new orange wing amazon

si7790

Nov 25, 2012
i have had this bird for two days the previous owner was scared of it so hasnt been touched in just over a year i have done a trick call power/pause and i am now able to touch and scratch its head and she is fine sometimes goes to have a nip but i understand i have only had it for 2 days what more can i expect

am i doing the right thing but starting training straight away or should i just leave it be for a while to settle in

also second question ruffly how long does it take for a parrot to settle in to its new home

and i say it because im not sure on its sex

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey si, how long depends on many different factors. If your able to pet then things are going well. I'd say start training right away. It seems to be working for you. Where in the world are you located? Congrats on the new OWA. Loads of older threads in the amazon section, maybe you can pick up some good tips. Feel free to post questions ,we love to help.

OP
S

si7790

Nov 25, 2012
im from harlow essex in uk. i have had blue and golds , green wings and scarlet macaws and african greys before but an amazons are new to me and parrently naughty lol but thats for the info

i just thought i would ask if i was doing right thing as the poor bird has had best life she has a big cage but hasnt been out of it at all for a year i let her out the same night as i got her and she loves it

il post a picture of her soon

thanks simon

i useually dna test my birds but is it possible to take a visual guess

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Hello and welcome to the forum:)

I am also in the UK and have an Amazon.

Just give Him time to settle in.. He will be fine. If you are getting on ok with the training, then carry on.

It is not possible to guess the sex by appearance... My Zon is now 14 Months Old and I have had her from a Baby.. The Breeder assured me she was Female and said he has never guessed wrong, . I am convinced she is Male, so I have just sent off feathers for DNA and am awaiting the results.

Here is the thread that I have going>>>

http://www.parrotforums.com/off-topic/25303-poll-codie-boy-girl.html

OP
S

si7790

Nov 25, 2012
224006_4439989929599_1055365658_n.jpg

OP
S

si7790

Nov 25, 2012
is there any sites people would recomend for dna testing just there probably a few scammers out there

OP
S

si7790

Nov 25, 2012
yh i did have a quick look thanks for the link i go and have a look in a min

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey si, a couple of things . She looks to be an older OWA who has started to "barber" her feathers. This could be from the stress of being ignored and alone in her cage ,so yeah for letting her out and giving her a new home/friendship.. That perch in the picture needs to be replaced with a natural perch that is not prefect in dia. Her feet will start to suffer (bumblefoot) from being on that dirty dowel, they will cramp and become sore/infected. The rust on the cage can giving her toxins if ingested and cause serious liver issues that could kill her. Of course that cage is her home and changes like new cage/perches will need to be made slow so her will accept them.You can always start a thread in the amazon section we'd love to help improve her life and enrich yours. Thanks again for giving an older bird a fresh start to a better life. As many of us here can attest too, amazons are amazing compainions.

Last edited:
OP
S

si7790

Nov 25, 2012
thanks for the info with the macaws we use to go and get natural perchs so i will do that do i have to take a knife to the branchs that i get i was told she/he was about 3 to 4 years of age i have clean the whole bottom of the cage now

but i will add the the perchs nice and slowly it was in my plans to change cage around but i didnt want to upset the bird at all i was going to start changing in about 2weeks after getting her/him

she/he was being left as the only interaction she/he had was from a cockatiel that talked pretty well but still isnt the same the women said that she has had him /her for over a year and done nothing with her the bird was really fond of her exhusband and he use to do everything for her and use to get her out then she has straight to nothing and sitting in a cage do nothing the women put more toys in the cage but i dont think that it made up for anything

it just amazes me what people do to a pet / animal just to get back at someone it really upsets me

but you can now see why i have joined the forum as i know abit but its allways good to get new peoples thoughts and learn from them

thanks everyone

OP
S

si7790

Nov 25, 2012
also she/he has got a part of a rope toy on the bottom of the cage and if you take it away she wines like a dog and destroys all the paper at the bottom of the cage now i see her do this at womens house so i havent touched it her thought anyone know why she/he might be doing this

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
My hen zons will tear up the papers at the bottom of the cage when they get "nesty" during winter/spring.

OP
S

si7790

Nov 25, 2012
yeah oright it only does it if you take away this toy and i have some f10 to clean her cage with as well for now would it be good to use sand paper on her perches to give them a good clean . and when i get her new perches im going to leave old ones in there with the new ones and after a week im gunna take old one away and put new one in that spot

sarafigal

Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Queequeg (rescued BFA, 34)
Winston (rescued CAG, 25)
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Houdini, Peeper, and Little Blue--the Budgie Trio
My old Amazon loves to shred the paper at the bottom of her cage. Then she grabs some big piece with a foot and waves it around triumphantly, making us all aware of her status as Queequeg the conquering heroine. She also LOVES an empty cereal box, into which I toss a few bits of wood, shredded tissue paper, a few treats tucked into crumpled little paper cups, etc. Foraging heaven. She doesn't play with toys, per se; but foraging is a great way to get her active and excited.

OP
S

si7790

Nov 25, 2012
just a little update i havent been putting anything up for a while me and the amazon getting on ok still not stepping on to my hand yet and still goes to have a nip every now and again but she has start do more things make different noises some that can be a little annoying when ur on the phone (e.g sex noises lol it sound as so its a women and it get faster making the sound as there about to reach climax ) it is funny though but i dont know what my mate thought i was doing lol . but she/he will now come from one end of the cage to the other when i ask if it wants a scratch and started to give me kiss but im going to keep up with the good work with it and hope for the best i havent yet got any natural perches yet but i have taken sand paper and f10 disinfect on the old ones and they have come up a treat im still planning on some new natural ones just got to find some good ones

thanks everyone for reading

Most Reactions

Latest posts