OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Hawkhead Parrot, Maverick
I am almost embarrassed to ask this, after living with amazons for so long. However, I haven't quite experienced this kind of aggressiveness so young. So I'd like to see if maybe I am doing something wrong?

I get bitten really good by Mavrerick on a daily basis. I don't make a fuss about it, even though it is hard, as it hurts A LOT. I also stand my ground with it, and will put him down until calms down, without leaving the room. He then will be all sweet like nothing happened. Mopar was the complete opposite as a baby. He never tried to bite, and still hasn't to this day. My other Amazon went through a phase of testing me, but it didn't last long once she knew it wasn't going to affect me. I only really got nailed by her a few times.

Now I am trying to figure it out, so that I am not accidentally reinforcing the biting. Does he not like Mopar? Is there something else spooking him? Is it still just an adjustment peroid? Am I just paranoid? lol! I do recall reading something about how there's a phase the babies go through somewhere around 6-18 months where they are spooked very easily. But then is subsides. Is there some truth to this? I'm just not used to dealing with aggressive babies. So it's kinda strange to me.

Other than that, he is taking his medicine well. Now he seems to like it. (It is fruit flavored). And when he is being nice, he's super nice and hilarious!

Thanks for any insight on this!

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Wow Marybeth, GREAT Pics !!

Here You Go
emoticon-object-086.gif

Marybeth1.jpg

Marybeth2.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/nTDXdoXm7Hw"]Marybeth's Hawk Head Parrot Crest in Slow Motion - YouTube[/ame]

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
LOL!!! LOVE IT!! :) I have gotten the crest to come up several times. He REALLY enjoys the scritches.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm so sorry to hear that Mary Beth! However, in reading bird articles, I have come across many times about Hawkhead aggressiveness and striking out. I think they're probably one of the species where it's mainly the males, since your Kimi, Terry's (Terry57), and Terri's (pinkbirdy), are all females and seem more gentle.

I'd say, just continue to research by finding what info you can, and maybe calling a breeder who specializes in Hawkheads, and see if they're willing to talk to you about their unique personality and give you some tips? It does sound like real biting, not beaking. Some surprisingly young juveniles of the more assertive species 'can' bite aggressively from a young age. I don't know if it would subside after he gets a bit older, or if it will just become more of a habit? As cuddly and funny as Hawkies are, I've heard this is part of their nature to some extent. I think also they, like Amazons tend to get overstimulated which leads to bites.

Meanwhile, I'd just keep standing your ground like you are, and reading (juvenile) biting advice from searching the forum?

If he gets overstimulated, put him down like you do. But if he does it when not excited, why not give this a try... holding your finger out of reach near the top of the beak and firmly say "no biting" or whatever word you choose. Trust me, he'll get what it means... But whether he complies or not might depend on his reason or how stubborn he is about trying you, but at least he will know what that finger held up and 'no biting" means. Good luck with the little rascal :)

Edit: Awesome pics Joe!! I saw it after I posted this. Precious :)

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Overstimulation could be a culprit. This guy is an intense ball of energy! When I have him out. He climbs up one arm, hangs from my shirt, then goes through the hair, down the other arm. Hang upside down from the finger before back to rolling around in your hand trying to play with a tshirt sleeve. It's pretty wild, actually! And when he wants to be on you, he will get to you. He even flies to me. So, maybe that is part of it. Lol!
Non stop!

I may just have to reach out to someone who does specialize in hawkheads if it doesn't subside some. I will keep trying to discourage the bites as best a possible. Thanks for the suggestion, too!

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
I. Am. In. Trouble. <3

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
as in... this bird knows how to steal your heart right way. :) So yea, I am in trouble. LOL!

Although he can be a little stinker at times, it's these moments that just make it all worthwhile.

I have noticed that he tends to mellow out as the day goes on. I've had him out a few times this afternoon and evening and he was pleasant as can be.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
as in... this bird knows how to steal your heart right way. :) So yea, I am in trouble. LOL!

Although he can be a little stinker at times, it's these moments that just make it all worthwhile.

I have noticed that he tends to mellow out as the day goes on. I've had him out a few times this afternoon and evening and he was pleasant as can be.

OH, The good kind of trouble LOL!!

Glad to hear he is mellowing out, I'm sure as you handle him everyday he will realize its much nicer than being in his cage, as a matter of fact I would put him back in his cage for 5 mins if he bit me and try again

More pics are always nice :)

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Yup! He gets put back on his cage when he gets too nippy. When he calms down, I re offer a hand. I think he is starting to get the message. So far today, haven't got bitten. Maybe I'm getting better at "reading" him, too.

Oh, hawkhead parrots! Lol

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
He's such a goof. Challenge or not, love this little guy!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
He is just beautiful:) Those are awesome pictures, so clear and vivid.

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Few more.. this time got one with the crest up! Too bad the front part is out of focus. I'll get a good one, some day!

OP
95talongirl

95talongirl

Jul 24, 2012
IL
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon, Mopar
Nikon d7000 for the ones on the first page and the lasest ones. Nikon d40 for the ones right before. :)

Two different lenses, too. A 50mm 1.4 and a 70-200 2.8

Thanks! Glad you like them!

Most Reactions

Latest posts