New member :) meet rio.... Help please

JAYE

Oct 29, 2017
Suffolk
Parrots
RIO THE B&G :)
:blue1: Hi everyone :)

We're new here so I'd like to introduce you to our baby Rio :)

We got him about 2 months ago and he is the LOVE of our lives! Rio is 7 months old and although I refer to him as a 'he', he's currently unsexed.

Rio is our first bird and we're learning every day but I have a question.
Does anyone else have a blue & gold macaw with a small bald spot on his/her chest? It's about the size of a coin and not always visible but when looking its there.
Is this normal? I do believe he is moulting as I find little grey baby feathers about the place but he's definitely not plucking.

Rio is a very tame and loving bird, hes not just our pet but hes part of the family. He loves to play and cuddle and he's never bitten and is out of his cage for most of the day.

Any help appreciated :)

Many thanks! :blue1:

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 67
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 66
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 66
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 68
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Where is the spot? Sometimes with young birds, you may see some skin around the crop area before it really fills in. Lower, you may see a spot in the middle, which is above the vent.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
For his feet, consider adding some nice branches, even if you cut your own! Sycamore, Maple, and Bottlebrush are all good choices. The diameter of that dowel is much too small!

OP
JAYE

JAYE

Oct 29, 2017
Suffolk
Parrots
RIO THE B&G :)
If you click the last photo of him laid on his back (awaiting rubs haha) its just slightly higher than the middle of his chest...

I hoped it was 'normal', but I had to check!

Thanks for the replies :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
He is beautiful! Welcome and be welcomed. So read all the stickies on the Macaw subforum, especially those by Birdman666.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums! Thanks for joining and sharing Rio, he seems a beautiful and well adjusted macaw! Love the pics, particularly the one in-flight!

Most Reactions

Latest posts