New Parrot

ome

Feb 15, 2018
Hello ParrotForum,

We have got a parrot from last seven days. We have got it from a friend and we don’t know where he has got it from. He says he is hand tamed and was with its parents. The day we got him in the afternoon and in the evening he stated going up and down the cage from side to side constantly for more than an hour. We felt that he wanted to get out of his cage. Every time whenever we passed through his cage he would move from one area to the other. We felt like he is scared. I don’t know why... But, our friend advise us to let him be in the cage for a week or more and keep feeding him. He has been in the cage from last seven days till yesterday.

We decided to let him out in the morning. Then as he came out he was hiding himself underneath the furniture. Finally he decided to go towards the window and sat there for a long time.

We didn’t know what to do and we decided to put him back in his cage. He didn’t like it. He made lots of noises as I tried to catch him with a towel. Same day yesterday our friend who gave us the parrot came to see him. He let him out again and the same thing happened. It wasn’t pleasant for the bird and neither for us.

He is still with us. Now, this morning I let him out again and I put a security camera in the room to see what is he up to. He came out and he was browsing through the room I was present in the room. He started hiding again... As he was frightened. I wouldn’t belame him. I left the room but I was monitoring him with the help of a camera. He stayed outside for an hour or so and returned to his cage to have food. He did this three times. He is still out and I am watching him. He goes to the window and stays there and comes back to his cage again.

When he went back to his cage this morning after being outside. I tried putting some fruit in the cage bowl and he didn’t my hand and made a noice.

Is it normal for a hand tamed bird acting like this.

I need some help please...

Thanks

Ehsan

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Any bird can be scared when having a change of environment.
I would not advise catching the bird with a towel. It is scary for the bird and will make them learn that you make something scary happen to them and so they will be scared of you as a result.
You need to built trust with the bird, which can take a long time. The best thing to do is build trust. When the bird is in the cage. Be in the same room. Be far away from the cage. How does the bird behave? Sit calmly, read out loud so the bird becomes used to the sound of your voice. If the bird is calm move a little closer. If the bird becomes uncomfortable, move a bit further away. Get the bird to learn you are not a scary threat. They will let you know what distance they feel comfortable with. Do not push them or rush them and respect their boundaries. Make sure the bird is hungry when you let them out of the cage, then you can easily get them to go back in by themselves by putting food in the cage.
When the bird is comfortable with you being near the cage, try feeding treats through the bars. The bird might be scared. So stay still and be patient, you might have to hold the treat for a long time before they take it.
Once you have the bird taking treats from you, everything else gets easier.

What type of parrot do you have and what size is the cage?

Hopefully someone else may be able to offer you more advice.

Last edited:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. You are getting very good advice Ehson. Be patient, even if the parrot is supposed to be "hand tame". Some birds act like nothing happend, some act like they were thrown into a pit of fire. Its up to you and family to make this littel creature a part of your family. Could take a few weeks, some large birds who might have suffered abuse might take months or even a year. The thing to remember is you want to give this little life a forever home, right? SO no rushing to do stuff.

What kind of parrot and what is his name?

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Any bird can be scared when having a change of environment.
I would not advise catching the bird with a towel. It is scary for the bird and will make them learn that you make something scary happen to them and so they will be scared of you as a result.
You need to built trust with the bird, which can take a long time. The best thing to do is build trust. When the bird is in the cage. Be in the same room. Be far away from the cage. How does the bird behave? Sit calmly, read out loud so the bird becomes used to the sound of your voice. If the bird is calm move a little closer. If the bird becomes uncomfortable, move a bit further away. Get the bird to learn you are not a scary threat. They will let you know what distance they feel comfortable with. Do not push them or rush them and respect their boundaries. Make sure the bird is hungry when you let them out of the cage, then you can easily get them to go back in by themselves by putting food in the cage.
When the bird is comfortable with you being near the cage, try feeding treats through the bars. The bird might be scared. So stay still and be patient, you might have to hold the treat for a long time before they take it.
Once you have the bird taking treats from you, everything else gets easier.

What type of parrot do you have and what size is the cage?

Hopefully someone else may be able to offer you more advice.

Welcome to the Parrot Forums family!

Excellent advice, above. It definitely takes some time to earn a bird's trust. Some birds more so than others. The keys come down to patience, persistence, consistency and perceptiveness.

Patience and persistence because, as Al (Wrench13) pointed out, this could take anywhere from days or weeks to months or even a year+. Don't give up. It is so worth it once you finally earn their trust.

Consistency because your bird needs stability. A framework for his new life. Everything has been flipped on its head for him, and he needs a new sense of normal to give him a feeling of security.

And finally, perceptiveness. Observe his body language. Pay close enough attention and you will begin to get a sense of his likes and dislikes. A sense of his moods. When he is fearful. When he is confident. When he wants something. When he is content. As you become more sensitive to his needs, you will be better able to form the basis of communications between you.

I don't know whether he was ever hand tame. Maybe he was, but was just so freaked out that even his former owner couldn't get through to him. Or maybe he never was, in which case you will have a harder time earning his trust. But either way, just hang in there and go at his pace.

Oh! And Violet_Diva is absolutely right. Avoid chasing him down with a towel to put him back in his cage. That will only set you back in your attempts to earn his trust. If you have set meal times rather than a free-feeding schedule, getting him back in the cage should be relatively easy. You can let him out of the cage near meal time, and then you'll be able to lure him back in with food.

A good ice breaker and great foundation for working with a skittish bird is target training. Here is a good link for it: [ame="https://youtu.be/HaOicTtwIZo"]Beginners guide to target training parrots - YouTube[/ame]

OP
O

ome

Feb 15, 2018
Hi,

It is Alexandrine Parrakeet. His name is Mettu. Please see the picture attached... the existing cage is not that big. However, we have ordered the new cage which is big I think please see the pictures attached...

Attachments

• FBB12A21-59F1-453B-9A02-E8EF1DBB3938.jpg
    FBB12A21-59F1-453B-9A02-E8EF1DBB3938.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 80
OP
O

ome

Feb 15, 2018
His new cage will come tomorrow

Attachments

• 3EECF3E0-215C-4ABD-B809-FC867126CE68.jpeg
    3EECF3E0-215C-4ABD-B809-FC867126CE68.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 75
OP
O

ome

Feb 15, 2018
Thanks very much to all of you. His name is Mittu for short Derived from the word mētta in Theravada Buddhism (in Pali script) means unconditional loving-kindess.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Ehsan and Mettu, thanks for joining and seeking ways to ease the journey. No matter how hand-tamed a parrot, a new home will prove confusing and unsettling. It can take two weeks or more to feel comfortable, meanwhile providing support and safety will allow you to bond with Mittu.

You'll have many questions as time passes, please review some of the links provided and especially the Alexandrine Forum: Alexandrines - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

Very nice cage you have on order! One bit of caution with the overhead "clamshell" doors; when opened they must be secured well with a properly fitting perch to prevent them from slamming shut, possibly injuring Mettu.

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Welcome to you and Mittu. I love the meaning behind his name. He's in a new environment right now where everything is unfamiliar. Just work with him on taming and some training. Eventually he'll come around at his pace. He will appreciate the extra room in that cage. Things are just new for now. Read the forums/ask questions, there is wealth of info here and also an Alexandrine section as Scott pointed out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts