New Green Cheek owner, need help! :)

CrissyH

Aug 10, 2012
Stockbridge, GA
Parrots
Marley a Red Fronted Macaw
I adopted a beautiful boy on Wednesday (2 days ago). He is between 3-4 years old. The girl I got him from seemed to be very good with him, although his cage was a bit messy. She worked and was gone most of the day. She has 2 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and an iguana. When I got him home, he was SO sweet and cuddly. He never tried to bite, he let me hold him and cuddle with him. The next day he was very well behaved. He was out most of the day with me and my youngest son (he's 3). Boomer was soo sweet with my son, he played with him and was so sweet. Then that afternoon, his personality did a 360! He started biting me, and then went to full on attack mode! He will go to my boys, even the 3 year old with no aggression at all, although I haven't allowed him many chances as I don't want him to bite him. When he first started biting I was sitting in the bed and he was up here with me, he crawled up my shirt and bit my lip and drew blood!! After that it went straight down hill... He draws blood every time I try to hold/touch him! He even attacks his cage when I come over to talk to him. :( I really would LOVE for someone to explain his behavior so I can correct it properly! I love him already and hope that this can be corrected. I researched and read everything I could find on this issue. I tried doing the step up thing but my hands look like I put them in a food processor :( So finally I put thick socks on my hands and made him step up (he still attacked the socks) and when he would bite I would put him in the floor. I think maybe he just needs more time to adjust? But how do I get him adjusted?? Should he stay in his cage for a while? He keeps saying "step up" in his cage and it breaks my heart :( I want him to be able to be out with me all day! :green2:

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Everything is new to him. Also, green cheeks are like that. They are bi polar LOL
You probably reacted when he bit you which is understandable but they feed on that. I have had my green cheek since a baby and he still goes thru nippy phases. WHen he does I put him in his cage for time out. 15 minutes later he is a lot better. Talk softly to him. I would get his wings clipped if they aren't, that seems to have a humbling effect at least for mine. Not a severe clip but a clip. He will go thru these phases and the other person probably knew how to handle it. Watch his body language and if you see a bite coming leave him alone. They love to be involved in everything you do, so he will want to be with you. Sometimes just ignoring him works great and he will come to you. Try not to react loudly when he bites. You will learn his body language after a while. Don't reach inside his cage, they are territorial and that is their turf. Actually they consider your turf their turf as well. Just go easy and both you and he will learn each other's ways.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Also, when getting him to step up. Have him step up on a stick, or perch or something else and they usually step off that better on to your finger.

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
i agree with dishgal on all of the above. i couldn't get our boy to step up onto anything our fingers, a perch, etc. i heard wooden spoons work well, i bought one and literally within three days of treat training him to step up on the wooden stick, i switched out the stick for my finger and now he'll step up everytime, and onto my finger! :) be patient, they will come around, eventually :D

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
Its all new to the birdie, my sun was an angel for a couple days, although any bird does this. Then your little angel turns. The birdie is scared. Don't use a sock or glove this can scare a bird as the other stated a wooden perch or dowel is best. Try not to let him bite and if he does try your hardest not to react and don't pull away push into the bite. Conures are clownish and a reaction from a bite is funny to them a reaction can make a bite turn into a habit. Also conures can get cage aggressive as dishgal said that his cage and his stuff. DOn't reach in with your finger/ bare hand use a dowel until he is used to his new home and this can take months he has to learn to trust you. If he bites the dowel turn away and try again later eventually he will step up when he wants out of the cage. I don't think but a few minutes is needed I used to just walk away and do something & 5 minutes and come back a couple times a day..If you wait to long the bird will forget why you left.

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlet (Kiwi) and a Pineapple Conure (Widget)
I agree with what the posters above me have said... it's hard not to flinch or pull away when they bite you, but if you let them know that biting you gets a reaction, they're gonna keep doing it. My neighbor has a Nanday that absolutely hates her 4 year old daughter and tries to bite her every chance he gets. They have training sessions where they sit down next to one another and whenever he runs over to try to bite her, she feeds him treats. It's worked wonders for their relationship.

OP
C

CrissyH

Aug 10, 2012
Stockbridge, GA
Parrots
Thanks SO much for your suggestions! Is it normal for them to draw blood when they bite... like to the point he doesn't want to let go? :( Should I just get him out and let him do his thing? He does need to be clipped. It's funny that you said that because he flew from my bed to the settee and shortly after he started this... not sure if it has anything to do with it. The previous owner told me he loved candy, I am a little leery to give him that, but I found some candy coated sunflower seeds at Petsmart. He only takes the candy because he is trying to bite my fingers then he throws it down : / She was feeding him a seed diet, I think she said it was parakeet food. Everything I read said a pellet based diet is best so I got him a different food, one for parrots and conures. It looks like little crisps and it's made by Kaytee. I wasn't sure if I needed to mix the old with the new so he could get used to it so I figured I would be safe to just do that. So now he is proceeding to toss every one of the crisps out of his bowl LOL *sigh

Kiwidget

Jan 20, 2012
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlet (Kiwi) and a Pineapple Conure (Widget)
Widget went through his first psycho biting phase not too long ago, clipping his wings was absolutely necessary. He would bite holes in my lamp shades, and when I tried to get him to put him in time out, he would just fly around the house in circles, making me chase him. I was not even about to put up with that crap, so I clipped him... it really does help.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Thanks SO much for your suggestions! Is it normal for them to draw blood when they bite... like to the point he doesn't want to let go? :( Should I just get him out and let him do his thing? He does need to be clipped. It's funny that you said that because he flew from my bed to the settee and shortly after he started this... not sure if it has anything to do with it. The previous owner told me he loved candy, I am a little leery to give him that, but I found some candy coated sunflower seeds at Petsmart. He only takes the candy because he is trying to bite my fingers then he throws it down : / She was feeding him a seed diet, I think she said it was parakeet food. Everything I read said a pellet based diet is best so I got him a different food, one for parrots and conures. It looks like little crisps and it's made by Kaytee. I wasn't sure if I needed to mix the old with the new so he could get used to it so I figured I would be safe to just do that. So now he is proceeding to toss every one of the crisps out of his bowl LOL *sigh
He needs a variety of fresh foods some seed and pellets. My bird is mainly on 60 % fresh foods 20% pellets and 20% seeds. If you don't feed any veggies and fruits then he should be strictly on pellets with very few seeds. It will be a hard transition for him to pellets and you have to make sure he eats. So don't try to do it all at once. When I got my Sun he was on pellets and seeds. No fresh foods, Now he is finally eating corn, mango, apple, and green peas. Hopefully he will start eating more veggies.
Bringing blood....YES they can bite and not want to let go however when you learn the body language that will very rarely happen. If they are agitated DON't ask for a kiss. LOL...........when they are calm, and you will learn the difference. THINGS WILL GET BETTER OVER TIME.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
I say avoid the bite and try to work on ways to reward rather than punish. Trying to discipline my GCC has only ever led to the biting phase being more prolonged. Also, try to move slowly around him.

grantgrace

Aug 10, 2012
Ohio :(
Parrots
Blue Crown Conure 12-25 ?
And a 5 mo old mourning dove
Hello, I have a 12 yr + Blue Crown, I say + because the other owner told me that was his age, vet says prob. more towards 20's, but Mackie was very much a biter (still is but not as much or as hard) He was would protest coming out screaming and biting, we tried lots of different things, I am finding this works very well,.. I make sure I am lower than him, He has a playtop on his cage, Ill sit beside him in a chair and talk to him , I keep my head lowered and glance up at him often and look back down, this is inviting and submissive and seems to make him less afraid, I dont know if it will work for others but its the best approach for us so far, he likes to ride around on my chest with his down on my chest I keep one hand on his back if I take off my hand he bites my chest...owww ...ive tried to get him on my arm but he fights to get back on my chest..lol..so thats how he stays...Hes really a sweetie, but I have chewed up arms and hands that say different. He is making great progress, he wasnt ever taken out of his cage and lived with an elderly lady for well at least 12 years of his life, our house is not quiet I have 2 kids and three dogs, (sweet dogs) but hes constantly looking around..it doesnt really seem to bother him, hes starting to make all kinds of noises and interact, He throws a fit when we walk in or out of the house, I keep a cage upstairs and downstairs for him, I put him in the shower with me as well. I just keep him very involved. I took him shopping yesterday and he seemed to be okay with that too...sorry...I rambled :)

OP
C

CrissyH

Aug 10, 2012
Stockbridge, GA
Parrots
He needs a variety of fresh foods some seed and pellets. My bird is mainly on 60 % fresh foods 20% pellets and 20% seeds. If you don't feed any veggies and fruits then he should be strictly on pellets with very few seeds. It will be a hard transition for him to pellets and you have to make sure he eats. So don't try to do it all at once. When I got my Sun he was on pellets and seeds. No fresh foods, Now he is finally eating corn, mango, apple, and green peas. Hopefully he will start eating more veggies.
Bringing blood....YES they can bite and not want to let go however when you learn the body language that will very rarely happen. If they are agitated DON't ask for a kiss. LOL...........when they are calm, and you will learn the difference. THINGS WILL GET BETTER OVER TIME.
Thank you for telling me it gets better and that the "blood bath" won't happen often! I was so worried! Hopefully with a lot of time (and band aids)! LOL

OP
C

CrissyH

Aug 10, 2012
Stockbridge, GA
Parrots
I want him to be very much a part of everything I do. I am home all the time so I have the opportunity to do that. I hopefully things will get better with time.

The_Big_Sleep

Aug 9, 2012
The Woods, Somewhere, USA
Parrots
Wilson the Green Cheek!
I'm a novice at this so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I've found that there are certain times of day where my little GCC will be more prone to grouchiness and identifying good/bad times to handle your bird may help your cause.

My GCC gets covered at the same time every night and tends to get grouchier as it gets closer to bedtime (we all get moody when we're tired!). Conversely, when I first take the cover off every morning he's ecstatic to see me and is all peaches & cream and handling him is a breeze.

He also gets grouchy if he's hungry - I use fresh fruit to bribe him from time to time, but generally speaking if he has a full stomach he's much easier to be around.

Again I'm no expert, but my research has indicated that the position of the cage can lead to personality shifts. Where is his cage located in regard to your eye level? My understanding is if the cage is too high he'll think he's above you on the pecking order and will treat you as such - and if the cage is too low it'll freak him out and he'll act defensively. Once the cage is at a happy medium hopefully he'll feel better!

That's all I've got, hope it works out for you! Hang in there!!

OP
C

CrissyH

Aug 10, 2012
Stockbridge, GA
Parrots
His cage is on wheels but I wouldn't consider it eye level, although he might :) I have him in our bedroom in front of a window which I open the blinds so he can see out (the bedroom is on the second floor so nothing bothers him through the window). I am going to get a variety of fresh fresh fruit this afternoon. I tried him on bananas and celery but that was a no go LOL, so right now I have been trying to bribe him with fruit loops since he seems to LOVE those. I bought him "bird treats" from petsmart and he will have none of that. I think he is a junk food junkie! The first night I brought him home my husband came in the room with come kettle chips and he got ALL excited :)

OP
C

CrissyH

Aug 10, 2012
Stockbridge, GA
Parrots
Ok so, I was using socks to get him to step up because I am now pretty scared to take another bite :( And apparently I have created a whole new issue because now he is taking his aggression out on all my laundry :/ He will not step up for me at all, if he is on my son or on the bed and I get a perch to get him to step up he attacks the perch UGH! and I have tried the "earthquake" thing and shaking my hand SLIGHTLY when he goes to bite... apparently at some point he belonged to a rodeo star because he can hold on for WAY over 8 seconds.... Any ideas on getting over the fear I have of letting him step up on my actual finger? My son (10) can go right up there to the cage, open it up, get him out, scratch and cuddle him. So this isn't as much as aggression problem as it is him not liking me right? Go figure LOL:green2:

sprout

Jul 23, 2012
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Parrots
Sun conure Squeak
Blue crown conure coming soon
He also probably needs more time. It has only been 2 days and he is also needs to get used to a new home. Have you looked into clicker training? My new sun conure doesn't attack us - but he does bite when I try to get him to step up. I started using a clicker with him a few days ago and there has been a very positive change with him. I also lowered his cage - took it off it's stand and that made a difference since he was above me when on top of his cage.

OP
C

CrissyH

Aug 10, 2012
Stockbridge, GA
Parrots
So during this period of him getting used to his new surroundings, should I allow him out of his cage or just talk to him through the cage for a few days. If I just leave the door open he lunges for me and earlier took a chunk out of the side of my neck :(

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck's behavior was similar. When I met him, he was amazing, but for a period of time after that he didn't want to be handled, didn't want to be alone, and bit a lot. After a while, he warmed back up, and he was an awesome bird.

You have to learn to pay attention to body language, which will tell you just about everything.

Most Reactions

Latest posts