New Here? Whats My Parrot's Breed?

ParrotBlue

Aug 3, 2014

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
I think its a female Indian ringneck parakeet! Very cute too! Its a female because it has no ring or its a very young male.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I agree..indian ringneck..of course I'm no expert. Where did you get it that they did not know the breed/species? Do you know how old it is suppose to be or any other info? You will find all kinds of help on this forum! Congrats on your new bird...she's very pretty!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
She is quite beautiful! Did someone give her to you?
Is that her cage she is in in the pictures, or just a travel cage?

OP
P

ParrotBlue

Aug 3, 2014
thank you? and what ring are you talking about?

how would i tell if she's a Indian Ring Neck or African Ring Neck?

s/he was a gift and that was the Travel Cage she came in...

i don't know anything about her since she was a gift :(

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It's an Indian Ringneck. Africans are more rarely seen, and they have a blackish plum color beak. They're smaller, but in this case nothing to compare to.

Also when referring to the kind of parrot, it's "species" not "breed".
Breed is said when referring to domestic animals such as dogs or farm animals who are technically all the same animal (species), just different varieties which we call breeds. Wild parrot types are all genetically different species. :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hi there, welcome to the Forum! Very nice gift but a little confusing. It's not often someone gives away a bird they know nothing about. If we knew more about your bird we would be better able to help you. If you will go to our Indian Ringneck sub forum and read the posts and view the photos that will be a good place to start.

Indian Ringnecks - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

Do you know the basics of bird care, household dangers, cage and set-up, diet and health? Not trying to make you uncomfortable. We really want to help but we need to know where to start. :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Welcome! You have come to the right place. Parrots are very complicated pets, so it is good you found us so that we can help you! She needs a much bigger cage, lots of toys (especially ones made out of wood! ) She looks like a female Indian Ringneck Parakeet, so start googling all the info you can find on them! If later she gets a black ring around her neck, you will know she is actually a young male.

What does she eat? Many parrots are on seed diets, but they need lots of fresh veggies and some fruits, and it would be good to transition her to a pellet diet.

Where are you located? It is also important to find an Avian Vet near you right away, in case something happens. Indian Ringnecks are commonly abbreviated here, IRN, so if you see that, we are talking about a bird like yours!

It can all be really overwhelming, but we were all new at this once, and we would love to help you get to know your new bird!

OP
P

ParrotBlue

Aug 3, 2014
how old do you guys think she is?

ok thank you everyone for the nice information :)

i am going to get more pictures and write more information about
her as i learn more about her since she is very new soon :)

i will get her a new cage this was the cage i got when i first got her...

can you guys give me more information on Indian Ringnecks and Who has
a Indian ringneck here?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Try to get her a cage that she can fly across. I have 2 IRNs, but they are fairly new to me, so I am still learning a LOT. The best thing you can do is google, so that you get the basic information, and then ask specific questions here. One thing I can tell you is that an all-seed diet is not good for her, so it would be best to switch her to a pellet or fresh diet right away. You have to do it carefully though, because some birds do not recognize fresh food or pellets as food, and may starve to death if you are not careful.

It is impossible to tell the age of your bird from the pictures, as far as I know.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
It will probably be a while, but a lot of that depends on you. Spend time reading about how to tame them. Spend a lot of time near her, being quiet and not threatening. Move very slowly. In a few days, try offering her favorite food from your hands, but to not be upset if she is afraid, just back off. Gradually move your hands closer to her, but only when she is relaxed, etc.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I dont really think so, you would have to talk to someone who knows more than I do about that.

LoriP

Jul 18, 2009
Honduras
Parrots
White Cap Pionus "Snoopy"
Also when referring to the kind of parrot, it's "species" not "breed".
Breed is said when referring to domestic animals such as dogs or farm animals who are technically all the same animal (species), just different varieties which we call breeds. Wild parrot types are all genetically different species. :)

Which brings up a question I have had. How do you designate the different "types" of, e.g., Pionus or Amazon parrots? (I assume "Pionus" and "Amazon" would be the species? Or am I even more confused than I realized?) :confused:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Lori, to get a good understanding of the answer to your question, you need to have a basic understanding of the scientific classification of all life on the planet, but as a short answer, our feathered friends were classified, primarily by the shape of their beaks, them by the similarities one specie may have to another, then by where they live & how they might be related to another similar specie, looking for a separate or subspecies.....

Some of the key words you might want to learn and/or learn about are:

KINGDOM – “Animalia” (animal). The “kingdom” includes all living organisms: animal, plant, fungi, bacteria (single-celled organisms without a nucleus) and protists (single-celled organisms with a nucleus).

PHYLUM – “Chordata“. Phylum furthers categorizes the ranking of those in the animal kingdom. The group “chordata” includes all vertabrate animals (those with spinal chords). In the animal kingdom there are 36 animal phyla.

CLASS – “Aves“. The aves group includes only birds and indicates that its members have feathers.

ORDER – “Psittaciformes“. Refers specifically to parrots.

FAMILY – “Cacatuidae“. This group includes ALL cockatoos – including the cockatiel.

SUB FAMILY – “Cacatuinae”. This category refers specifically to the white cockatoos.

GENUS – “Cacatua“. The genus refers to a group of birds that have certain defining characteristics in common.

SPECIES – “goffini“. Finally we arrive at the one and only goffins cockatoo – totally unique unto itself. In order to point to the exact classification of this species, you need only two words: cacatua goffini – its “scientific name”.

SUBSPECIES – none. Some parrots, the lesser sulphur crested cockatoos, for instance, evolve ever so slightly differently. They may fall into all of the same above categories, but one may be slightly larger or have pale cheek patches that make it still more unique. They would be further classified by way of subspecies.

Here are several links you might be interested in:

The Taxonomy and Classification of Parrots | Peggy's Parrot Place

ADW: Psittacidae: CLASSIFICATION

Parrot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bird Classifications - Birds.com: Online Birds Guide with Facts, Articles, Videos, and Photos

Hope that helps answer your question.....

porthos

Aug 5, 2014
Devon
Parrots
Ivor (TAG), Alfie and Elvy (CAGS), Caesar (Crimson bellied conure). Jimmie (Senegal) Chilli (Jenday conure)
Hi, you have a beautiful bird on your hands, the males get a black ring around their necks when they mature, they can revert back to being wild even if they are hand reared if they don't receive regular handling so keep giving her cuddles!!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Also I was looking at the pictures and I thought I would give some tips:

-She needs a new cage ASAP. It needs to be AT LEAST big enough that she can stretch her wings out all the way and flap really hard without hitting the bars. It looks like her wings are clipped, so add at least 6 inches on each side.

-She needs new perches. Wooden ones from trees, not dowels, and not plastic. The ones in her cage right now are way too small - you want ones that her nails hit, not ones where her feet wrap all the way around. Also, you should make sure she has at least 3 sized of perch.

- Her perches need to be high enough in her cage that her tail does not touch the cage in any way when she is sitting on them - laying them on the ground is going to ruin her tail, pinch her toes, and in general not letter he feel secure.

Good luck!

Most Reactions