterday, and oh goodness how much redder the yellowsided has become in just one day! It's entire front is just pure red... They are only 5.5 weeks old.

Awww I bet you can't wait! :D There's nothing more exciting than seeing what colours your pairs produce!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Not all green cheeks have blue on their necks, in fact, many don't.

There are different subspecies of green cheek conures, so the amount of blue, red, yellow, white/grey and even green varies. They also vary in size.

green cheeked

Unfortunately, here in America we have probably hybridized all the subspecies together and, as such, birds can vary between all the subspecies or take after one more so than the other.

Most Reactions

Latest posts