.New member of the family.

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
Hey everyone, i am posting my pictures here, coming from the introduction thread where i had people guess what type of bird i was bringing home. Well i got her home tonight.

I have to say, this is a pretty amazing bird. She is super sweet, i think she likes me already, will step up, let me scritch and pet her back. She traveled very well. At first she was kind of flustered in the carrier, so as in the pictures you can see i pulled over to a gas station and took her out. She hung out while i pet her, then i gave her a few peanuts and water. Then i put her back into the carrier...no hassles she was just great. At home now she is a little more finicky as to when she steps up. Once i got her back in her cage she was kind of "testing" me so to speak. Which i was prepared for with my extensive research and on this forum. So i just let her do it, and she at one point put her beak around my finger like she was going to bite, in an agressive fast manor, so i didn't pull it away. She didnt bite it...slowly took her mouth off it, then decided to step up :rolleyes:...it really is amazing how they just want to see what you will do. And at one point she puts one foot on my hand...just holds it there for a bit, then takes it off. Then trys the testing lunge...but then steps up! So overall i am extremely happy with her demeanor and attitude she really does seem to like me so far.

i will post pictures now of her, her name is Angel, she is 14 years old. What do you guys think of her? Is she in good feather? Seems a few are out of place on the back side, and some others are kinda rough? but i dont exactly know what to look for this being my first bird. So if anyone can give me THEIR opinion on the condition of feather, i would really appreciate it. And if they are bad, would change in diet fix? Really to me they look just OK, but i am not sure.

Also another question for everyone, is about what i paid for her. I am just curious if i paid high or low or just right. I would have gladly paid more after being able to spend some time with her she is just awesome. Its more out of interest just to know? I paid $1,150...and she came with a large cage, toys...and small carrier. No reason to sugar coat it if i vastly overpaid i am OK :D i would just like to know opinions....the prices i saw online seem to vary pretty widely so i never got a good feeling what they go for.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
She looks very relaxed, like she's always lived with you.

I wouldn't have a problem paying that price. A decent cage will set you back a big proportion of that amount. You can't really judge prices for pets because you can't compare the "cheaper" or more expensive ones and what might make them "worth it". There are other factors which influence price. Sometimes people have to rehome quickly and so list at a low price.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
You got a grey that was comfortable with you from the get go. I'd say you got an excellent deal. Even babies are often shy around new people, do you did great.

OP
J

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots

You got a grey that was comfortable with you from the get go. I'd say you got an excellent deal. Even babies are often shy around new people, do you did great.

Yes i am extremely happy with this. Guess i wonder if she is comfortable around all people, or if she just likes me. I will pretend she just likes me hehe :p

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013

Yes i am extremely happy with this. Guess i wonder if she is comfortable around all people, or if she just likes me. I will pretend she just likes me hehe :p

Either way I'd say you did well.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow! Angel looks like such a doll :D! Congratulations again. Sounds like you got a well socialized bird who with a little time will be a wonderful friend! That's a very good sign that she trusts you and seems to like you that much from the very beginning.

I also think it's hard to put a price on something as unique as a live animal when it clicks with you, and is the ONE. How can you attach a price to that?! That's about the price of a baby from a breeder or lower priced bird store, but I'd have paid it too if this individual is the one and I knew that.

She looks good... she's in full feather. Since you're asking about her feathers, I'd say all she needs is a good bath. I wonder if she is accustomed to baths? Some people spray or mist with a bottle, some take them in the shower, or person stands outside shower, some prefer a bowl style bath. Mine hate baths, and I feel bad, but they still get it. Done regularly, it will make her feathers look great guaranteed!

Last edited:
OP
J

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots

Wow! Angel looks like such a doll :D! Congratulations again. Sounds like you got a well socialized bird who with a little time will be a wonderful friend! That's a very good sign that she trusts you and seems to like you that much from the very beginning.

I also think it's hard to put a price on something as unique as a live animal when it clicks with you, and is the ONE. How can you attach a price to that?! That's about the price of a baby from a breeder or lower priced bird store, but I'd have paid it too if this individual is the one and I knew that.

She looks good... she's in full feather. What her feathers need is a good bath. I wonder if she is accustomed to baths? Some people spray or mist with a bottle, some take them in the shower, or person stands outside shower, some prefer a bowl style bath. Mine hate baths, and I feel bad, but they still get it. Done regularly, it will make her feathers look great guaranteed!

They told me that the original owner (of her first 13 years) would take showers with her, like in his shower. They never did that just used a spray bottle.

I am not opposed to that, but i have read that unless its spring water they shouldn't have it?..so does them taking a shower under tap water, or like myself rural water...will that hurt them?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
So now I'm curious.... since I know you did a lot of research before deciding on a species, what was it that make you decide on a Congo Grey?

Tap water is fine ;) That's what most of us have running out of our faucets and showers!

Last edited:
OP
J

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots

So now I'm curious.... since I know you did a lot of research before deciding on a species, what was it that make you decide on a Congo Grey?

Well reading about their intelligence was a big draw, not just talking i dont mind if they talk or not. Though she has said a few things, namely so far "hi angel"....

I did read about them having some trust issues, fear issues, etc...but i was/am fully ready to put in the time to make the bird comfortable with me. though it seems i lucked out on that with this particular bird.

Also another thought was that greys dont scream like macaws do. Man can macaws be LOUD....i dont mind it all that much, but i would by lying if i said it wasn't a tiny factor.

Also, i have read lots of places that grays don't like to be pet/touched. BUT, in tons of videos i have seen of peoples actual pets, they seemed to be very loving birds, and that holds true with this one. I am sure there are many that are not to.

I dont know really...from reading and reading i kind of just went with my gut feeling on this choice. And i am glad i did, she really is awesome i look forward to spending lots of time with her. Besides going out for work i am kind of a home body, so she get plenty of out of cage time hanging with me. Just need to be careful about my dogs and cats.

So not sure if "gut feeling" is the answer you were looking for or not haha!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Just need to be careful about my dogs and cats.
Be totally paranoid, not just careful! I loved my Gcc, tango, how used to play with my other pets, and when my back was turned, they killed her in an instant! I freak every day with my JoJo. Cuz no matter how careful u are, the day comes when the impossible happens and the little guy pays the price!!
Nuff said!
Awsum baby! Am so jealous! Wished I could give her a hug, but real guys don't eat quiche!
David

OP
J

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots

Just need to be careful about my dogs and cats.
Be totally paranoid, not just careful! I loved my Gcc, tango, how used to play with my other pets, and when my back was turned, they killed her in an instant! I freak every day with my JoJo. Cuz no matter how careful u are, the day comes when the impossible happens and the little guy pays the price!!
Nuff said!
Awsum baby! Am so jealous! Wished I could give her a hug, but real guys don't eat quiche!
David

Ya im sorry to hear that happened to you.

My current plan is to only have them out in the same room if i am actively watching them. if i need to do something...like cook or go somewhere else, bird comes with me or in cage for a bit. never not watching....hopefully its ok.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Awww...she's beautiful! Congats! Glad she's so comfortable and at home with you!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Congratulations! Angel is a real beauty! I think you paid a reasonable price for her and beyond that I think the bond you build with her will be priceless. Excellent choice, enjoy getting to know your new companion.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Angel looks spectacular! Considering she's only just met you, pretty much, I'd say her trust in you already is amazing.

Seriously, you've won the CAG Lottery!

OP
J

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots

Angel looks spectacular! Considering she's only just met you, pretty much, I'd say her trust in you already is amazing.

Seriously, you've won the CAG Lottery!

I am very happy about this!...she is so sweet.

After the very first time when she was testing, now she steps up every time. She will take scritches almost whenever...the petting on the back she has stopping wanting to happen for now.

She will give kisses to. And just talks up a storm its crazy.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Her former home was obviously a good one. She was loved and well-treated. Shame her person died and that her next home didn't work out, but she's landed on her feet again and is a very lucky girl to have come to your home.

OP
J

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots

Her former home was obviously a good one. She was loved and well-treated. Shame her person died and that her next home didn't work out, but she's landed on her feet again and is a very lucky girl to have come to your home.

Her first home of 13 years most likely was a good one yes due to her behavior. But that owner didn't die, he sold her to this most recent home. I was never given a reason why he did.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Oh, sorry, don't know where I got that he'd died from. Either I assumed it, or got confused with someone else's adoptee.

OP
J

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots

Oh, sorry, don't know where I got that he'd died from. Either I assumed it, or got confused with someone else's adoptee.

No problem i thought that at first i am not sure why someone would give it up.

BEWolf

Mar 5, 2014
Lansing, NC, USA
Parrots
Harley and Marley mated pair of budgies, age unknown
Rajah and Keeta, mated pair of parrotlets, ages 6yrs. and 11yrs. respectively
Kiki, Senegal, F., 7yrs.
Kookooloo, CAG, F., 14 yrs.
Mimi, YHA, F., 1
There is no way to judge the price that you paid for his bird and what came with it, other than to say that if you are happy then the price was fair. Always be overly cautious when it comes to birds interacting with dogs and cats. Dogs and cats are predators and your bird is not and the dog or cat is much faster than you are. A cat's saliva can be toxic to your bird, so please be careful.
The kitchen is not a safe place for a bird to be especially when cooking, all it takes is one time for your bird to fall into a pot of boiling water. And this is only one of many dangers for a bird in a kitchen.

Most Reactions